House Party

Topic locked
House Party Jun 24, 2011
so, i was invited to this house party last night by my american friend, and she been throwing crazy parties at her house every once in a while, so i said alright i'll be there and asked her if she wanted me to get her anything food or snacks, but not alcohol coz i don't drink and she knows.
i showed up at about 11 with some of the snacks she asked for, i parked by her house, gave her the bag, sprayed some cologne coz my car smelled like a take away from the food that i brought with me. once i walked in, one thing caught my eyes straight away, it wasnt the loud music, not the crazy lights in the the dark, not the pretty girls, and not the people dancing drunk all over the place. it was two emiraties in kandooras and ghutras on their heads, i'm emiraty and i didnt like it one bit, i went omg what the f@ck is this, i'm the very traditional type of emiraty, but theres no way i would show up for a party of that kind and pretty much expect the type of people who would show up and still be dressed in a kandoora, no way, it was weird, they looked weird sitting there on the couch with beer bottles in there hands, actualy its disrespectful to do that wearing the national costume and doing that in my opinion at first. second, i see the other guys looking at them in a weird way (ofcourse they would, i did too). why couldnt you just dress for the occasion? a pair of jeans and a t shirt would do just fine, dont show up to such places looking like you're entering a mosque for prayers.

but hold on, three more showed up , noooooo, what the hell is going on, common.
i went outside for some fresh air and was chatting with this south african girl, yumm, anyway and she told me that she was done drinking for the night, coz she tends to get over friendly when she starts to get drunk, and she does not want to be in that mood around them lol, i told her that i am emiraty and i'm a man and they freak me out, so i could pretty much feel what u r trying to tell me, she was actually shocked to find that i was emiraty because of the way i dress and my whole attitude in whole, anyway, then showed up another emiraty who absolutly killed it with his white suite which didnt even fit him and his girl who dressed like they came from the prom. those guys who showed up either didnt dress up for it or over killed it. thats when i said: f@ck it, i'm not staying here and left, it was just too damn weird to be there lol.
i'm like i said a very traditional type of emiraty, but i rarely wear a kandoora unless i'm at work or going to a place wear it requires me to, i'm always in western apparel otherwise, and i try my best to look my best and classiest whatever i wear weather formally or informally, and everyone is used to that about me, some even to go for a change of look and ask me for advice, change is good.

don't wear kandooras in such places, you look weird, even to me, probably mostly to me

and suits are not an exeption :lol:

general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: House Party Jun 24, 2011
Girls showing up to bars/clubs wearing abayas and sheilas and then drinking/dancing with dudes bothers me more....but that could be cuz im a girl.

But going to a house party, I dunno. I mean - I guess it really depends. I sometimes wear my abaya when I go if I'm comfortable enough with the people that will be there and sometimes I wont.

But I can see where you're coming from.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

[bushra21"]Girls showing up to bars/clubs wearing abayas and sheilas and then drinking/dancing with dudes bothers me more....but that could be cuz im a girl.

I have yet to see that!!!!

But going to a house party, I dunno. I mean - I guess it really depends. I sometimes wear my abaya when I go if I'm comfortable enough with the people that will be there and sometimes I wont.

But doesn't wearing an abaya give your the option? You have an option of keeping it on or being seen in whatever it is you are wearing underneath.

General, are you looking at the kandoora with a religious point of view or an "appearance" point of view? Would you have thought differently of them if they were in western clothes? IMO, the kandoora is more or less to "identify" being a local, (granted abused by some who are not locals but appear to be a local :) minus the ghutra) or from another part of the Middle East where the kandoora is the national dress.

As for the white suit, TBH, locals who don't usually wear western clothes either have no taste or buy ill-fitting clothes. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

^^^
Either its cheesy and flashy with the compulsory huge sunglasses with some designer name stamped in big gold letters or the satwa gangster look !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bora Bora wrote:But doesn't wearing an abaya give your the option? You have an option of keeping it on or being seen in whatever it is you are wearing underneath.

I don't understand that :( Could you explain it to me again?

Bora Bora wrote:General, are you looking at the kandoora with a religious point of view or an "appearance" point of view? Would you have thought differently of them if they were in western clothes? IMO, the kandoora is more or less to "identify" being a local, (granted abused by some who are not locals but appear to be a local minus the ghutra) or from another part of the Middle East where the kandoora is the national dress.

In my opinion, doesn't matter really why they are wearing that - either way it's disrespectful and hypocritical (in my opinion). Dressed in the traditional clothing of the Gulf region, they are not only saying they are from this culture, but also that they are Muslim - and in my opinion if you're going to be doing things that go against that culture/religion you are so blatantly portraying you should have some decency and and change into a more 'fitting' attire.

I don't really mind that they drink or go partying - it's their life and they are entitled to make their own decisions as long as its not harming other people, but dressing in the way they do along with doing those activities is just another thing that makes arabs/emiratis look that much more hypocritical and disrespectful to others.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

desertdudeshj wrote:^^^
Either its cheesy and flashy with the compulsory huge sunglasses with some designer name stamped in big gold letters or the satwa gangster look !

you know it, some guys just have sh1t for taste, or everybody wants to wear what everyone else is wearing :lol:
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

desertdudeshj wrote:^^^

I have huge sunglasses but my face is big so the small ones look weird on me :cry:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Bora Bora wrote:
[bushra21"]Girls showing up to bars/clubs wearing abayas and sheilas and then drinking/dancing with dudes bothers me more....but that could be cuz im a girl.

I have yet to see that!!!!

But doesn't wearing an abaya give your the option? You have an option of keeping it on or being seen in whatever it is you are wearing underneath.

General, are you looking at the kandoora with a religious point of view or an "appearance" point of view? Would you have thought differently of them if they were in western clothes? IMO, the kandoora is more or less to "identify" being a local, (granted abused by some who are not locals but appear to be a local :) minus the ghutra) or from another part of the Middle East where the kandoora is the national dress.

As for the white suit, TBH, locals who don't usually wear western clothes either have no taste or buy ill-fitting clothes. :)

i look at the kandoora as more as an identity and a national dress, i like to honor it by not wearing it to such places, but some might see me as a hypocrite for even being there. i would also say that i didnt think of them in any certain way, it is just that they looked weird and didnt blend or fit in at all, they definitely were in the wrong party.
girls with abayas who like to get there freak on are a big contradiction, it also reflects negatively on others, it is supposed to show ones faith and modesty, not look at me we are muslim and we are party animals, coz some will think that. if you want to party and drink, then why not wear unrevealing clothes instead of the abaya and cause the negative image for woman who actualy are modest.

as for Mr. white suit.....Damn, juast Damn :lol:
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat