UAE Citizenship

Topic locked
UAE citizenship Oct 02, 2009
Hey Everyone.... I'm married to a uae local... and as we all know uae does not allow u to have duel citizenship.... so unless someone can help me figure out how to secretely have both..

lol but more importantly i want to know the benefits and downfalls of UAE citizenship in comparision to Aussie citizenship.

thanx

Aiysha
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: UAE citizenship Oct 02, 2009
Aiysha wrote:Hey Everyone.... I'm married to a uae local... and as we all know uae does not allow u to have duel citizenship.... so unless someone can help me figure out how to secretely have both..

lol but more importantly i want to know the benefits and downfalls of UAE citizenship in comparision to Aussie citizenship.

thanx

Before you become qualified to acquire the UAE citizenship, you first have to officially relinquish your Aussie citizenship and hand in your Aussie passport to the UAE authorities. The UAE will then send your passport to the Australian Embassy with your affidavit in which you renounced your Aussie citizenship.

So you really can’t keep it a secret, unless the Aussies give your passport back to you later on. However I don’t think they will do that anyway, unless you perhaps can prove to them that you had to relinquish your Aussie citizenship under undue duress!

Check with the Australian Embassy first.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 02, 2009
do u know anything in regards to the comparison between what UAE offers its citizens and Australia...
Aiysha
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 02, 2009
Aiysha wrote:do u know anything in regards to the comparison between what UAE offers its citizens and Australia...

As to the advantages of having the UAE citizenship, I’m sure your husband can explain all that to you. There are of course many advantages if you decide to live here for good.

But you must know there are many conditions that must be met before you can apply for the UAE citizenship. Being a wife of a UAE citizen does not automatically give you the immediate right to get the UAE citizenship.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 02, 2009
In the UAE there is big diffrence between citizenship ( jinsiya ) and nationality ( Jawaz=passport ). You might get UAE nationality( i.e passport ) but I doubt you will get citizenship.

I know a few friends who are nationals but not citizens
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 02, 2009
If you travel outside of the UAE and GCC countries, you will need to get visas every time you travel and for your children as well. That will take time and also you will need permission to leave the country
from your husband.
On the other hand if you want to do business here in the UAE, it is much easier with a UAE passport, as well as buying real estate.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 02, 2009
I heard that you need to be at least 10 years in marriage with local and then your husband can ask about your citizenship from authority and after that the authority makes desision in a few years.
After that you will have a FULL citozenship. My relative passed all procedure and have an UAE passport now.

I guess there are a lot of benefits from UAE citizenship: better salary, pension after 10 years, more opportumities for business.

Visas to EU and USA are not a big problems for UAE citizens.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: UAE citizenship Oct 04, 2009
Aiysha wrote:Hey Everyone.... I'm married to a uae local... and as we all know uae does not allow u to have duel citizenship.... so unless someone can help me figure out how to secretely have both..

thanx

I would strongly suggest you keep your Aussie passport. you dont know what s ahead in your life. I am sure now everything is pretty, but in case of divorce you would find yourself without a citizenship at all ! just go online you will find abundant litterature about hellish situations expat women put themselves in.
Already the rights of women in the UAE are not exactly the same than for men, and criticizing women's rights is a punishable offence.
without your Aussie passport, you wont be able to exit the country without your husband's consent, it s not him, it s the law.
It is much easier for a man to divorce his wife than it is for a woman, and by law he can marry 3 other wives, which would not give you any reasons for divorce.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

gertrude wrote:

thanx

I would strongly suggest you keep your Aussie passport. you dont know what s ahead in your life. I am sure now everything is pretty, but in case of divorce you would find yourself without a citizenship at all ! just go online you will find abundant litterature about hellish situations expat women put themselves in.
Already the rights of women in the UAE are not exactly the same than for men, and criticizing women's rights is a punishable offence.
without your Aussie passport, you wont be able to exit the country without your husband's consent, it s not him, it s the law.
It is much easier for a man to divorce his wife than it is for a woman, and by law he can marry 3 other wives, which would not give you any reasons for divorce.

A very good advice!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

gertrude wrote: I am sure now everything is pretty, but in case of divorce you would find yourself without a citizenship at all !

What a nonsence you are talking about. There ia absolutely opposite situation in the UAE - many wives file for divorce just after granting citizenship and then have all rights. That's why authority made so long time for them being married (10 years) before citizenship.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 04, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I heard that you need to be at least 10 years in marriage with local and then your husband can ask about your citizenship from authority and after that the authority makes desision in a few years.
After that you will have a FULL citozenship. My relative passed all procedure and have an UAE passport now.

I guess there are a lot of benefits from UAE citizenship: better salary, pension after 10 years, more opportumities for business.

Visas to EU and USA are not a big problems for UAE citizens.

I can guarantee you there is less hassle presenting yourself in the US or the EU with an Aussie passport, than a UAE passport.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 04, 2009
I'm not sure but I never heard of wives written permission to leave the country !! are you talking about non UAE national ?

it's a big issue for the GOV for some time now, many take advantage of the system to just to get the citizenship and there are locals who are welling to do it for money.

regarding visas issues , we get treated well when requiring visas in most countries even the US one you get an open one for 10 years in a day
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 04, 2009
Gertrude gives good advice. Why give up your Aussie nationality which gives you no hassles wherever you go in the world, for a UAE passport which makes it a pain to go anywhere.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

thanx

Kind of late to ask those questions don't you think. The "experts" here will tell you. My advise hire a lawyer for advise.
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 05, 2009
uaekid wrote:I'm not sure but I never heard of wives written permission to leave the country !! are you talking about non UAE national ?

it's a big issue for the GOV for some time now, many take advantage of the system to just to get the citizenship and there are locals who are welling to do it for money.

regarding visas issues , we get treated well when requiring visas in most countries even the US one you get an open one for 10 years in a day

Technically a woman holder of a UAE passport has to have her husband permission to leave the country, if she goes without him she should have a letter from him giving her permission - however it is not enforced, unless she is a philipina - its segregation but unfortunately true , I don't think they would ever dare ask a western woman if she had permission.
Regardless, stick to your Australian passport. you are an Aussie, not an Emirati, and never will
capsicum
BANNED

Oct 05, 2009
you can be eligible for UAE citizenship after 10 years because some women were marrying UAE locals just to get the citizenship rightaway, when you submitt UR passport , u can get another one from ur embassy if ur country law allow dual nationalties, i have seen it with some Americans
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 06, 2009
uaebadoo wrote:you can be eligible for UAE citizenship after 10 years because some women were marrying UAE locals just to get the citizenship rightaway, when you submitt UR passport , u can get another one from ur embassy if ur country law allow dual nationalties, i have seen it with some Americans

Thats fair.
Unlike Australia where they obvioulsy give citizenship to any tom banana or harry.
benwj

Oct 06, 2009
Australia I would say doesn't give citizenship away easily. I'd say it's one of the hardest palces in the world.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 06, 2009
Relatively speaking yes you are right.
benwj

Oct 06, 2009
uaebadoo wrote:you can be eligible for UAE citizenship after 10 years because some women were marrying UAE locals just to get the citizenship rightaway, when you submitt UR passport , u can get another one from ur embassy if ur country law allow dual nationalties, i have seen it with some Americans

So I have been living and working here for the last 17 years continuously, are you saying that I can apply?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 06, 2009
We can apply, thats just puts us on top of the who to deport first list
desertdudeshj

Oct 06, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:We can apply, thats just puts us on top of the who to deport first list

Yes indeed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 06, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

So I have been living and working here for the last 17 years continuously, are you saying that I can apply?

10 years applies to women marrried to UAE locals only
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2009
And what about someone who has been living and working here contiously here for the last 17 years like sage or someone like me who has been here for the last 33 years contiously ? If I split my 33 years into blocks I could be a citizen of atleast 6 countries

Do we have any sort of eligibilty for citizenship, something similar to a green card or even somekind of long term sponsorless visa ?

One day the UAE will seriosuly have to think about this issue if they really want to move forward in the international community and locally.
desertdudeshj

Oct 07, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:And what about someone who has been living and working here contiously here for the last 17 years like sage or someone like me who has been here for the last 33 years contiously ? If I split my 33 years into blocks I could be a citizen of atleast 6 countries

I just wonder why you haven't applied for the citizenship of a contry like CAN, OZ or NZ if you don't want to "return" to Pakistan.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 07, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:And what about someone who has been living and working here contiously here for the last 17 years like sage or someone like me who has been here for the last 33 years contiously ? If I split my 33 years into blocks I could be a citizen of atleast 6 countries

I just wonder why you haven't applied for the citizenship of a contry like CAN, OZ or NZ if you don't want to "return" to Pakistan.

I guess Phillipinies beckons?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 07, 2009

Do we have any sort of eligibilty for citizenship, something similar to a green card or even somekind of long term sponsorless visa ?

One day the UAE will seriosuly have to think about this issue if they really want to move forward in the international community and locally.

It’s about time to, at least, give people like you permanent residency!!!

I hope they consider it seriously, esp. for cases like you, because you guys are educated and know the language (and the culture). You're an asset to this country!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 07, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

No, I think it's 30 years before you can apply for a UAE passport.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 07, 2009
well this country does need to increase it's local population but not bcz they have been living for a period of time, he/she has to be a benefit for the country of any kind ,like a unique person in any field that is not available in local then I don't see why not...
uaekid

Oct 07, 2009
More unique than UAEkid? I doubt that it's possible at all. :wink:

I personally know a few people who was born, reised, educated, graduated and successfully worked in the UAE and then applied for Canadian citizenship and Canada was granted it to some of them recently.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat