A Reminder That Victims Get Jailed!

Topic locked
A reminder that victims get jailed! Mar 30, 2011
Just a shocking horrible story! It's really put me off the place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1I6KoVOch

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: A Reminder That Victims Get Jailed! Mar 30, 2011
And no mention of the guys who allegedly spiked her drink. Clearly she knew who they were if they were co-workers. I hope she sues the pants off them and wins, although it won't change what happened to her.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: A Reminder That Victims Get Jailed! Mar 30, 2011
we can't disagree on what happened is a real tragedy...
but from a point of view, we all live in Dubai and we know how things at hotels (specially good reputed ones) work, and from this story I think there is a lot missing...
beside this part
Australian embassy staff advised Ms Gali and her family not to go to the media during her time in custody, when she was locked in a cell with 30 other women
do you think something like this could happen?....
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: A reminder that victims get jailed! Mar 31, 2011
mahmood daily mail and the SUN are the MOST authentic newspaper in the UK!! Especially the page 2 ;) So most brits usually believe in the SUN!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

She alleges the resort encouraged workers to drink illegally, despite strict laws and the requirement of drinking permits.

How does a resort encourage workers to drink? Why has it taken her two years to decide to sue?

Rudeboy, I think you mean page 3.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: A Reminder That Victims Get Jailed! Mar 31, 2011
Hope this story gets more media coverage, im no lawyer , but is it possible to make a case against a foreign organization within the local legal system ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

@bethsmum yes I meant page 3. seems like you have seen page 3 alot!!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:@bethsmum yes I meant page 3. seems like you have seen page 3 alot!!!

No Rudeboy, I don't read the Sun, I'm a Mail reader. I gather all of my knowledge there. Did you know that 80% of British women wear the wrong size bra? A very valuable piece of information. Plus I learned yesterday that snail slime eradicates wrinkles and there will be a new cream available shortly.
You don't get all that in the Sun! I only know it's Page 3 as it's a national institution.
Bethsmum

Re: A reminder that victims get jailed! Apr 02, 2011
For the doubters, that link was just the first one I saw. This story has been reported on every major newswire in Australia too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 176901.htm

The reason she was probably told not to go to the press initially, was because any fuss and the authorities probably would have given her a harsher sentence and had it tied up for a lot longer.

I hope she drags them through the courts and gets something out of it.

This is exactly why so many s.e.x crimes here go unreported.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: A Reminder That Victims Get Jailed! Apr 02, 2011
Here are some very insightful comment on AB.com on this case

salman
Thursday, 31 March 2011 2:48 PM - UAE
I've lived here all my life. And I know for a fact that the law, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to outsiders, is still more helpful for females in such cases. As a Muslim country the authorities are more concerned about the female person in such cases. So I find it hard to believe if anything wrong was done to the victim. There must be more to the story that is not being reported as starwoods is not a local chain, it is a worldwide brand that cannot accept such things so easily. There is more to the story than is being told.

The perpetrators (who were all foreign nationals by the way) were punished and served jail time.
Alicia was not jailed because she was raped, or because she reported the incident. She must have admitted during her police report that she has had male visitors to her room on previous occasions.
This is an offence in the UAE, one that cannot be overlooked.
e.g. If you report someone stealing a laptop from your car, and police find out that "your" car is actually stolen, you will go to jail for stealing the car, not because you reported the theft.
She should not have mentioned her relationship with men and focused on the rape complaint.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:Here are some very insightful comment on AB.com on this case

salman
Thursday, 31 March 2011 2:48 PM - UAE
Alicia was not jailed because she was raped, or because she reported the incident. She must have admitted during her police report that she has had male visitors to her room on previous occasions.
This is an offence in the UAE, one that cannot be overlooked.

Not exactly justice, but he's right... its the law in Dubai.
Moral of the story, don't drink with you sub-continent co-workers and don't bother reporting it. You should know their names and addresses, and I am sure that a Bangledeshi hitman isn't that expensive.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Having been shaken down by the police in this country myself - I'm not the least bit surprised by this story.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: A reminder that victims get jailed! Apr 06, 2011
The Keystone Kops couldn't arrest anyone if it involved actually investigating anything or following a trail of evidence, they rely on scare tactics to elicit a 'confession'.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat