MOL Tells Sharjah Taxi Drivers 'If You Don't Like It Leave!'

Topic locked
Re: MOL Tells Sharjah Taxi Drivers 'If You Don't Like It Lea Nov 26, 2010
This is a management failure in running their fleet, I mean just thinking from the top of my head, they should’ve considered a less fuel consuming vehicles, reschedule & research their maintenance ( this is where it is most expensive to any fleet management ) . management should know that the more satisfied their employees are the most productive they’ll be , Its business 101.

I ones got offer a job in AD at a similar x semi government company and told be that they are loosing and need more contract to make more profit ! I told them the problem is not your customers than your management . they had a simple problem that they were not aware of which is their 5 maintenance center that the locals head section are not mechanically qualified , the Americans new managers on top of them never left their offices which is 30 KM away from their workshops :shock: and only relay on papers and emails to know what’s going on their or what car parts he is signing for at his office. They bought a new set of cars without any market research of its quality and gas consumption , durability and maintenance cost . no strategy or a clear process , too many unneeded employees ….I was to honest with them when I told that round table with 8 management personal who were interviewing me. If I get this job "2nd guy in the company" I will have to get rid of at least half of you, of course the respond was “thanks, we will call you” :?

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

What ever the problem is, the point is instead of rectifying it, acknowledging it or even taking responsiblity for it, all you will hear is the same old if you don't like it leave. And that is the crux of the problem.

And its the same with almost everything here. THAT is the problem
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

well, no surprise, and I guess these guys have nothing in hand but to take it as it is or leave,
but the question here, will that be a lesson for those who are going to replace them! or even those whom are about to take new jobs in the GCC....

To be honest we have to admit the fact that we are all visitors and we only worth profit for our employers, u should put an eye on the laborers and their wages, accommodation, or vacation system.

The problem is that, they even have worse conditions at their home countries so they accept it as it is, and employers here know that, so they aren't worried.

A good example, I know someone double nationality, when he was negotiating the salary, the employer said, which nationality do u want us to hire u with!!!! lol

yalla, khalas, good luck for these drivers...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: MOL tells Sharjah taxi drivers 'If you don't like it lea Nov 27, 2010
The taxi driver situation is one of many due to the way the labour market is structured (ie - NOC's required for everything, stamp/ban for 6m if you want to change employment, etc). It won't change because at the heart of this is the very simple truth that there is a job here which however unfair we may consider it just isn't available back in pakistan, bangladesh, etc. or it is but at a far lower salary level. I am of course referring to more blue collar work where there is an abundance of people willing to take up jobs - if you have skills/education the sitation is often different.

When the management of the taxi company said that they have 4 others willing to take the place of the 1 person resigning its genuinely true - its free market economics and there is plenty of supply out there. The only problem I can see for them is the cost of the paying for a new visa when replacing driviers that quit - Dubai is an extremely expensive place to hire/fire quickly. When you take someone on here you want it to work as the re-hire and training is a lumpy cost to sustain. I personally doubt that many taxi drivers will quit - the economics simply are not on their side.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Re: MOL tells Sharjah taxi drivers 'If you don't like it lea Nov 27, 2010
JoeTGF wrote:The only problem I can see for them is the cost of the paying for a new visa when replacing driviers that quit - Dubai is an extremely expensive place to hire/fire quickly. When you take someone on here you want it to work as the re-hire and training is a lumpy cost to sustain.

To use the words "practical" and "logical" in one sentence is unheard of here. Not only is there the rehiring expenses involved, but the process of cancelling visas and payout of end of service. They would have to writeoff the cost of bringing the first batch in and the costs to process them to enable them to work, and tack on the cost of bringing the replacements. The mind set is that of arrogance, which is exactly the attitude being shown.

Obvoiusly, this wouldn't apply to the taxi drivers, but I have seen companies that think if you hire 5 people at 5,000 per month, they will get 5 times the work done. Not true. Most on that salary are lazy, lazy, lazy. It's the monkey-peanuts concept. Whereas, it would be logical and practical to hire 2 qualified people at 9-11,000 per month. Each can produce the same amount of work as 2-1/2 people, which would probably be a "normal" day for them. End of service payout for 2 as opposed to 5. Possibly a slight saving on annual tickets as the 2 may require a more expensive ticket. Fees for 2 visas, not 5. Medical coverage for 2 rather than 5. Savings on holidays, sick leave, annual leave. At the end of the day you get what you pay for - productive employees.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: MOL tells Sharjah taxi drivers 'If you don't like it lea Nov 28, 2010
Yeah I agree but not sure paying more means necessarily gaining better or more productive employees. When I worked in the City of London some of my juniors were making ridiculous amounts at a very young age (more than I ever made when I was that young) but still complaining. Also there was no real correlation between productivity and better staff and pay - as with all jobs its how well you got in with people, who you knew, how much you moaned, etc. Also I have rarely seen that paying people more and certainly overpaying them ever garners more productivity or motivation - its strange but thats my experience - its like they are striving and working hard for the pay rise and once the get it they relax. Treat them mean and keep them keen has some while somewhat cruel also holds some lessons on how people react to their circumstances.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat