Only In Dubai Does Security Keep You In! A Moving Tale

Topic locked
Only in Dubai does security keep you in! a moving tale Oct 17, 2010
So Mrs. DD and I were all ready to move to our "ghetto in the sky" over in JBR this weekend when we found out the hard way that there are rules that are beyond the laws of the land, rules the Supreme Court of the UAE cannot touch. I am guessing even the UN is powerless against the power that is ......Saba property management. You don't want to mess with these security guys. They wear ties with shirts that don't match! You cannot reason with a force like this!

As you might know, I install and program audio-visual and security systems in town. This means I do not go to work with a laptop bag, I drag computers and related crap back and forth all day. My former Prado was my tool chest. Now that I have downsized, I need to cart it back and forth from the flat.

As we are leaving JLT, I thought I would just get a few boxes, borrow a trolley and wheel it all out. As we emerge from the lift to the carpark, I was met, nay, enveloped by security who informed me that I could not remove these things as I did not fill out a form. I told them I come and go all the time with this stuff and they see me and know who I am and what I do. They said that they know my friend is away and it might be hers. I say, cool, but she left 10 days ago, why the issue now? Their intelligent response: because it is in a box. If in a suitcase would be ok. WTF?

After a tough week I let the fellows know that I was not in the mood and did not care what their policies were, this was my work kit and I needed it and was certainly not requesting permission from them nor my friend to leave with it. Then tough guy security guy "was not allowing me to leave the premises". I guess you could say I "flipped" a bit, then decided to crack out the ol' iPhone and video the hijinx. One winner was blocking me and the other on Mrs DD.

There was no way I was letting Saba dictate my comings and goings so I called my local fixer who tried to have me leave it till Sun/Mon but I was not listening. As I am charged with systems in people's homes, my equipment needs to be up and running so I can log in at a moment's notice. Missing a fire or a break-in because of Saba's policies might not fly with my clients. He sent the coppers (who arrived in 9 minutes!) and we had an intelligent chat.

I offered my passport, DL, whatever to the security guys which was no good to them. I had not filled "the form". The coppers explained to them that they could not stop me going to work and that their form was of no consequence to me. I could certainly leave with my possessions and be on my way. The funniest was these security dudes with the "Saba Manifest" in the cop's face showing him "the rules" and "the form". The copper just said to go sit down and stop bothering us.

As Mrs DD and I loaded the goods in the command wagon, the cops were very intrigued by the goods. (it is fun stuff like small computers, remotes, cameras, etc.) They said they know people that needed this stuff and asked for business cards. At the end, we had a real laugh about the whole thing. I was embarrassed that the coppers needed to come, but WTF, security is to keep the dodgies out, not the honest people in!

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Only In Dubai Does Security Keep You In! A Moving Tale Oct 17, 2010
Oh yeah I know the types have worked with them in the past. Rented secuirty paid by the hour for events like concerts etc etc. Probably only times in their lives they are taken seriously or have some authority and do get a little high on it.

In their defence I think the rent a cops were doing their jobs for a change. Probally there has been something like this in the past and someone did scoot away with someones stuff and had their pays docked.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Only in Dubai does security keep you in! a moving tale Oct 17, 2010
DD, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences on leaving JLT. But what a pleasant surprise to read about your experiences with Dubai Police. So often they are mocked on this forum. I can't say I've ever had that much to do with them, but what I have, has always been a positive experience. May your time at the hands of Idama/Salwan be hassle free.
Bethsmum

DDog, you ought to get something like ipad, will help you get reduce the amount of computers you drag around!
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Only In Dubai Does Security Keep You In! A Moving Tale Oct 17, 2010
or a really big up Ipod, or wait that is the Ipad :D
desertdudeshj

We have the same issues with 'Rent a Cop' in Media City. The security company is called F.I.S.T. (makes me laugh every time!) and they are the most officious idiots in the world armed with loud Tetra system radios that keep blaring things like "Area 5, Code 1". There is little excitement in our sleepy end of the TECOM kingdom, the most interesting thing being a wheelie bin catching fire in the summer, which generated a flurry of "Area 6, Code 3!"s from the radios, but Civil Defense sent a tender down in 5 minutes and put it out with a little squirt from a fire extinguisher.

If we want to move anything in or out of the office, we need a form which has to be given to the security who then have to take it away and get an approval stamp from TECOM before we are allowed to take it away. I often take my big Mac home to work at the weekends and all I do is wrap it in a black plastic bin liner and they never ask!

Having made friends with them now, they pretty much ignore what goes in or out. The main guy confessed this was his first security job, he is really a plasterer!

Between the Keystone Kops and the Renta Kops, there is little chance of anyone actually stopping any real crime.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Only In Dubai Does Security Keep You In! A Moving Tale Oct 18, 2010
@motion...they are computers and controllers for multiple clients, and are very small form-factor units
@ BM...you are right about the cops. These guys were tops though, good English and had a bit of a snigger at the security guys. My only other cop experience was when I was stopped in Satwa for doing less than the speed limit. Coppers said I was European so I must be lost! LOL.
@Knight..I never had that problem when I worked for CSI in Media City. used to wheel electronics in and out of there all the time. I was also very nice and polite to the guys (as I am sure you are) so maybe that helped?

These guys were all over their radios as well like they just caught the Manson family. I checked the video today and it is far too embarrassing to post. My family and friends back home would think I live in a retard colony. (That just went full-retard). I guess I will just suck it up as a Dubai lesson.

I don't know how you've been here so long and stayed sane, Knight?

Oh wait. Never mind.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Only in Dubai does security keep you in! a moving tale Oct 18, 2010
JD dear boy!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat