Sheikh Maktoum's Mourning Period

Topic locked
Sheikh Maktoum's mourning period Jan 06, 2006
Hi All

I'm new to the forum, but regularly visit Dubai. Really sad to see the death of a great leader this week.

I'm due to travel to Dubai next week and wonder if I need to delay my trip to avoid the 40 day period. How badly affected will services in Dubai be during this period??

Any help appreciated?

G
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 07, 2006
very sad day indeed for Dubai
hashman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 07, 2006
The official mounring period is for 40 days. Government offices are closed for 7. Schools etc go back on the 14th. Now not really sure what is happening with entertainment at the moment. Certainly when Shk Zayed died I know that they were all doing things before the mourning period was over.

Everyday they check back in with the government offices, it's a case of taking it day by day, but they might start doing things on the 14th.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 07, 2006
I am new here in Dubai. came here for visit. it's quiet cos I guess most of the businesses are closed. Came wrong time I guess :(
hashman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 07, 2006
well it was said that pvt sector be closed for 3 days (open by 8th jan) However malls and cinema's are back open again..
and public sector remains off till 7 days. Also, banks and other services will be open for one day i.e sunday and will be closed again for eid holidays.
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 09, 2006
Hey thanks for all the replies guys! :D

So I guess that this also then means that all hotel bars will be open within the 40 day mourning period?
G
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 09, 2006
G wrote:Hey thanks for all the replies guys! :D

So I guess that this also then means that all hotel bars will be open within the 40 day mourning period?

Wouldnt it be dramatic for Dubai's economy if they would stay closed? :?
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 09, 2006
Apparently DSF is officially cancelled, but shops are allowed to carry on with their promotions as long as they removed the DSF logo.

Bars might start playing music as soon as the 11th Jan.

All the bigwigs are meeting today to finalise a date for things to return to normal.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 09, 2006
G,
Concerning the Entertainment part, all bars are still open, but without music, or at most just low music.

Choco,
I thought they only cancelled the DSF Events like parties etc. didn't know they cancelled the whole thing.

When will it be back again? want to buy alot of thing to my house and was waiting the DSF.

ciao all
yshimy

Jan 09, 2006
Thanks yshimy

As Choco said earlier it seems simply that they will delay the Shopping Festival slightly due to the mourning period, and we should see a decision in the next couple of days once they've had the meeting! So wouldn't worry, you'll still be able to spend on your house!!
G
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 10, 2006
DSF has been postponed until the end of this year according to the Gulf News this morning.
Also. don't forget it's Eid and there are public holidays until the 11th so most places are closed until the 12th.
moonbaby
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 10, 2006
moonbaby wrote:DSF has been postponed until the end of this year according to the Gulf News this morning.
Also. don't forget it's Eid and there are public holidays until the 11th so most places are closed until the 12th.

END OF THIS YEAR??!! :shock: WT..? meaning oct, nov, or dec??

my poor baby (a cousin) was coming down to dubai to shop for her wedding :evil:
easternjewel

Jan 10, 2006
True I'm afraid!

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News ... 99,00.html

Dubai puts off shopping fest
10/01/2006 10:50 - (SA)

Dubai - Dubai has cancelled this year's annual shopping festival as a gesture of respect, following the recent death of Dubai's ruler Sheikh Maktoum Bin Rashidh Al Maktoum.

The local newspaper Gulf News said the next Shopping Festival will run from December 20 2006, to February 2, 2007.

Saeed Al Naboudah, co-ordinator general of the festival, said the prescribed discounts on purchases of this year's festival would remain valid up to February 4 despite the cancellation.

Industry insiders said the cancellation would adversely affect retail, hospitality and entertainment businesses.

"Of course, there will be a huge impact on businesses but the loss of Sheikh Maktoum is a bigger loss for the whole country," said Eisa Adam Ebrahm, general manager of BurJuman mall, one of the biggest shopping centres in the emirate.

Retail spending during the month-long festival was expected to pass $2bn.

The last Shopping Festival recorded 3.3 million visitors, who spent $1.8bn, or roughly $547 per visitor.

Visitor spending during the festival overshadowed the Dubai tourism sector's revenue for the entire year of 2004.

Hundreds of retailers had stocked huge quantities of merchandise prior to the event, which was due to start on Wednesday before being pout off due to Sheikh Maktoum's death.

Sheikh Maktoum died on January 4 during a private visit to Australia. The exact cause of the death was not officially announced. - Sapa-dpa
G
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 10, 2006
It is crazy that they cancel everything.
I understand, that a great leader has died and this is indeed very sad.
But all the tourists and also the expats are now suffering, and the tourists that came here for the DSF will definetely not come again.
I wouldn't travel to Dubai any more either if I was a tourist.

Ben
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2006
Everything won't be closed forever... A lot of stores will open again next week.

Besides, there are lotta other things to do for tourists.
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 11, 2006
Defo wrote:
Besides, there are lotta other things to do for tourists.

yes but what about those tourist who are here ONLY for the DSF?

I agree with bschmidt, people will not trust Dubai's system anymore.

& I was wondering, what about that poor co. which maybe got 90 cars (2 bm, 1 nissan) to give out in "win a car everyday" promotions :wink:
easternjewel

Jan 11, 2006
1) The sales and promos have not been cancelled. Only the events and all reference to DSF. Go into any store, lets say Carrefour, they have their specials like mobile phones at "cost"...

2) No more faith in Dubai??? Beleive me it takes more than a stupid event to make people lose faith in this great city. A great visionary has passed (womanizer or not) and we can't go on with business as normal ASAP, people have to understand that. If they don't then they have no heart and we don't need them here. There are enough heartless people in Dubai.

3) Is it just me or it is warmer outside these days?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 12, 2006
Its actually very chilly in dubai right now.

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Jan 12, 2006
At night at 2:39am for sure. But daytime its been on the warmer side. But still quite nice!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 12, 2006
Liban wrote:2) No more faith in Dubai??? Beleive me it takes more than a stupid event to make people lose faith in this great city. A great visionary has passed (womanizer or not) and we can't go on with business as normal ASAP, people have to understand that. If they don't then they have no heart and we don't need them here. There are enough heartless people in Dubai.

Nothing heartless about it. No doubt a great leader has passed and its really sad, agreed. But he has died a natural death. All of us have to one day… and I am not against mourning but canceling big events such as DSF? (they could’ve postponed for few days) doesn’t make sense cause its a country we’re talking about, its economy and thousands of people who are being affected by such a decision.
Its their territory, their rules, they don’t care for the loss but from a true economist point of view it is the government who should make decisions for their people. Be it tourist, or traders, people will face huge losses cause they have stocked alot. You and I, being the employees in some firm are not affected much and people do nothing but sleep, relax during those holidays.
have you thought, why are the bars open? One thing I really like it here is that radio's are put off, and recitation of the Holy Quran is broadcasted for the soul. THAT MAKES SENCE.
easternjewel

Jan 13, 2006
Each of these rulers stays in power for a couple of decades at least, is it too much to ask for a "festival" to be postponed/cancelled?

It's not like this kind of thing happens every few months.
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 13, 2006
Linda_Stuiv wrote:Each of these rulers stays in power for a couple of decades at least, is it too much to ask for a "festival" to be postponed/cancelled?

It's not like this kind of thing happens every few months.

I dont participate even 10% during the festival. Not dying for the event .... been here all these years. Good riddence as goes for the traffic! Just made a point as to 'heartless' comment made.
easternjewel

Jan 13, 2006
Regarding Liban's posting, calling people heartless that don't agree to the cancellation of all festivals (and not only festivals - see further below) is not worth a comment. Everyone has his own way of mourning. In my opinion it does not really need a government to restrict certain activities.
Well anyhow, I respect the actions taken as I am only an expat and this is not 'my' country. I really don't want to be disrespectful.
It is just somehow weird for me and for what I am used to.
Maybe some of you heard, that the German soccer team is here for some training at the moment.
They are allowed to do training during evening time, but they are not allowed to use the floodlight!
I don't understand this.

Sorry Liban, I do not mean to be rude!
And yes, it is somehow hotter, also the UV radiation seems to be a bit stronger - I've gotten my first sunburn in 2006 yesterday ;-)

Cheers,
Ben
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2006
easternjewel wrote:have you thought, why are the bars open?

Standard Dubai hypocrisy :P
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 13, 2006
Question:

Is everything back to normal tomorrow? Or some firms/shops will still be closed??? :?:
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 17, 2006
May God bless his soul ,we must respect such a good leader ... ameen
:oops:
HP banned
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 18, 2006
HP banned wrote:May God bless his soul ,we must respect such a good leader ... ameen
:oops:

Thanks God ur reincarnated self has some respect for the dead! For the dead shall only know where does the dead go.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat