Moving With Fiancee

Topic locked
Moving with Fiancee Nov 03, 2008
Hi All,

I am moving in Jan 2009 as you may have seen from some recent posts. I have been engaged to my fiancee for a while but we are not yet married.
I hear that its illegal to live together but on the other hand I hear of a lot of people unmarried living together and in shared accomodation.

We are thinking about getting married before we move out but only if it is really required.

Can you please advise your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks Carrots :lol:

Carrots
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 03, 2008
It is not ILLEGAL par se to live in an apartment with someone of the opposite gender who you are not related to (and if it is, I know many people who don't abide by that rule) - but adultery is illegal... so you may wanna be careful in how you portray your relationship to neighbors, etc.
shariqq
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 03, 2008
shariqq wrote:It is not ILLEGAL par se to live in an apartment with someone of the opposite gender who you are not related to (and if it is, I know many people who don't abide by that rule) - but adultery is illegal... so you may wanna be careful in how you portray your relationship to neighbors, etc.

Actually it is illegal to share accomodation with the opposite s.e.x, but... it is generally ignored unless you cause problems to neighbours etc, and the police visit you.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 03, 2008
I have been living here for almost a year with my girlfriend with no problems. The biggest pain is that every two months "Mrs Scratcher" has to leave for a visa run.

"Mrs Scratcher" also does a very good job as acting as a wife....nagging incesently and generally making my life miserable. :wink:

(Disclaimer; If you read this Honey, it was a joke)

Scratcher
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 04, 2008
RAOTFLMAO!!!!!!

Good on ya Scratcher! You sound like the kind of guy who needs a beer!

The rule is simple: As 'Western expats' there is a high level of tolerance, but just don't make it too obvious and don't get caught! There are loads of co-habiting couples here.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 04, 2008
Scratcher wrote:I have been living here for almost a year with my girlfriend with no problems. The biggest pain is that every two months "Mrs Scratcher" has to leave for a visa run.

"Mrs Scratcher" also does a very good job as acting as a wife....nagging incesently and generally making my life miserable. :wink:

Scratcher

Did they not just tighten the rules up regarding the visa run ?
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 04, 2008
cheers all, it seems like I won't have to shed out and become tied down to the to be Mrs Carrots just yet phew........

:cheers:
Carrots
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 04, 2008
CVB wrote:
Scratcher wrote:I have been living here for almost a year with my girlfriend with no problems. The biggest pain is that every two months "Mrs Scratcher" has to leave for a visa run.

Scratcher

You can do one. Then you have to leave for 30 days before you return.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 04, 2008
CVB wrote:

Scratcher

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 04, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
CVB wrote:

Scratcher

Knight

I have heard that some nationalities are exempt from this ruling. I am off on Thursday for a long weekend in Muscat for the "Mrs Scratcher" visa run. If the visa run is succesful then all is okay, if not I get 30 days of peace and quiet, continous sport on the tele and evenings in the pub.

I hope they have tightened up on the rules!! :lol:
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008
You don't have to be out of the country for 30 days (as a UK passport holder). I've been in and out several times since the new rules came in and had no problems.
Kili
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 10, 2008
I wonder if you could work off of two passports to avoid having to stay out of the country for 30 days.
As long as you left on the same passport you arrive on then surely it would be OK.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 10, 2008
Kili wrote:You don't have to be out of the country for 30 days (as a UK passport holder). I've been in and out several times since the new rules came in and had no problems.

Mrs Scratcher was also okay with her vias run. :roll: My 30 days of freedom has just disappeared. :(
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008
Scratcher wrote:
Kili wrote:You don't have to be out of the country for 30 days (as a UK passport holder). I've been in and out several times since the new rules came in and had no problems.

Mrs Scratcher was also okay with her vias run. :roll: My 30 days of freedom has just disappeared. :(

I have a friend at the DNRD. I can ask him not let "Mrs. Scratcher" back in the country on her next visa run.
Then you and I can hit the pubs every night. But in return, you must promise to buy me my Heinekens!!

:lol: :lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat