Not Relating To Ones Own People

Topic locked
Not relating to ones own people Dec 05, 2006
Do you think that most of the time, you just cant relate/communicate with your own people/nationality?

For myself, i always had a problem that my way of thinking is different than a local's way of thinking, makes me feel as a black sheep in my society.....

do any of you face that before with your people?

Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Not relating to ones own people Dec 05, 2006
Bleakus wrote:Do you think that most of the time, you just cant relate/communicate with your own people/nationality?

For myself, i always had a problem that my way of thinking is different than a local's way of thinking, makes me feel as a black sheep in my society.....

Maybe you are generalizing "local's way of thinking" as being one and the same. Someone might look at you and think they know how you think.

Who are "your people" to anyone anyway - different strokes for different folks?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
Do you think that most of the time, you just cant relate/communicate with your own people/nationality?

Sometimes only.

I get irritated when I hear stories from friends who have been victimized by our own countrymen. Either by money or other evil things. I mean arent we supposed to stand up for each other? We are on a foreign land, for crying out loud. :(
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 05, 2006
well im emirati

Its just like if i look at a subject from an angle, they look at the subject at a different angle and there the conversation stops.

I am definately not saying that all locals are like that dude, i hate generalising myself although i might sound that i did in my previous post...

But with the friends i have right now we can think the same, discuss more about any subject....we interacted with alot of other people in our lives and experience different lifestyles and different goals.

also, the stuff the (locals that i interacted with in my life) have different way of having fun, jokes, hanging out, going places...etc. I just dont feel that i am part of them most of the time

you know what i mean?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
Bleakus wrote: I just dont feel that i am part of them most of the time

So you chose the red pill over the blue one? :lol:
Phoenix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 05, 2006
zam wrote:

Sometimes only.

I get irritated when I hear stories from friends who have been victimized by our own countrymen. Either by money or other evil things. I mean arent we supposed to stand up for each other? We are on a foreign land, for crying out loud. :(

it happens sadly, its human nature
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
Bleakus wrote:well im emirati

Its just like if i look at a subject from an angle, they look at the subject at a different angle and there the conversation stops.

I am definately not saying that all locals are like that dude, i hate generalising myself although i might sound that i did in my previous post...

But with the friends i have right now we can think the same, discuss more about any subject....we interacted with alot of other people in our lives and experience different lifestyles and different goals.

also, the stuff the (locals that i interacted with in my life) have different way of having fun, jokes, hanging out, going places...etc. I just dont feel that i am part of them most of the time

you know what i mean?

Have you been educated or spent a lot of time outside of the UAE?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 05, 2006
Phoenix wrote:
Bleakus wrote: I just dont feel that i am part of them most of the time

So you chose the red pill over the blue one? :lol:

which pill will take me to Marble Slap?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
Bleakus wrote:Have you been educated or spent a lot of time outside of the UAE?

what is got to do with situation? well i lived here all my life.....

so you mean anybody who lived his life in the country is uneducated?? :?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
I don't think he meant that. It can on the other hand explain why you feel
like you are not like the average normal local citizen, because having studies
in other countries and get impression from something else than the normal
thing can sometimes make you feel more tolerate towards others in your
thinking and acting.
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 05, 2006
Yep agree with that....if you have studied somewhere else, western education for example, you tend to be more open minded, have experienced other things and thus the influence in your way of thinking.
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 05, 2006
My hubby seems different than his countrymen who stayed in their own country to study and work. I think it makes a big difference if you study or work abroad. I am also different than some of my countrymen who have never spent time abroad.

In any case, it is still possible to feel different even if you have a similar background. Maybe you focus on other things than your friends, or tend to have a wider viewpoint. Maybe you are more easily able to think outside of the cultural box than other people. Don't feel bad about it! You are who you are, and the world would be a boring place if everyone thought and acted the same.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 05, 2006
Burken wrote:I don't think he meant that. It can on the other hand explain why you feel
thinking and acting.

Thanks Burken, that is what I was trying to say.

Its often the case when someone goes either to work overseas or study, and when you come back home, you have changed, but the others have not. You have broadened your mind, they have not; you have experienced different cultures, they have not; they have stagnated, you have not.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 05, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
Bleakus wrote:Have you been educated or spent a lot of time outside of the UAE?

what is got to do with situation? well i lived here all my life.....

so you mean anybody who lived his life in the country is uneducated?? :?

You interact with non-locals and studied abroad and thus really broadened your perspective about everything. You become more tolerant and you can see various things in other angles because of your exposure outside UAE and this can bring you somewhere. You are lucky because you can comprehend things that are not what common people do. :wink:

I experienced the same thing also from my own compatriot but i care less. Kaliwali!
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 05, 2006
Bleakus..i do identify with what ur saying specially when i meet those shallow girls from my nationality. yet lately im stunned with number of girls who r open minded and share my kinda of thinking...times are changing

And if u r referring to our parents and grandparents that's just natural..there is always a middle ground.

Yorky i don’t agree I’ve known ppl leave aboard study get high degrees yet still hold those old rusty believes.
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 05, 2006
Burken wrote:I don't think he meant that. It can on the other hand explain why you feel
thinking and acting.

i think because i went to a school with other nationalities and got to know more about them, but at the same time spent most of my time with the local group more, didnt succeed though

i studied at the dubai men's college, its a 100% local college, for 4 years. I never worked or studied abroad though
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
mema wrote:Bleakus..i do identify with what ur saying specially when i meet those shallow girls from my nationality. yet lately im stunned with number of girls who r open minded and share my kinda of thinking...times are changing

And if u r referring to our parents and grandparents that's just natural..there is always a middle ground.

Yorky i don’t agree I’ve known ppl leave aboard study get high degrees yet still hold those old rusty believes.

sadly i cant meet these local girls who are open minded because i will get shot by their bros (point blank)....hehe

your lucky mashallah.
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
mema wrote:

So have I, but from my 30 odd years of living overseas in various parts of the world, its the norm, not the exception.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 05, 2006
kanelli wrote:My hubby seems different than his countrymen who stayed in their own country to study and work. I think it makes a big difference if you study or work abroad. I am also different than some of my countrymen who have never spent time abroad.

In any case, it is still possible to feel different even if you have a similar background. Maybe you focus on other things than your friends, or tend to have a wider viewpoint. Maybe you are more easily able to think outside of the cultural box than other people. Don't feel bad about it! You are who you are, and the world would be a boring place if everyone thought and acted the same.

what you said makes sense, but its just the feeling that you dont belong to a certain group of people.....i guess i have to start my own tribe then ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
kanelli wrote:My hubby seems different than his countrymen who stayed in their own country to study and work. I think it makes a big difference if you study or work abroad. I am also different than some of my countrymen who have never spent time abroad.

what you said makes sense, but its just the feeling that you dont belong to a certain group of people.....i guess i have to start my own tribe then ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
It is not unusual. Some people even feel "out of place" within their own families - based on education, interests, beliefs, attitudes, circle of friends etc.

You are lucky to be in Dubai as you can meet and interact with people from all over the world (if you want to...).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 05, 2006
Bleakus wrote:
i studied at the dubai men's college, its a 100% local college, for 4 years. I never worked or studied abroad though

Then you are an exception. Well done.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 05, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
Bleakus wrote:

Then you are an exception. Well done.

me too..i never studied abroad :oops:
Does traveling count. :roll:
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 05, 2006
well I think any1 who has his own point of view on this life feel the same..also time passes and ppl realize that the things they believed in before usually are useless and sometimes even harming.
bonitta
Dubai chat master

Dec 05, 2006
I know exactly what you mean.

I don't know how I'm American aside from having a passport that says thats where i was born and being white.
bear
Dubai chat master

Dec 05, 2006
Well, I have no problems calling myself Canadian despite the fact that I am my own person and don't think like all Canadians do... Hmmm, what do all Canadians, Americans, Emiratis etc. think anyway... :roll:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 05, 2006
Scots and Irish are a funny breed in that we find any excuse to speak to people from our home nations, especially when we're abroad. It's amazing how you can hear an accent from home and literally sit down and drink or eat with that person for the rest of the night and chat about stuff. I was handing out beers to people with Scots accents at the rugby 7s at the weekend there, just stick a kilt on if you want to me to feed you full of Heineken at next year's event!
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Bleakus wrote:Do you think that most of the time, you just cant relate/communicate with your own people/nationality?

Sometimes you just have to blend in.....As for me i cant talk the language fluently but have no problem understanding what they say
Fresh
Dubai Forum Guest

Fresh wrote:
Sometimes you just have to blend in.....As for me i cant talk the language fluently but have no problem understanding what they say

which language dude?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Not relating to ones own people Dec 10, 2006

Maybe if you posted less on the forum and interacted with your friends more often, it would help :lol:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat