Pumping Your Own Fuel!

Topic locked
Pumping your own fuel! Aug 10, 2008
Ok, so it'll be on a trial basis in a few petrol stations to begin with. But can you seriously see this working here?

No problem for me, I come from a place where we all pump our own petrol, but I can't wait to see how other people will cope with this.

Have to say the process of going in and paying for the amount of fule you want, before you proceed to pump is not the greatest. Plus all those poor guys out of jobs.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2008
I really don't see it working here. Its way too hot and uncomfortable to get out of your car, go inside the building, pay and then come back. In my country self service is the norm at gas stations except for 2 States, New Jersey and Oregon. In NJ its all about the Union Workers and in OR it rains a lot so people don't like to get out, I think. Although the rain argument can be made for Seattle where it rains all the time. Full service is available in all other States but at much higher rate. They could probably adopt that idea here. People who don't want to pump their own gas can pay more. What do you think? How about credit card machines at the pumps to make it a little easier?
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 10, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Ok, so it'll be on a trial basis in a few petrol stations to begin with. But can you seriously see this working here?

No problem for me, I come from a place where we all pump our own petrol, but I can't wait to see how other people will cope with this.

Have to say the process of going in and paying for the amount of fule you want, before you proceed to pump is not the greatest. Plus all those poor guys out of jobs.

ladies and gentel men I give you prainiac.

well look at this way , those few step will make you burn fats an carbs from setting your big as* all day doing nothing but fighting with firefingers, so it is a good thing.

you call locals lazy , from the quntity of your daily posts and replies, you seems to be doning nothing at all but browse the net. hey after all you might be one of us LOOOOOOOOL

what in hell is your job anyway, let me know so I"ll let your boss know what he is paying you for.
firefingersx
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 10, 2008
Credit card machines would be a good idea, apart from the fact that yo can't pay by credit card at fule stations anymore - too much fraud.

In the UK, you just rock up to the pump, put in as much as you want, then go in and pay, plus we do have card machines at the pumps aswell.

My nightmare would be those morons, that get out and fuel their car with the engine still running and a fag (ciggie) hanging out their mouth - god forbid! Not to mention the quad bike brigade.

I don't know I think they should have two systems, one for those that want to pump themselves and one for those that don't.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Credit card machines would be a good idea, apart from the fact that yo can't pay by credit card at fule stations anymore - too much fraud.

In the UK, you just rock up to the pump, put in as much as you want, then go in and pay, plus we do have card machines at the pumps aswell.

My nightmare would be those morons, that get out and fuel their car with the engine still running and a fag (ciggie) hanging out their mouth - god forbid! Not to mention the quad bike brigade.

I don't know I think they should have two systems, one for those that want to pump themselves and one for those that don't.

They didn't cancel the credit card system due to fraud. The oil companies actually said they don't want to pay credit-card transaction charges. Just a money thing.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 10, 2008
Well yes that too. Be interesting to see how it pans out though.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2008
I don't mind pumping my own fuel if the transaction happens at the pump itself. Either via credit card or a mobile cashier

Walking to the C store and paying cash (not knowing how much could fill you tank) seems impractical.

Just wait and watch
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat