UAE Insurers Refuse To Pay Out For Flood Victims

Topic locked
UAE insurers refuse to pay out for flood victims Mar 03, 2010
Insurance companies in the UAE are refusing to cover damage to vehicles caused by the heavy rainfall of the last few days, according to reports.

Insurance firms have dismissed claims on the grounds that the policyholder standard imposed by the UAE Ministry of Economy does not cover natural disasters, including the widespread flooding which has afflicted the Emirates this week, reported Arabic daily Emarat Al Youm.

According to the newspaper, only 40 percent of insurance policies in the country cover damage specifically caused by flooding.

One disappointed policyholder, Salam Al Suwaidi, told the newspaper that his insurance had failed to cover the damage caused to his car, which was left without electrics after being caught in flooding in Sharjah.

“Why pay AED5000 for comprehensive insurance?” he asked. “What is the difference between the damage to my car, whether caused by an accident or deterioration or from rain?”

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/582799-u ... od-victims

They need to publish a list of the Companies that refuse the claims so that we can all shift away from them.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: UAE insurers refuse to pay out for flood victims Mar 04, 2010
Although no matter how shitty this may sound, but the companies are in the green legally. If you bother to read the fine print on the policiy it does state that your car is not covered under acts of nature like floods, fires, earthquakes etc etc and a whole other host of stuff which it also doesn't cover some even include theft, vandalism etc, etc even

If there is no such fine print in your policy then you have a full right to claim compensation.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

A few days rain is not considered a "natural disaster". This exclusion is usually reserved for real natural disasters like earthquake, volcanic erruptions and tsunamis etc.

The insurers have a duty to pay out and to reclaim their losses from Dubai Municiplaity who are responsible for the lack of drainage, even in new developments. In the UK this would be straightforward because our government and local councils are accountable for their negligence.

I would bet 100dhs those companies that are refusing to pay out, are the cheap Arabic insurance companies. The Dubai based UK and American insurers like AXA, HSBC, Sun Alliance and Lloyds TSB etc will all pay out for flood damage.

Furthermore what the hell has the ministry of ecomomy got to do with the small print on any insurance policy. They cannot dictate what can be covered, insurance is not a "regulated industry" even in the UAE.
arniegang

arniegang wrote:A few days rain is not considered a "natural disaster".

It is here. :D

Actually most of the idiots here deserve not to be paid for their stupidity. Like that last rains a month back or so. This idiot was trying to cross a completely flooded street in a Nissan Z a low slung sports coupe. When there were much bigger 4x4's stalled at the same place. And to top it all off that too from the deeper side of the road. maybe if close to the center barrier where the water was much much less , where I crossed and I drive a 3" lifted Land Rover with tall tyres he just migth have made it !

But the poor folk you woke up in the morning to find their cars submerged, should but most probally wont :(

P.S : This isn't UK :D
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
arniegang wrote:A few days rain is not considered a "natural disaster".

It is here. :D

Actually most of the idiots here deserve not to be paid for their stupidity. Like that last rains a month back or so. This idiot was trying to cross a completely flooded street in a Nissan Z a low slung sports coupe. When there were much bigger 4x4's stalled at the same place. And to top it all off that too from the deeper side of the road. maybe if close to the center barrier where the water was much much less , where I crossed and I drive a 3" lifted Land Rover with tall tyres he just migth have made it !

But the poor folk you woke up in the morning to find their cars submerged, should but most probally wont :(

P.S : This isn't UK :D

Sorta agree with you mate.

Yea i know mate "its not the UK" but as i said there are plenty of UK insurers doing business in Dubai, i have just looked at my old (UAE) HSBC and AXA policies for my Jeep and flood is indeed covered.
arniegang

Axa is a good company and the only one I think that provides commerical offroad insurance aswell.

And you drove a Sheep(Jeep) !

We can no longer be friends anymore !!!
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Axa is a good company and the only one I think that provides commerical offroad insurance aswell.

And you drove a Sheep(Jeep) !

We can no longer be friends anymore !!!

Oi !!!!!

I loved my little grand cherokee if you please and..... it took me to hatta pools on many occasions :lol:

(and........ yea i know the pools are lightweight) .

In fact a sorta old regular here has got it now :)
arniegang

Re: UAE insurers refuse to pay out for flood victims Mar 05, 2010
Ah. Grand Cherokees are just fine its the wrangler variant of sheep I was thinking about
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Ah. Grand Cherokees are just fine its the wrangler variant of sheep I was thinking about

Sheeep!? Sheeeeepp?!? Baaaaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaa baaaaa :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

(Rudeboy engine imitation on his Ferrari skelter)

RobbyG

desertdudeshj wrote:Although no matter how shitty this may sound, but the companies are in the green legally. If you bother to read the fine print on the policiy it does state that your car is not covered under acts of nature like floods, fires, earthquakes etc etc and a whole other host of stuff which it also doesn't cover some even include theft, vandalism etc, etc even

If there is no such fine print in your policy then you have a full right to claim compensation.

The flooding was not a result of a "natural disaster". Unless of course you look at it this way: It's a disaster that the government didn't factor in drainage systems when laying those roads. It's only natural that the water would have no where to flow. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Try explaining those technicalities to the insurance firms.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Try explaining those technicalities to the insurance firms.

Try the government, so they can maintain the clogged drainage system every once in a while.

That would leave the insurance companies with an incentive to insure these risks at reasonable prices. Now, the prices are too high, insurance program participation is low or absent and so its an unviable insurance stream of income.

Government has an opportunity here to make the private sector work.
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Try explaining those technicalities to the insurance firms.

Try the government, so they can maintain the clogged drainage system every once in a while.

That would leave the insurance companies with an incentive to insure these risks at reasonable prices. Now, the prices are too high, insurance program participation is low or absent and so its an unviable insurance stream of income.

Government has an opportunity here to make the private sector work.

what the GOV has to do with a contract done by two parties and they agreed on its terms .

GOV will set rules and regulations but will not interfere unless one party has Breached the contract terms.

and for the insurance company there are some company who are willing to give full insurance including any

damage done by natural disasters however you have to pay extra cash .
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat