Racism Towards Different Races?

Topic locked
  • Reply
Aug 14, 2007
fayz wrote:You'll likely face a lot less racism here then America


Hehe, I don't think so. But I have to say that whatever racism might exist here is not really based on skin colour.

gtmash
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2283
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Aug 14, 2007
you haven't been to the south, for blacks I do think America is more racist than here, for SE Asians I would say here is more racist, imho.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
User avatar
Posts: 2880
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

  • Reply
Aug 14, 2007
fayz wrote:you haven't been to the south, for blacks I do think America is more racist than here, for SE Asians I would say here is more racist, imho.


I lived in Atlanta for two years. Hail Georgia!

It's a matter of staying out of a few redneck areas. But then again, even decent white people avoided those village-like areas. But at least they have well-defined laws against racism.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2283
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Aug 14, 2007
hehehe, kewl. well I've never lived in the states so your opinion is probably the one to listen to, I've been to the states about 50 times, even once to Atlanta, I found people aren't racist to your face but there is a hidden tendency, people follow you more in stores, you notice people approach different ethnicities differently etc.

maybe it’s just that I look like a derelict.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
User avatar
Posts: 2880
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

  • Reply
Aug 14, 2007
fayz wrote:maybe it’s just that I look like a derelict.


Yeah, possibly. :lol:

Although I really didn't hang in the top-class places like 5-star hotels and stuff. Just college campuses, fast food places, subway stations....the zoo. But mixed relationships was no big deal at all.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2283
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Aug 14, 2007
gtmash wrote:
fayz wrote:you haven't been to the south, for blacks I do think America is more racist than here, for SE Asians I would say here is more racist, imho.


I lived in Atlanta for two years. Hail Georgia!

It's a matter of staying out of a few redneck areas. But then again, even decent white people avoided those village-like areas. But at least they have well-defined laws against racism.


It really depends on where you are in the states. The south (blacks), north(almost anyone who isnt white), west (hispanics) and east coast(like the north)...

Anywhere you go you are going to find ignorant people, its just what you make of it...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 4879
Location: dar el 7ay

  • Reply
Aug 18, 2007
:) Hi man,, do u wanna the best answer..


No Racism towards Black people because we have a lot of black UAE people here ..

I live in area which has many black Emirati people ,but not in dubai and we are as one family 8)
Peach_Girl
Dubai Expat Wannabe
Posts: 9

  • Reply
Aug 19, 2007
racism is really a touche topic. and the word racist would be taboo in a melting pot like Dubai.

But is there Racism in Dubai? Hell yes! People here are as as racist as anyone else is in the world, Me included.

I admit that I'm a racist, and i don't mean the "nazi, klux klux clan" way. See folks, it's not about hate, but love. Nothing personal against other races, but i just prefer mine.

Race denotes a commonality. We share the same skintone, the same collective experiences. Your suffering is mine too, and we are bonded by this.

Why do you think Filipinos stick to Filipinos, Indians to Indian, Brits to Brits, Pakistans to Pakistans? Because all of them have something in common in a country where they are foreign.
Dai
Dubai Expat Wannabe
User avatar
Posts: 7
Location: Dubai,UAE

  • Reply
Sep 01, 2007
gtmash wrote:
fayz wrote:You'll likely face a lot less racism here then America


Hehe, I don't think so. But I have to say that whatever racism might exist here is not really based on skin colour.


Agreed.

In fact, a black American with a degree would be pretty much near the top of the totem pole in the UAE business world.

And right at the very top of the pole are local Emiratis who range in colour from snow-white to pitch black, and for whom colour doesn't form part of their identity.

I've certainly never seen even a hint of discrimination based on skin colour here.

But does discrimination exist? Hell yes. But it's based on nationality and culture rather than colour.

In fact, the concept of race is pretty much obsolete globally, and sooner rather than later people will stop using that stupid word, and its associated words 'racist' and 'racism'.

Race doesn't exist. You may struggle to get it, especially if you grew up in a culture with a strong emphasis on 'race'. But biological sciences have completely disproved the existence of race as a scientific construct.

It's interesting that the original question seemed to come from a US American. The US is trying to keep alive the myth that there are three major races: white, black and hispanic. Like apartheid South Africa persuaded its citizens that everyone in the world was either white, black (a different definition of black to the US one), coloured or Indian.

The sooner we get over these artificial categorisations the better.

So yes, the UAE is hyper-nationality-aware, to a very unhealthy degree, and this will fade over time. For now I think it's people's way of dealing with this huge confluence of diverse cultures that's happened in a relatively short space of time.
WaterWater
Dubai Forum Visitor
User avatar
Posts: 12

  • Reply
Sep 05, 2007
Thanks for the posts everyone. I'm more informed, encouraged and my questions are answered. :-)

In fact, a black American with a degree would be pretty much near the top of the totem pole in the UAE business world.

And right at the very top of the pole are local Emiratis who range in colour from snow-white to pitch black, and for whom colour doesn't form part of their identity.

I've certainly never seen even a hint of discrimination based on skin colour here.

But does discrimination exist? Hell yes. But it's based on nationality and culture rather than colour.


Thanks.

The sooner we get over these artificial categorisations the better.


I agree.

specifically to black, very little. You'll likely face a lot less racism here then America.

oh and yes you do see black people here, even some locals are black.


Thanks.

Race denotes a commonality. We share the same skintone, the same collective experiences.


I disagree with that statement. And that person also said Dubai is a melting pot, so in this case, the person's definition of race is not in agreement.

race is: "a group of persons related by common descent or heredity."
commonality: "a sharing of features or characteristics in common; possession or manifestation of common attributes."

Therefore, these definitions do not necessarily go hand in hand.

I personally hang out with people outside of my race as much as my own race. In addition, people of our own nationality do not all stick together. Let me give an example: If you put two Chinese people in a group of Caucasian people, will those two Chinese people end up being the best of friends? No. Just because you are the same nationality as someone else, it doesn't mean that you are going to hit it off and be friends with that person.

Some people have prejudice and from there some develop racism (when you think your race is better than the rest). But that can be overcome when you accept it. Then give moral reasonings in order to stop prejudicial thoughts/actions.

Also, there are different skin tones of people in the same country.

If you are racist, your are racist, no matter what degree it is.
Starzel2004
Dubai Expat Wannabe
Posts: 5

  • Reply
Oct 07, 2007
Just out of interest, do any of you socialise with Fillipinos?

Reason why i ask. I am your average Aussie living in Melbourne and have socialised with many Asians and Fillipinos over the years. The ones i have met i have found them to be very hospitable, honest and hard working including in business relationships. Some good friendships have developed over the years.

I have been shortlisted for a Managerial role in Dubai which will involve running a Department of 50 or more workers. Most are Fillipinos.
The agency made it clear to me that the owner only wanted to hire Aussie Expats in Management roles for the company. It appears to me that sensitivity towards other nationalities is a key factor.

What i found surprising during the 1st interview process was the emphasis the interviewer placed on racism. It appeared to be the main subject. I had to explain to her that there was not a racist bone in my body. Its not part of my vocabulary nore character.

Is this fairly normal from recruitment agencies?

After reading a few threads and visiting other forums it looks like there is alot of racial predudism towards other cultures in UAE.

Would this be a fairly correct assumption?

Cheers markco2 :D
markco2
Dubai Forum Visitor
Posts: 10

  • Reply
Aug 22, 2008
I'm an African American who recently moved to Dubai - 3 mths ago. I haven't experienced any outright racism especially not anything I experienced growing up in the US.

There are a great deal of Africans here as well. You will see plenty of dark skinned folks from all over the world.

When are you thinking of coming?
blackexplorer
Dubai Forum Guest
Posts: 2

  • Reply
Aug 26, 2008
with this season summer heat
am already feeling black dude
bloody hot this summer
saeedz28
Dubai Forums Member
User avatar
Posts: 48
Location: DUBAI

  • Reply
Sep 22, 2008
Racism...it's only as much as you take, accept, and deal with it.

I always believe that in terms of work, it's a matter of proving yourself and trying to be indispensable to the company you work for. Yes, Asians or people from third-world countries probably need to work 10 times as much, but at the end of the day, if one is able to distinguished himself from the others, then the same principle of success will apply -- no matter where you are in this part of the world.

My mentor once told me “If the company is paying you AED 10.00, give your very best and work as if you are getting AED 20.00...and one day, you will wake up and get it. Continue to uphold the same principle not only in your earnings, but also in your achievement in every sector of your life...then you are bound to succeed.”

I am more than glad I learned it earlier in my life. There is no room for racism over me now. I just learned how to deal with it.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 256
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Sep 22, 2008
^ or maybe you just got lucky with your employer. hehe.

I don't think that principle applies in Dubai. If you're willing to be paid AED10 and work as if you're getting 20, then expect more work in the future instead.

3rd world people are desparate and, coupled with a lack of 'right' educational background and the fact that if they refuse, there'll be plenty more 3rd world suckers out there, will accept whatever they're offered.
As for westerners with western education, it's the other way around. If they refuse the offer - and they definitely can, there will always be other employers (suckers?) out there that is willing to offer more.

Recognition? It's established from the start: westerners= western education= more pay,
Respect? You can earn that definitely, but don't expect it to convert to dirhams.

It's just the way it is as I see it.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master
Posts: 688
Location: 25°13'N 55°17'E

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Last post