New Style For DF

Topic locked
Re: New Style For DF Dec 01, 2011
Andyba wrote:Forum rules will be visible only to novice users that have less then X posts.
For now I need your help making the rules effective so you will see them until I make rules for all the forums. :)
Bethsmum, what you do not like more rules or spam? :)

I just don't like rules, fullstop.

I have been banned for things other people have done aswell, so unless the 'rules' are applied fairly, then there shouldn't be any, IMO.

Just saying....

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: New Style For DF Dec 02, 2011
I used to browse the forums before it all change and personaly I like the old style, but this one looks more fresh :)
Yosef
BANNED

Re: New Style For DF Dec 03, 2011
DF style updated, please refresh the pages to renew the cached files.
Change log:
New colors.
New fonts and text sizes to accommodate Windows XP users, please let me know if it is better now.
Added the number of unread PMs in the menu.
Fixed some bugs.
Added a nice image header. :)
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Here is how Dubai Forum looks on my Linux machine.
dubai-forums.png
Dubai Forums Style 2012

Ideally it should look like this in modern browsers on all OSes.
If it does not look like this on your PC try to refresh the page, it's the F5 button for many browsers.
If it doesn't help you can try to clean the browser cache.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: New Style for DF Dec 03, 2011
Well, it's getting more and more like the 'Old Style' every day!

Keep up the good work Andy.

:lol:

-- Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:48 am --

I do like the new font in the posts, it looks like the one I use, is it Calibri?
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

The font was small and blurred this morning. Can you fix it Andy?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Dillon, the font is "Lucida Sans Unicode"
Drewpeacock, fonts on what page, what OS, what browser?
Can you please include a screenshot? But refresh the brower before you take the screen shot.
Thank you.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: New Style For DF Dec 04, 2011
Andyba wrote:Drewpeacock, fonts on what page, what OS, what browser?
Can you please include a screenshot? But refresh the brower before you take the screen shot.
Thank you.

If I know my friend Drew, It will be the Bombay Sapphire which will be affecting the font :D
Bethsmum

Re: New Style For DF Dec 04, 2011
There is a new style update, please refresh your pages to update the javascript and css.
I have added some pretty cool features.
If you click on the orange @ in front of the username you will add his name to the quick reply field.
If you select some text and click the same @ you will add the selected text as a quote from the Username that follows the @.

If while clicking on @ the quick reply box is not fully visible(bellow the fold) it will appear in the bottom of your page and will float like the right menu when you scroll up and down. Clicking the "Quick Reply" text in the bottom left corner of the quick reply box will toggle this functionality.

If you find that something is not working correctly please let me know.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: New Style For DF Dec 05, 2011
Andyba,

Just practicing. I can't add a smiley face.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:I can't add a smiley face.

How do you try to add them? Using the Full Editor?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: New Style for DF Dec 05, 2011
I like it Andy - all good :D
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Umm, If I may , I would be delighted to insult everyone's intelligence here, except of the Forum Admin (Good Evening Sir, Hope you are doing well Sir) ,

Beta - is a word that indicates something is in its prototype stage ie., it is still experimental. So as the TigerAdmin indicated (Good Day to you Sir) , once all the bugs have been identified inside the computer box, a fumigation bomb shall be dropped ensuring that all the critters are obliterated, After that very experienced plumbers will ensure all the leaks are sealed off with water sealant tape.

So patience everyone
shawagma
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Chocoholic, thank you. :)

People, have you tried the new @ quick quote functionality?
How do you like it?
Is it intuitive?
May be I should just create another button beside the reply button in the message? Or even better replace the reply button in the message with the new functionality...
What do you think?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Everything works fine, but the @ sign isn't visible in the 'Topic Review Window' if you wish to reply to multiple posters.
Dillon

shawagma wrote:Umm, If I may , I would be delighted to insult everyone's intelligence here, except of the Forum Admin (Good Evening Sir, Hope you are doing well Sir) ,

Beta - is a word that indicates something is in its prototype stage ie., it is still experimental. So as the TigerAdmin indicated (Good Day to you Sir) , once all the bugs have been identified inside the computer box, a fumigation bomb shall be dropped ensuring that all the critters are obliterated, After that very experienced plumbers will ensure all the leaks are sealed off with water sealant tape.

So patience everyone

Stop crawling, it's most unbecoming in a person.

-- Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 pm --

Andyba wrote:How do you try to add them? Using the Full Editor?

If you use the @key there is no option to add a smiley face. It also replies to me as Bethsmum. I prefer BM.
Apart from that it's ok.

Oh, now it's taken me to another screen where I can add a smiley. What a relief!
Bethsmum

Dillon wrote:Everything works fine, but the @ sign isn't visible in the 'Topic Review Window' if you wish to reply to multiple posters.

You mean if the posts are on different pages? Otherwise you can add multiple quotes with the @ by scrolling to those posts.
BTW in the Topic Review Window if you click on the Quote button after selecting some text you get the same functionality as @ . (Oh wait I forgot to upload the files :) now it should work)
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Bethsmum wrote:I prefer BM

I can change your username to BM, that's the only way to automatically use BM instead of Bethsmum. :D
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: New Style For DF Dec 06, 2011
I don't like the way, all of a sudden I'm receiving E Mails from DF on a new post on some active topics, if this is the 'allow admin to send messages' I've just deselected it, I think unnecessary E Mail traffic is only going to add to the arguments of some who wish to include charges for the currently free service.

And is this the possible reason why Dattaswami has revisited?

:roll:
Dillon

I noticed this new feature too when I downloaded my 59 emails to my phone this morning. I really must unsubscribe to Groupon.
Bethsmum

Found it! Edit Posting Defaults tab in Board Preferences, everything including 'Notify me on replies' has defaulted to 'yes'.

-- Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 am --

No, that's not it either, a rather annoying feature you've created Andyba, please remove it from my account, I don't want it thank you.
Dillon

User CP -> Board Preferences -> Edit posting defaults -> Notify me upon replies by default (Uncheck It to not subscribe to topics automatically when you reply to them)
ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post

And here you can manage your subscriptions
ucp.php?i=main&mode=subscribed

You can also unsubscribe from a subscribed topic via actions in the main menu.

BTW, do you receive email notifications for all new replies to a topic even if you have not visited the forum after the first notification?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Andyba wrote:User CP -> Board Preferences -> Edit posting defaults -> Notify me upon replies by default (Uncheck It to not subscribe to topics automatically when you reply to them)

BTW, do you receive email notifications for all new replies to a topic even if you have not visited the forum after the first notification?

Hello Dillon,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic, "New Style for DF" at "Dubai Forums". This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48116&p=394535&e=394535

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
dubai-chat/new-style-for-t48116.html

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
dubai-chat/

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Unsubscribe topic" link found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

viewtopic.php?uid=26246&f=1&t=48116&unwatch=topic

--
Thanks, Dubai Forums Management

I just received this E Mail, I do not subscribe to any topics and the 'notify me upon replies' is set to 'No'

Please advise

-- Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:00 pm --

Andyba, I've now received a further seven E Mails advising me how busy DF is, any ideas how I can disable this service? :)

-- Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:16 am --

Dillon wrote:
Andyba wrote:User CP -> Board Preferences -> Edit posting defaults -> Notify me upon replies by default (Uncheck It to not subscribe to topics automatically when you reply to them)

Hello Dillon,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic, "New Style for DF" at "Dubai Forums". This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48116&p=394535&e=394535

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
dubai-chat/new-style-for-t48116.html

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
dubai-chat/

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Unsubscribe topic" link found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

viewtopic.php?uid=26246&f=1&t=48116&unwatch=topic

--
Thanks, Dubai Forums Management

I just received this E Mail, I do not subscribe to any topics and the 'notify me upon replies' is set to 'No'

Please advise

-- Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:00 pm --

Andyba, I've now received a further seven E Mails advising me how busy DF is, any ideas how I can disable this service? :)

ANDYBA, A further eight E Mails! am I the only one receiving these notifications? why are you picking on me? :)
Dillon

Re: New Style For DF Dec 07, 2011
Dillon, did you check this link ucp.php?i=main&mode=subscribed ?
These are all the topics to which you are subscribed. Select them all and un-subscribe if you don't want to receive notifications by email when someone replies to them.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: New Style For DF Dec 07, 2011
There is one more feature activated. All topics that had no replies for more than 6 months will be automatically locked.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: New Style For DF Dec 08, 2011
Andyba wrote:Dillon, did you check this link ucp.php?i=main&mode=subscribed ?
These are all the topics to which you are subscribed. Select them all and un-subscribe if you don't want to receive notifications by email when someone replies to them.

I thought I'd done that but still received the emails. I've followed your link and done it again.

Everyone at work thinks I'm dead popular! I'm up to 60 emails today :D
Bethsmum

Re: New Style For DF Dec 08, 2011
I didn't have any subscriptions when I first looked a couple of days ago, I looked again yesterday and there were several! so my question is what process subscribes a user to a particular thread automatically? And how can I turn it off?
Dillon

Re: New Style For DF Dec 09, 2011
Uncheck Notify me upon replies by default here:

then unsubscribe from all the topics.
Also make sure when you reply to a topic that "Notify me when a reply is posted" is unchecked otherwise you are getting subscribed again.

If it will not help then there is a bug and I will look into it.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

OK, no new subscriptions since yesterday, I can only assume that the "Notify me when a reply is posted" was checked somehow?

Thanks Andy
Dillon

All the fonts look ridiculously large, I liked the old DF forums better.
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat