Left Turn On Red Signal---Allowed?

Topic locked
Left Turn on Red Signal---Allowed? Dec 28, 2007
Ok,

As you might have noticed there are certain intersections/mid-sections where there might be a left/u-turn arrow traffic signal along with a stop sign. At most traffic signals there are not stop signs.

I noticed that on many occasions a driver will stop at the red light (red arrow) but proceed shortly thereafter. So I figure that it was ok to make the left/u-turn although there is a red light. That is, you use the same rules as those you use after a stop sign...

Is that the rule? (I'm to lazy to look it up and traffic regulation codes are crap to decipher anyways...). Please, I mean ther "real" rule as we all know how traffic rules are followed in Dubai.

Think about it: why would there be a traffic light and a stop sign at the same intersection?...

ps. By the way, whenever I come across a traffic light with a stop sign I follow the above rule (proceed even though the light is red - so long as safe). But maybe that is only because I'm a non-law-abiding bastard...

C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2007
Red is red. You telling me you jump red lights along with a bunch of your buddies? I've never seen a traffic light with a stop sign. Where are these? If these are in empty residential areas in one of those gated communities, or in some construction zone, things might be different.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 28, 2007
gtmash wrote:Red is red. You telling me you jump red lights along with a bunch of your buddies? I've never seen a traffic light with a stop sign. Where are these? If these are in empty residential areas in one of those gated communities, or in some construction zone, things might be different.

I figured people have not noticed them.

Well they are at Ibn battuta mall (parallel to SZR) and if you come off SZR towards knowleldge village (Al Saffou, Palm Jumerirah), and.. (can't remember exactly)...

Well, "red is red" in color but what does it mean when both a traffic light (red) and a stop sign are there???

I submit it means...proceed with caution...Otherwise why would they be there.

Anyway. Pay attention next time you are at a left turn with a traffic signal and you will might see a stop sign as well... then what...

So you have not answered because you had not noticed the signs so get back to me once (you have seen the signs and thought about the answer...) Well thought means zilch but...
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2007
I already said red is red.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 29, 2007
Right turn on red as is allowed in many countries including USA, is not allowed here in UAE.
I would suggest that the writer contacts the Dubai traffic Police for further clarification.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 29, 2007
I checked this out for Australia and the rule is lights override traffic signs in the event that there is a combination of both, with the exception of timed signs. i.e. no right turn between 7 am and 5 pm.

In the situation of turning on a red signal even though there is a stop sign in Australia is definitely illegal.

In Dubai... you could probably talk your way out of it, so long as you're not Britsh (who would just yell and scream, and say 'do you know who I am' and other stuff)
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 29, 2007
It should also be noted that in UK, left turn is not allowed on red light, this being the case why would a Brit decide that right turn on red is OK?, or is this another Aussie wind up?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 29, 2007
I have also noticed turn left when traffic is clear sign at the traffic light. Am always puzzled about it but I decided to abide to the traffic LIGHT itself.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 29, 2007
sage & onion wrote:It should also be noted that in UK, left turn is not allowed on red light, this being the case why would a Brit decide that right turn on red is OK?, or is this another Aussie wind up?

FFS learn to read.
^ian^

Dec 29, 2007
mmmmmmmmm in UK we also use flashing orange, this allows us to proceed or turn as long as there is no obstruction, in effect proceed only with caution or stop/give way.

Could this be a similar scenareo?
arniegang

Dec 30, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Right turn on red as is allowed in many countries including USA, is not allowed here in UAE.
I would suggest that the writer contacts the Dubai traffic Police for further clarification.

ummm thanks for sharing your knowledge. However, I was not interested in knowing the prices of eggs in Mongolia either (similarly "relevant" to the question).

The question relates to a left turn in Dubai where one is supposed to drive on the right side (with the driver seated on the left side of the car).

Anyways, it seems no one really knows (well, not at DF forums).

I will ask a cop...
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat