Not What I Expected From The Peace Corps!

Topic locked
Not what I expected from the Peace Corps! May 12, 2011
"Since it was founded in 1961, the Peace Corps has sent 200,000 volunteers to 139 countries. Between 2000 and 2009, an average of 22 women each year report being victims of rape or attempted rape, the agency told HuffPost Wednesday. There have been more than 1,000 sexual assaults and 221 rapes or attempted rapes in that time. Since sexual crimes often go unreported, experts note the numbers may be significantly higher."

You can see specific examples of how female volunteers were treated in the full text of the article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/1 ... 60718.html

It is 2011 and they are talking about making changes now. Its about bloody time! Why would any female choose to volunteer with them in light of this information?!

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Not What I Expected From The Peace Corps! May 12, 2011
Seems to be a 1961 mentality in place by those in position that could have done something about it. Pretty disgusting.

"The social support that a victim receives in the hour after the assault occurs is the key factor in assuring whether the victim will have long-term mental health problems," said Karestan Koenen, a Peace Corps rape victim who now teaches psychology at Columbia and Harvard. "We question ourselves and question our behavior. Blaming the victim just adds to the questioning of your own behavior -- you end up internalizing that blame and it can stop you from seeking help that you need because you are afraid that other people will respond the same way."

Seems they have a few sickos in camp.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Not what I expected from the Peace Corps! May 12, 2011
I'll stay clear of nudnicks and start by stating the obvious: rape or attempted rape is a bad thing.

I don't have all the statistics but would not be surprised if the figures are "normal" (again, zero should be the norm)...likewise, what some idiot does or says in any organization is not necessary reflective of the whole or of a system wide problem or "culture". The Peace Corps do a lot of good...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

The Peace Corps do a lot of good, but they don't protect or assist their female volunteers properly and that is a major problem!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

The article doe not breakdown the figures enough, but the example of the rape in Pakistan hints at the countries and cultures where these attacks are most likely to occur.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

benwj wrote:The article doe not breakdown the figures enough, but the example of the rape in Pakistan hints at the countries and cultures where these attacks are most likely to occur.

It was Bangladesh. The rape and murder was in Benin, a country near West Africa.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

benwj wrote:The article doe not breakdown the figures enough, but the example of the rape in Pakistan hints at the countries and cultures where these attacks are most likely to occur.

It was Bangladesh, a far cry from Pakistan I know.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

kanelli wrote:The Peace Corps do a lot of good, but they don't protect or assist their female volunteers properly and that is a major problem!

You know this or are you basing it on the article you posted?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Did you read the article Ambassador?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Did you read the article Ambassador?

did you read my first post?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat