My (soon-to-be-ex) House Stinks!

Topic locked
Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) House Stinks! Apr 11, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Further to what I said before it is normally the negative airflow that compounds the problem, especially if you have a central exhaust system, if the fresh air system is not operating properly with backdraft dampers etc., it is the exhaust system that sucks the air along with the smells from other places that are connected to the same system.

Are you talking about someone? or something? :wink:

:lol:

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:
Right, we have the problem, the cause, so what's the solution Sage? Or anyone?

You may recall AD_in_JBR had a similar problem that was discussed in detail on the JBRCommunity Forum some time ago, he found the problem to be the following;

http://jbrcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 727#p29727

well today finally draws a conclusion to my bad smell from A/C. Thanks to my building manager and dedicated idama staff we worked out through a process of elimination which i will share with you all.

Depending on the design of ur unit, in our case 2nd bathroom, behind the wall is a cavity about 10cm wide and the next wall. This wall is a void and not used for anything. This void however actually directly sits over where the garbage is stored near the chute/waste disposal. We had a small hole, about size of a closed fist. This is also the ceiling where the suction/filter is for the AC. So, it should draw air from just inside the sealed ceiling but it appears it was also drawing air from the cavity. hence the smell.

My advice is you need someone with intimate knowledge of the building and the mechanical services within, the maintenance contractors (IDAMA if they are still the nominated contractor) would be the ideal choice, frankly I’m surprised DD didn’t contact them to resolve the problem in the first place instead of making a song and dance about it on an internet forum, after all, they’re only a phone call away.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) house stinks! Apr 11, 2011

The solution is not so easy, as the the complete system needs a makeover, probably to bring it in line with the design, which has probably not been followed. You should initially contact the Developer, how much joy you will get from them is unknown.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:

The solution is not so easy, as the the complete system needs a makeover, probably to bring it in line with the design, which has probably not been followed. You should initially contact the Developer, how much joy you will get from them is unknown.

You can tell all this from a tenants internet forum rant? a complete system makeover of an installation that has worked well for, and is around four Years old? mind you there are two probablys in there!

:lol: :lol:

-- Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm --

Bora Bora and Ambassadress? you've got minds like sewers :shock:

:lol:
Dillon

Thanks Dillon, I will print that and go armed to Salwan or Idama or DAM or what ever they call themselves at this present time.
Something is amiss somewhere because I haven't experienced anything like it in 4 years. The only smell I used to experience was from the drain on the balcony. It wasn't that bad but I could smell it when I was out there. I poured a bottle of bleach down it which didn't solve it, so I bought a heavy duty plant pot and stood it over the drain, which did.
I'm sure I'll find a solution.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Frankly, Dillon, it was not a "tenant's internet forum rant". I have never lived in a flat before, and I know there are a few posters on here that have interests in JBR, hence the post. My worst fear living in a flat was that the halls, etc would have gross cooking smells in them, and fortunately, this place was free of all.

You seem to take my post rather personally, Dillon, you'd think you built the place yourself! "Song and dance on an internet forum"?!? Lighten up. The post was half just to make conversation and get some input. I always mentioned I like this place, so I'm not sure why the dismissive attitude? As far as contacting Idama..you need a tenancy agreement, visa copy, etc. to get anything from them. I have neither in my possession. Never mind their charming working hours of 9-4!

As I mentioned, I figured out half the issue vis-a-vis the new people next door, and the negative airflow under the door. That totally explains the popcorn, stogie, etc that come into the lounge room.

The AC in the bedroom has always been on (set to fan) which I forgot about. It gives some validity to what Sage said in this case. What is odd is that certain smells are only in certain spaces...like the onions are every only really by the kitchen/bedroom door, and the drain smell is only ever on one side of the bedroom. The drain smell is not in the attached bathroom, so it clearly is coming through the vents. Only a couple of times has it filled the bedroom and crept into the lounge, but it goes away as quickly as it arrives.

It hardly makes the place unlivable, I just noticed that it is getting worse as the weather gets warmer is all, and it is not like it is a constant thing. Good read on the link provided, thank you. The odd thing is, the bathrooms are the only place where the smell isn't! Funny that someone mentioned the airflow changes at night. That used to be the case, as the front door would slam shut during the day, and get sucked open in the evening, but not anymore. Bizarre.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Dillon wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

You can tell all this from a tenants internet forum rant? a complete system makeover of an installation that has worked well for, and is around four Years old? mind you there are two probablys in there!

-- Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm --

Bora Bora and Ambassadress? you've got minds like sewers :shock: :lol:

That's why you wuv me Dillon!!! :wink: :wink:

Sage, your posts keep getting funnier and funnier. Sounds like you know alot about "plumbing" - of course that's only in my mind. :lol: :lol:

I think this guy has it under control:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Actually Dillon, it may come as a surprise to you but the problems that DD is having are not unknown in the Middle East. "Internet forum rant" where did that come from DD was describing a problem he was having, hardly a rant.
Did you by any chance work for PM / Consultant / Contractor on JBR????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) house stinks! Apr 12, 2011
sage & onion wrote:

Actually Dillon, it may come as a surprise to you but the problems that DD is having are not unknown in the Middle East. "Internet forum rant" where did that come from DD was describing a problem he was having, hardly a rant.
Did you by any chance work for PM / Consultant / Contractor on JBR????

No Sage. I have a confession. I have expressed a level of dismay to Dillon at what has been written about my lovely flat on DF.
Bethsmum

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) House Stinks! Apr 12, 2011
Was this level of dismay regarding mine or Dillon's remarks?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:Was this level of dismay regarding mine or Dillon's remarks?

Yours DD, I have to say i was taken aback by your describing my flat as stinking. It is my pride and joy, my home away from home.
No matter, I'm sure you didn't set out to offend me.
I have a lot of respect for Dillon. I consider him a 'friend' and did tell him I was somewhat concerned about what you had written.
It doesn't really matter now, i will attempt to sort it out when I get back to JBR.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
dubaidog wrote:Was this level of dismay regarding mine or Dillon's remarks?

Yours DD, I have to say i was taken aback by your describing my flat as stinking. It is my pride and joy, my home away from home.
No matter, I'm sure you didn't set out to offend me.
I have a lot of respect for Dillon. I consider him a 'friend' and did tell him I was somewhat concerned about what you had written.
It doesn't really matter now, i will attempt to sort it out when I get back to JBR.

Oh dear, didn't realize it was your flat :(
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Well I’d like to clear up a few points first before this one gets out of hand, :shock: if you all feel I was a little harsh in my comment and I need to lighten up a little then I’ll stand corrected and apologise for any ill feeling I have caused, it really wasn’t my intention.

No, I’m not taking it personally, didn’t build the place myself, and never worked for the PM, Consultant or any of the nominated contractors involved with the development, my comments were related directly to, what appeared to me to be overstated and unnecessarily embellished comment, about a property DD knew was a holiday home of another forum member, and misdirected and unhelpful comment and advice by another.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, associated with the timely delivery of the built environment, comes as a surprise to me Sage, you wouldn’t believe what has been attempted to be delivered to me in my professional capacity during the last five Years as ‘Substantially Complete’ on the Completion Date!

You may be right in your assessment of an incomplete installation, but without intimate knowledge of the installation, it escapes me how you can be so confident in your theory, as there could be a thousand other contributing factors to the problem, so without diligent investigation what you appear to be so confident in is no more than an assumption, although how it has worked well for four Years would be a mystery! and advising to seek help from the wrong people can be a timely and very costly exercise, each tower in JBR, in line with current RERA regulation, already has a building services manager and service contracts with a service provider who’s responsibility and duty it is to investigate such problems.

While BM and I spoke of the OP by DD, my comments were mine, neither requested nor influenced by BM.

So, I’ll agree to tone down my comment on these less serious issues, :) I also hope DD understands he could have been a little more sensitive about his and continues to entertain the forum with his usually humorous input and tales of woe and contrary to Choc’s global instructions not to, :) tells us all of his new home and life down under when he finally gets there!
Dillon

Dillon wrote:Well I’d like to clear up a few points first before this one gets out of hand, :shock: if you all feel I was a little harsh in my comment and I need to lighten up a little then I’ll stand corrected and apologise for any ill feeling I have caused, it really wasn’t my intention.

No, I’m not taking it personally, didn’t build the place myself, and never worked for the PM, Consultant or any of the nominated contractors involved with the development, my comments were related directly to, what appeared to me to be overstated and unnecessarily embellished comment, about a property DD knew was a holiday home of another forum member, and misdirected and unhelpful comment and advice by another.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, associated with the timely delivery of the built environment, comes as a surprise to me Sage, you wouldn’t believe what has been attempted to be delivered to me in my professional capacity during the last five Years as ‘Substantially Complete’ on the Completion Date!

You may be right in your assessment of an incomplete installation, but without intimate knowledge of the installation, it escapes me how you can be so confident in your theory, as there could be a thousand other contributing factors to the problem, so without diligent investigation what you appear to be so confident in is no more than an assumption, although how it has worked well for four Years would be a mystery! and advising to seek help from the wrong people can be a timely and very costly exercise, each tower in JBR, in line with current RERA regulation, already has a building services manager and service contracts with a service provider who’s responsibility and duty it is to investigate such problems.

While BM and I spoke of the OP by DD, my comments were mine, neither requested nor influenced by BM.

So, I’ll agree to tone down my comment on these less serious issues, :) I also hope DD understands he could have been a little more sensitive about his and continues to entertain the forum with his usually humorous input and tales of woe and contrary to Choc’s global instructions not to, :) tells us all of his new home and life down under when he finally gets there!

It's called experience Dillon, I have worked in the Building Services Industry for more than 40 years, out of which 21 years of that have been in the Dubai and the UAE. That may not count for anything in your eyes however it does give one fairly good knowledge of what goes on. If you ask me to comment on the Structure of a building I will not because that is not my field.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:It's called experience Dillon, I have worked in the Building Services Industry for more than 40 years, out of which 21 years of that have been in the Dubai and the UAE. That may not count for anything in your eyes however it does give one fairly good knowledge of what goes on. If you ask me to comment on the Structure of a building I will not because that is not my field.

Well, 40 Years of experience does count for something in my eyes sage, that’s another assumption you’ve got wrong, and to start talking out of your ar$e after all that time really is a waste of that experience! As I said previously, you may be right, but you’re assuming a great deal in your evaluation of the problem, unless of course YOU are the one who in fact built it!

Dillon

Now look what you've started DD!

Oh dear, didn't realize it was your flat

Don't worry Sage. Originally I had asked DD to keep our 'business' off the forum and we have managed to do it until I gave it away. I'm afraid BM got a bit emotional and I let it all slip.

Anyways thanks to Sage and Dillon for your advice as to the remedy of the problem. Alternatively, I may not have as sensitive a nose as DD and not notice anything, although I think that's hardly likely.
I'll just have another drink and I'll be comatose, that should solve it all.
Bethsmum

Dillon wrote:
sage & onion wrote:It's called experience Dillon, I have worked in the Building Services Industry for more than 40 years, out of which 21 years of that have been in the Dubai and the UAE. That may not count for anything in your eyes however it does give one fairly good knowledge of what goes on. If you ask me to comment on the Structure of a building I will not because that is not my field.

Well, 40 Years of experience does count for something in my eyes sage, that’s another assumption you’ve got wrong, and to start talking out of your ar$e after all that time really is a waste of that experience! As I said previously, you may be right, but you’re assuming a great deal in your evaluation of the problem, unless of course YOU are the one who in fact built it!

Dillon, you said and you can kiss it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) House Stinks! Apr 14, 2011
Whoa! I missed a whole page on this thread. No prob, Dillon, we are cool. I have put a few gags on the forum, such as "not getting my speakers through the door", etc. They were all meant to be inside gags between BM and myself. BM left the cat outta the bag!

As mentioned to BM, in private, the word "stinks" was probably not a correct word, and in no way reflected on her or her abode. We have enjoyed our time here and would hope to return in the future. After living here, I would not want to be anywhere else in DXB honestly.

The relationship that BM and I have is a pretty trustful one TTYTT. Our LL/Tenant agreement would be a newsworthy item here in Dubai. I have looked after the flat like it was my own and looked after any maintenance without so much as bothering BM (my bro's tenants call me when a lightbulb burns out!?) My initial post was essentially a coded message to BM so that when it happens when she is here, she does not think I did something (or stuck kippers in the A/C duct!).

I am sure BM will enjoy her break with her daughter, it is finally the time of year where the sun hits the pool all day!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: My (soon-to-be-ex) house stinks! Apr 14, 2011
Yes, DD, I did let the cat out of the bag. :x Never mind! It's all good in BM land.

You are probably right, our LL/tenant agreement would be a newsworthy item in Dubai as it is non existant!
I don't even know your surname!
The way I see it, what's the point in going thro all that paperwork when if you'd decided to do the dirty on me what could I have done about it anyway? You seemed a straight forward person and I'm no bullshitter so it was a win win situation for us both. I didn't even take a deposit (mostly because I knew I would blow it on something frivolous LOL and would now be regretting my new handbag or whatever!).
What a shame some other LL's can't be more trusting. I have to say I've rented over 4 winters now and never had a problem, except for the Indians. Never again! The place was filthy.

The story went a bit like this, I rented it through an advert on JBRcommunity. They paid 3 months in advance with a deposit. The rent was aed42,000 for 3 months. At the end of the 3 months they wanted to continue on a much reduced rent. I was open to this arrangement but not at the rate they were suggesting so I terminated their agreement. They were due to be out of the 8th of December. I sent a few emails to see what was happening with no reply so I hopped on a plane and arrived on the 15th (my birthday). I opened the door to the flat and my heart sank.....
Someone was still in residence. I thought they were in bed. I crept in with my eyes shut, there was no-one in bed, thank God, but someone had been sleeping in my bed with out any sheets! :shock:
I went back into the living room. There was a tub of Ben & Jerry's on my lovely dining table, defrosted with a spoon in it. The sink was full of dirty dishes and pans (I have a fully funcional dishwasher!).
I ventured into the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and all I saw was spit, all over my huge mirror.
I was seriously not amused. I phoned my Emirati friend for advice. He told me to phone them and tell them if they weren't there within 30 minutes with a maid I was phoning the police.
I made the call and was told he was in a meeting, I mentioned the police and within 20 minutes he was at the door. 'please let me explain Madam'. Well Madam wasn't up for an explanation and I told him I would be back in 3 hours and if the place wasn't immaculate I was phoning the Cavalry.
I went down to the pool with my Jeremy Clarkson book and swear to God I never read a word, but placed my sunbed in the line of my balcony and stared.
He came on to the balcony a couple of times but could feel the heat of my retinas burning through his forehead and beat a hasty retreat.
The pace was back to prestine condition within 3 hours and I handed him a bill which I worked out on my phone calculator for the extra days he had been in residence. He was pushed out of the front door with me telling him he'd better be back at 10.30am the next morning with cash, no friggin company cheques, thanks!
He was back to pay my inflated bill and I blew the money in the Chanel shop :D

From then I prefer to rent on instinct, which has served me well.

Well good luck DD and Mrs DD in your new life away from Dubai. I hope you'll both be very successful and I know you'll both be very happy.
You're welcome back anytime, if you can stand the stink that is :D
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat