Taxi Drivers Who Demand Tips!!!!

Topic locked
Taxi drivers who demand tips!!!! Feb 03, 2009
For some reason, most people feel obligated to tip the taxi driver every time they use a taxi. As such, taxi drivers, all over the world, have come to expect a tip from every customer that rides with them. That’s why, and as you may have noticed, these drivers take their time to give you your change back, hoping that you’d leave them part or all that change. Some even claim they don’t have enough change -- as a ploy to compel you to leave all the change to them. In some countries, I have even seen taxi drivers who boldly demand tips.

Why do we always feel the need to automatically tip taxi drivers?

We don’t tip airline pilots, flight attendants, train engineers and conductors, city bus drivers…etc. All these people transport us from point A to point B, but they don’t expect and don’t get any tips.

I only tip the taxi driver if he does something extra like helping me with my bags or waiting for me if I stop to pick up something, or helping me to find something I’m looking for… etc. Otherwise, I usually pay him the exact fare, but I may leave him the small change if he is polite and has a nice attitude! I have to admit that I pay more tips in Dubai than anywhere else, because I have a soft spot for Dubai drivers who are overworked and underpaid.

Would love to hear your experiences on how you deal with taxi drivers when it comes to tipping!

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 03, 2009
i hate Dubai Taxi drivers

i had a bad experience with them
everytime i used to book a taxi i need to wait for hours and call back again and again and they will say oh sorry another customer took the taxi..
plus when u book a taxi if u are hindi he will come fast if you are not he will let you wait in your place

ths God for my car
Miss_lolly
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 03, 2009
DUBAI TAXI DRIVERSSSSSS...!!!!!

those made me buy a car way too early otherwise i was happy to be driven around by the company car...

xl
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

if you are hindi? Feb 03, 2009
if you are hindi? you mean if you are indian and speak hindi? well anyway, one should discuss issues prior to boarding the cab. tips cannot be demanded. if they do, simply report them. everyone is afraid of getting deported!
DubaiInformationSite
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 03, 2009
I only tip them if they've been a good driver and tell them so.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 03, 2009
My experience shows that the most greedy customers are in Dubai - nobody gives tips neighter taxi drivers nor waiters, especially Indian customers...

Some ppl doesn't even wait for them...
Of cause taxi drivers trys to give change very slowly, some of them told me that they didn't have coins but I never listened any demand...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 04, 2009
Red Chief wrote:My experience shows that the most greedy customers are in Dubai - nobody gives tips neighter taxi drivers nor waiters, especially Indian customers...

Of cause taxi drivers trys to give change very slowly, some of them told me that they didn't have coins but I never listened any demand...

I always tip if the service is good.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 04, 2009
Red Chief wrote:My experience shows that the most greedy customers are in Dubai - nobody gives tips neighter taxi drivers nor waiters, especially Indian customers...

I always tipped at the restaurants until I read that a service charge is always, well almost always, included in your bill and your not supposed to tip here in Dubai. Tipping taxi drivers is a universal rule, in my opinion.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 04, 2009
If he's polite, friendly and laughs at my corny jokes, I give a tip.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Taxi drivers who demand tips!!!! Feb 04, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:For some reason, most people feel obligated to tip the taxi driver every time they use a taxi. As such, taxi drivers, all over the world, have come to expect a tip from every customer that rides with them. That’s why, and as you may have noticed, these drivers take their time to give you your change back, hoping that you’d leave them part or all that change. Some even claim they don’t have enough change -- as a ploy to compel you to leave all the change to them. In some countries, I have even seen taxi drivers who boldly demand tips.

So true...

specially when he says he got no change!!!!! I simply tell him to get me all the change to the last fills or I report him.

I always tip very much if the driver agreed to drive me to Sharjah with out any complain...
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Feb 04, 2009
K-Dog wrote:I always tipped at the restaurants until I read that a service charge is always, well almost always, included in your bill and your not supposed to tip here in Dubai. Tipping taxi drivers is a universal rule, in my opinion.

You know that nothing from the bill goes to the waiter's pocket. As I learnt from one of yr. previous message there are only about 3% of westener in Dubai, so if even most of them give the tips it doesn't make it universal rule here.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat