Remember Charlotte Adams??

Topic locked
Remember Charlotte Adams?? Jun 06, 2012
We discussed her story extensively a while back...

She learned a hard lesson and is now warning the others, if they only read and heed!!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/wo ... amour.html

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Remember Charlotte Adams?? Jun 06, 2012
COuldn't care less about those idiots. They know the rules, they broken them and should be punished - end of.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I must say I don't have much time for these people, Dubai and the UAE has been home to me and my family for many years, yes their are rules but in the end of the day we are all guests and as such should respect the rules.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Riiiiight, next there will be an article about a moron who got fined for overspeeding saying that Dubai's open and straight highways virtualy force you to overspeed ! :roll:
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

What little sympathy I have for these types of stories is reserved for the tourists who could rightly plead ignorance (in general and in particular about the local rules).

However, in this case there's no excuse and I agree completely with S&O, Chocs and DDS.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

have to obey their rules. it is their country.
zebastian
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Shafique touched on an important aspect of this problem, namely that this kind of behavior is usually done by tourists and not residents.

Dubai promotes itself in the world as a charming and friendly holiday destination. So when the tourists arrive in Dubai, they get mixed signals of what’s considered an appropriate behavior and what is not. They see the bars, the night clubs, the scantily dressed women in the malls and on the beach. They also can’t help but notice the ladies of the night at the bars and in the lobbies of some hotels. As such, they rightfully get the impression that this is a pretty liberal country, which may lead some to do things that they’re used to do in other popular holiday destinations --especially after downing a few drinks. So when they get arrested, they naturally feel they have fallen victim to some sort of an unfair entrapment.

I think Dubai needs to do more to make these rules much more clear to the tourists. One suggestion perhaps is to hand out each tourist arriving in Dubai a printed list of the dos and don’ts in different languages, along with stating the ensuing penalty for each violation.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

But she was not tourist. Although punishment for just kissing is harsh, one got deported with a lifetime ban.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

LOL every single person in that article was a resident NOT a tourist - so they should have known better.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Tom Jones wrote:Dubai promotes itself in the world as a charming and friendly holiday destination.
I don't know how UAE advertises itself as a holiday destination but to me a holiday destination is not necessarily a beach and booze destination(especially if it is a sharia ruled country:) ).. The place could be good for an all around sightseeing and luxury buying or else good for going out for a safari trip in the desert or purely to observe the arabic or islamic culture..
Tom Jones wrote:They see the bars, the night clubs, the scantily dressed women in the malls and on the beach.
If I am not wrong I think those bars and clubs mainly caters to expatriates as entertainment facilities outside working hours without which UAE probably could not attract such high numbers of well qualified foreign workers or traders..
Tom Jones wrote:They also can’t help but notice the ladies of the night at the bars and in the lobbies of some hotels. As such, they rightfully get the impression that this is a pretty liberal country, which may lead some to do things that they’re used to do in other popular holiday destinations
well I don't think you'd like to see some moral police pushing expatriate wifes or girlfriends or temporary business travelers to adopt islamic way of life,dressig code, eating and drinking habits right?
Tom Jones wrote:So when they get arrested, they naturally feel they have fallen victim to some sort of an unfair entrapment.
Even if there is a complain I don't think you could immediately categorize them as victims, so as long as their pasaport gives good information about their travel motives and duration of stay..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Remember Charlotte Adams?? Jun 07, 2012
European, living together is illegal, just as is working without a work permit - you may be overlooked until the day you aren't and then you get jailed and deported. It is up to everyone to risk what they want, but they need to know that getting caught can and does happen.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Remember Charlotte Adams?? Jun 07, 2012
The authorities over look a lot until a person causes trouble, they have to, otherwsise no one would come here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat