Ramadan "Test Run"

Topic locked
Ramadan "Test Run" Sep 19, 2006
As I stated before, I will be "giving it a try" at fasting during Ramadan. I gave it a "test run" today, no coffee, no food after sunrise. I was famined by 10 am with a headache the size of hot air ballon. Any tips?

P.S. Please don't post stupid stuff about "insulting/disrespectin Islam". If you want to protest me I'll give you my address and supply the posters! Give a fecking break!

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
what did you have for ummm, shoot, i dont know what it is in english...

what did you eat/drink before sunrise?

also, if youve never fasted before its going to be tough the first couple times. what we do for the little kids to get them used to it is to have them fast half a day (around until noon time) and then after a bit they get used to it.

or, you could just try extended the amount of time you fast by an hour or two each day until you think you can reach the entire day.

a good nap usually gets rid of the headaches too...but i think since you work that might be kind of hard to do.

good luck!
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
Conc -- Work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The headache is probably from a round of golf followed by having to watch his collegues have a good binge after.

That was the morning, then out with collegues for a slap up meal at some really swish place whilst they all work out how much they are going to charge/invoice their clients

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 19, 2006
Concord most people will have a light meal in the morning before sunrise, try that might help.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
arniegang wrote:Conc -- Work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The headache is probably from a round of golf followed by having to watch his collegues have a good binge after.

That was the morning, then out with collegues for a slap up meal at some really swish place whilst they all work out how much they are going to charge/invoice their clients

Good thing I do charity!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
arniegang wrote:Conc -- Work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So cynical!!

I admire Concs for his efforts, however I won't be joining in as I'm on my holidays during Ramadan, and don't want to give up that gorgeous cuisine from the various different parts of Europe! Add that to the fact that I'll need to eat and drink something to stop me from strangling my dad (who is coming on the epic journey with me).

Anyway, the least I hope to do this Ramadan is to learn a little more about what goes on (and what doesn't). So thanks for answering my daft questions so far!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 19, 2006
Well done concord!

I also get headaches when I start fasting - for me it's the caffein withdrawal.

I usually struggle through the first two or three days before my body gets used to the fasting. There's no solution to feeling hungry later on in the day - that is part of the reason for fasting - to actually experience real hunger, but the unpleasantness of withdrawal symptoms gets better.

For me, the 2nd and 3rd fasts are worse than the first.. and then it gets better physically.

The past few years I've avoided caffeine all through ramadhan - and tried (but most failed) to also eat sensibly. One noticeable side effect of a whole month of fasting is the way the taste buds are de-sensitised to the food and drink I eat. I taste things a lot more after Ramdan - eg the flavours are more intense, but it also has downsides - eg you can taste the metalic edge in vending machine drinks.

In modern day terms - Ramadan is a month-long detox of your body!

But the physical benefits and deprivations are the minor part of Ramadan, the greater part is the spiritual side - reflecting on why you are giving up what is otherwise lawful and wholesome.

Anyway - I hope you can join in with more fasts.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat