My (soon-to-be-ex) House Stinks!

Topic locked
My (soon-to-be-ex) house stinks! Apr 09, 2011
Myself and the Mrs have just spent a great deal of time and money getting our flat back to mint condition before we move out. We get home tonight and the lounge reeks of onions and cigars and the bedroom reeks of sewage and dirty drain. We have not had the A/C on since we moved in here, and the phantom smells have come and gone in the past. It only seemed to last a few hours then went away. Tonight is a whole new world of hurt!

The Mrs does not smell it as much, but because I am lax in other senses, I smell it and it is driving me nuts. It literally smells like someone dropped a coiler in the bedroom and someone is sucking on a stogie in the the lounge room. I have noticed that as the temp increases, these smells are worse. Is anyone else in JBR that has the same issues? There is a Mexican restaurant in the adjacent building but I find it hard to believe that their kitchen and toilet is venting in here!

I love this pad, but my god! The balcony door is open as well to vent.

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) House Stinks! Apr 09, 2011
That seems to be a common occurrence in buildings. The last building I was in the odor of curry or arabic food would permeate the dining area - it was coming through the vent system. Also the smell of cigarette smoke. Since I don't smoke in the apartment, it had to be from another apartment.

I also have that problem, on occasion, in my current apartment. There are times that the stink of grease used to fry food (onions!!!) in the morning - which causes me to heave and end up with no appetite, and then during the day/evening the smell of curry on occasion. Again, it's the vent system.

I go through alot of bakhour and oils!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) house stinks! Apr 09, 2011
OMG!

-- Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:46 pm --

I can't say I've experienced anything like it and I have a very sensitive nose.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) House Stinks! Apr 10, 2011
For some reason, my response to Bora never posted. It seems about 20 people moved in 2 doors down, so that might be it. The smells have been on and off, but getting worse by the day. The onions and sewer are the worst! It really comes and goes by the hour. Sometimes, it smells like someone dropped a coiler in the middle of the bedroom, and other times smells like an onion farm. The lounge tends to get wafts of smoke in , even though the A/C has never been switched on. Very weird.

We have had every blanket, pillowslip, etc drycleaned and laundered, the carpets and couches steam cleaned, but IMHO the place still reeks half the time when we come home. The onion and sewer smell is the worst! I slept on the couch last night it was so bad in the bedroom.

At least we can leave the balcony door open to air it out. It is not "that bad"...but still, I do not care to smell other's dinner, etc. We have spent a mint on air fresheners/candles/etc.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) house stinks! Apr 10, 2011
20 people have moved in two doors down? In the same flat?

I'm really looking forward to my holiday now! As well as kicking off with DU, it looks as if I will be kicking off with the neighbours and Salwan. Bring it on.
Bethsmum

You should see the piles of sand they dump in the hallway as well! There are new animals that leave their trash in the hall as well. I guess it is too much trouble to walk 20 feet and put it down the chute. It is lame, as all the bags easily fit down the chute.

You might not have the same issue, BM, as I know each building is different. Funny enough, there is a mexican restaurant and a cigar place not far from my flat, but there is no way that the smells are coming from there, it is too far. We just leave the balcony door open as that seems to suck most of it out. The bedroom can be putrid at one hour, then be fine in the next. I have dumped buckets of water, dumped drain cleaner down the drains, etc. to no avail.

I was up at 5am today, woken by the smell. Right now, no issue, but it could change. We have all the linens tucked away in the closet so the LL does not think we had an onion farm going here. I just typed too soon.....onion fest 2011 just started again! FRIG! Where the heqq is it coming from?????
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

If anyone leaves rubbish within 20 feet of my front door, they will be getting a knock on their door, at any hour, and they'd better hope it isn't after i've been on a session.

Anyways, on a lighter note....
Are you looking forward to your new life away from Dubai, DD? I see you survived your jump!
Bethsmum

Sadly,BM, they canceled my jump due to wind! I am re-booked monday now. We are looking forward to getting to Australia, indeed. Our 3 week stint in Africa will be a hoot...visiting Botswana, Victoria Falls, Harare, Johannesburg and Cape Town.

When we arrive in Aus, we will have 2 days to get sorted and visit friends in Brisbane, then off to Surfers Paradise. Our house there is on the water, complete with pool, etc. We have so much to sort out when we get there, but it will be awesome. I broke it to the Mrs. that there would be a boat purchase in the future. Not just a small tinny, but a decent 30 foot+ sailboat. We cannot have a house on the water complete with a private jetty and not have a boat..it would be rude.

We have space, so if you and Beth want to visit a colony...you are welcome.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:Sadly,BM, they canceled my jump due to wind! I am re-booked monday now. We are looking forward to getting to Australia, indeed. Our 3 week stint in Africa will be a hoot...visiting Botswana, Victoria Falls, Harare, Johannesburg and Cape Town.

When we arrive in Aus, we will have 2 days to get sorted and visit friends in Brisbane, then off to Surfers Paradise. Our house there is on the water, complete with pool, etc. We have so much to sort out when we get there, but it will be awesome. I broke it to the Mrs. that there would be a boat purchase in the future. Not just a small tinny, but a decent 30 foot+ sailboat. We cannot have a house on the water complete with a private jetty and not have a boat..it would be rude.

We have space, so if you and Beth want to visit a colony...you are welcome.

Well DD this all sounds fantastic! I'm sorry to hear about your wind. My sympathies are with Mrs DD :D
Thank you so much for your invitation! Can we make it when Chocs isn't in the vicinity? :lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

Sorry to hear about your smelly place DD, sounds bloody awfull.

It will be coming through the fresh air (thats a laugh) ducts, they generally connect all of the apartments to the Fresh Air System, unfortunately, generally as a cost saving measure "Back draft" dampers are rarely installed. This means that if your neighbour smokes or likes to fry onions, you have a great chance of enjoying the odour.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Good input, Sagey...you would know! As I mentioned, it comes and goes.....right now, no issues. To be honest it is not "that" bad..just something I am not used to. After seeing the people pile in next door, I have to wonder though.

BM, I would make sure that Chocs is clear of the house before you arrived. TBH, she is a pretty nice person, she is taking our fishes and will be here in a few hours to collect them. We have had these fish for 3 years and are glad they are going to a responsible person.

There is room and enough love at casa DD in Aus for all. You are sincerely invited.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

BM, I would make sure that Chocs is clear of the house before you arrived. TBH, she is a pretty nice person, she is taking our fishes and will be here in a few hours to collect them. We have had these fish for 3 years and are glad they are going to a responsible person.

Well now my sympathies lie firmly with the fish.
Lets hope that Chocs is far happier in real life than she appears on DF as having that miserable face peering in at you every morning will be a fate worse than death for the poor fish, and I don't like fish!
My middle daughter came home with a goldfish, she had won at a fair, one day. I made her keep it in her bedroom. It gave me the creeps. Everytime I went in, it stopped and stared at me out of one eye.
One day when she was at school I flushed it down the toilet.
Bethsmum

Murderer :shock:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

I think I figured it out! The flat next to me was vacant the whole time I have lived here, and noticed people moving in the other day. That, coupled with the fact that this place has a negative airflow, it sucks all the smells from the hallway. (It smells like popcorn in my kitchen and bedroom right now). We always have the balcony door open for fresh air, so the second you release the latch, the door swings open. Not sure how that could be fixed?

Further to what Sage said, we had the "backdraft" issue in our villa in the Ranches as well as in Mirdif. The onions and garlic used to permeate our loungeroom (depending on wind, etc.)

I don't mind the popcorn smell tonight, it is actually making me hungry!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

All you need is a few beers and a DVD and you are all set!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oh give it a rest BM, the constant personal attacks even when I'm not around just make you look pretty pathetic. Actually I hope you are there when I visit Oz, I'll tie you up behind the boat and use you as shark bait!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Well, it is a sailboat in the canals around the Coast, so the odds are pretty good you wold get a nibble! Bull sharks ahoy1

Oh....and the bl00dy onion smell is back!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Nuts to the Bull Shark, I'm going for a Great White, but I hear they're quit picky eaters! Downside is their nibble is a full on bite before they decide that you don't taste ve4ry nice - in BM's case hopefully her head, so she shuts up for once!

You want a trailer sailer like my parents have. Stick it behind the truck and tow it to wherever you want. Theirs is fast enough to ski behind as well. You can get some pretty tidy little boats.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Oh give it a rest BM, the constant personal attacks even when I'm not around just make you look pretty pathetic. Actually I hope you are there when I visit Oz, I'll tie you up behind the boat and use you as shark bait!

But..........but..............you keeping taking the bait. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

You can get some pretty good deals on boats DD, the looking around and water trials are half the fun. I'm sure Mrs DD will love it. Nothing like cruising about, a few beers and onboard bbq on the go with a line or two over the side.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I have been looking for quite awhile. It is scary how cheap they are. I would like something around 30+ feet with a cabin for little weekends away. Skiing behind a sailboat? I want my board back!

No fighting on my thread you two.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Hahaha the cat finally stood up to take a look at Douche-fish, who bashed the tank. Cat has run way scared - such a whoosy!

Well the folks boat has quite a powerfull outboard and the two rudders at the back actually come up - they're only for use under sail - so it goes some. It's actually an American boat about 26ft, not much room in the cockpit, but great for cruising about on. They've stayed on it over night.

Too late - board has already been gifted onwards, much to the annoyance of the OH - he's already got two for goodness sake.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Oh give it a rest BM, the constant personal attacks even when I'm not around just make you look pretty pathetic. Actually I hope you are there when I visit Oz, I'll tie you up behind the boat and use you as shark bait!

You'll have to catch me first! LOL! Chase me :D

-- Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:46 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:Nuts to the Bull Shark, I'm going for a Great White, but I hear they're quit picky eaters! Downside is their nibble is a full on bite before they decide that you don't taste ve4ry nice - in BM's case hopefully her head, so she shuts up for once!

You want a trailer sailer like my parents have. Stick it behind the truck and tow it to wherever you want. Theirs is fast enough to ski behind as well. You can get some pretty tidy little boats.

Bring on the Great White! I know you'll be happy with the Goldfish! Just about on your level, mentally :lol: :lol:

-- Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:48 pm --

dubaidog wrote:Well, it is a sailboat in the canals around the Coast, so the odds are pretty good you wold get a nibble! Bull sharks ahoy1

Oh....and the bl00dy onion smell is back!

never mind DD! You'll be out of that hell hole soon! :D

-- Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:51 pm --

dubaidog wrote:I have been looking for quite awhile. It is scary how cheap they are. I would like something around 30+ feet with a cabin for little weekends away. Skiing behind a sailboat? I want my board back!

No fighting on my thread you two.

Too late DD! I have an interest in the OP, Chocs is just trying to derail the topic by bragging about her parents big, bigger and biggest boat. LOL I thought DF was all about BM? :(
Bethsmum

FYI, BM I would never ever ask a friend to exclude someone, let alone someone I'd never even met. Just shows how childish you are.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) house stinks! Apr 11, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:FYI, BM I would never ever ask a friend to exclude someone, let alone someone I'd never even met. Just shows how childish you are.

What the hell are you on about now? Yawn.
Bethsmum

WHAT? I can't hear you? Why's that? Oh yeah because you're blocked!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:WHAT? I can't hear you? Why's that? Oh yeah because you're blocked!

What on earth will you find to whine about now? That's me and Sage! I'm in damn fine company :D
Bethsmum

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) House Stinks! Apr 11, 2011
dubaidog wrote:I think I figured it out! The flat next to me was vacant the whole time I have lived here, and noticed people moving in the other day. That, coupled with the fact that this place has a negative airflow, it sucks all the smells from the hallway. (It smells like popcorn in my kitchen and bedroom right now). We always have the balcony door open for fresh air, so the second you release the latch, the door swings open. Not sure how that could be fixed?

Further to what Sage said, we had the "backdraft" issue in our villa in the Ranches as well as in Mirdif. The onions and garlic used to permeate our loungeroom (depending on wind, etc.)

Further to what I said before it is normally the negative airflow that compounds the problem, especially if you have a central exhaust system, if the fresh air system is not operating properly with backdraft dampers etc., it is the exhaust system that sucks the air along with the smells from other places that are connected to the same system.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
dubaidog wrote:I think I figured it out! The flat next to me was vacant the whole time I have lived here, and noticed people moving in the other day. That, coupled with the fact that this place has a negative airflow, it sucks all the smells from the hallway. (It smells like popcorn in my kitchen and bedroom right now). We always have the balcony door open for fresh air, so the second you release the latch, the door swings open. Not sure how that could be fixed?

Further to what I said before it is normally the negative airflow that compounds the problem, especially if you have a central exhaust system, if the fresh air system is not operating properly with backdraft dampers etc., it is the exhaust system that sucks the air along with the smells from other places that are connected to the same system.

Right, we have the problem, the cause, so what's the solution Sage? Or anyone?
Bethsmum

sage & onion wrote:Further to what I said before it is normally the negative airflow that compounds the problem, especially if you have a central exhaust system, if the fresh air system is not operating properly with backdraft dampers etc., it is the exhaust system that sucks the air along with the smells from other places that are connected to the same system.

Are you talking about someone? or something? :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat