Sharks Off JBR Beach

Topic locked
Sharks off JBR beach Oct 25, 2011
I did have a little chuckle at the reports then subsequent responses to a couple of Hammerhead sharks being spotted off JBR beach last week.

Apparently the lifeguards shut down the beach for several hours and wouldn't let people go in the water - fair enough. However, in the newspaper reports peoples responses were a little weird 'I never knew we had sharks in Gulf waters' - really? Black and White tips are the most common, with the off Bull shark etc.

There are 9 species of Hammerheads, only a couple are dangerous to humans. People seem to forget that it's humans invading their territory, not the other way around.

I say it's nice to see them. Means the water is clean and there is plenty of food about for them.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Sharks Off JBR Beach Oct 25, 2011
were the ones spotted from the same species that are dangerous to humans by any chance?
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general_A wrote:were the ones spotted from the same species that are dangerous to humans by any chance?

In these waters, I doubt it very much. Hammerheads are tricky ones, where their mouth and eyes are positioned makes them pretty vulnerable and they'd find it hard to get a good hold on a person to begin with.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

general_A wrote:were the ones spotted from the same species that are dangerous to humans by any chance?

I think those are the Great Whites, general, which have struck four times recently around Australia.
The Government has issued a shot to kill on sight even though they are an endangered species. Those in the know say they doubt it was the same shark that committed all of the recent attacks so the chance of killing the guilty party would be remote.

Not to be confused with English ladies with big bottoms, of which a few have been sighted off JB recently.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Sharks Off JBR Beach Oct 26, 2011
well, they didn't stop me being around ...
weather & sun these days are good for everyone, may be sharks wanted their share from the beach as well ;)

some friends of mine fished some sharks before... that is another story maybe ..
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Sharks off JBR beach Oct 26, 2011
You're more likely to get injured or killed by some numpty on the roads, than you are ever being attacked by a shark. I think they are the most amazing creatures and it's sad that they are being fished into extinction.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

just FYI :)
they weren't actually looking to fish sharks :S they were just fishing and sharks came to them...

in general I love most of creatures, I know some are harmful, but grr that is life.. if u look around ( and I mean around ;) ) u can see more harmful humans...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Mahmoud04 wrote:just FYI :)
they weren't actually looking to fish sharks :S they were just fishing and sharks came to them...

in general I love most of creatures, I know some are harmful, but grr that is life.. if u look around ( and I mean around ;) ) u can see more harmful humans...

Oh that's good to hear :D

I totally agree with you on the harmful humans - very sad isn't it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat