JellyFish Question

Topic locked
JellyFish Question Apr 16, 2010
Hi All,

Not been on here in a while, since i was looking for work in Dubai, but the U.K has been extremely good so far touch wood, so i can keep Dubai as a Holiday destination :)

I never really noticed any Jellyfish since ive been visiting Dubai from back in 2006, ive been a few times a year since then. Last year i took my siblings and stayed on JB, in April, had no problems waters were fine. Then i decided to take my folks and siblings again in August last year, and stayed in a Villa on the Palm J Frond A, and all we saw were Jellyfish, everywhere. I thought it was more so because we were further out but reading up it seems to be an increasing problem.

Ive read here that Jellyfish season is OCT-MAY, http://uaeagricent.moew.gov.ae/fisherie ... fish_e.stm which doesnt tie up with what i have seen.

Im thing of taking my Siblings again over there school summer break again as my folks want something more idelic, but we are all keen swimmers so this is a major dissapiontment.

Just wondering if any of the expats/locals have an further info on the JellyFish season, browsing the web is proving to be inconclusive.

Thanks
Jay

jayk
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: JellyFish Question Apr 16, 2010
I am not sure if their is a specific season for them, have seen them now and again, on the other hand I don't go to the beach very often, I am sure we have some regulars here who can give you better information.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Someone mentioned the season was Jun-Oct, yet the Environment issue says May-Oct.
Hopefully someone can help.
Cheers Sage,
Jay
jayk
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Human activities are for a big part responsible for these jellyfish invasions, it is a message from the sea that something is wrong. In Dubai, contamination of the water by heat (global warming and desalination plants), sewage and blooms of algae is helping jellyfish population to increase.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

herve wrote:Human activities are for a big part responsible for these jellyfish invasions, it is a message from the sea that something is wrong. In Dubai, contamination of the water by heat (global warming and desalination plants), sewage and blooms of algae is helping jellyfish population to increase.

says the local enviromentalist!! are we going to expect a book about jellyfish population in dubai from you herbie? 8)

you can find some jellyfish in mamzar if you are interested
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

I did expose in my book the contamination of the sea by Dubai, but why would I care, it s not my a$$ being stung by the jellyfish, but here we are, you have all the indications of an ecologic DISASTER, and you claim to have the best beaches in the world. You can buy reporters and fake reports all you want, unfortunately you cannot bribe floating feces and jellyfish blooms and they prove you wrong.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

herve wrote:I did expose in my book the contamination of the sea by Dubai, but why would I care, it s not my a$$ being stung by the jellyfish, but here we are, you have all the indications of an ecologic DISASTER, and you claim to have the best beaches in the world. You can buy reporters and fake reports all you want, unfortunately you cannot bribe floating feces and jellyfish blooms and they prove you wrong.

you strip, you build boats, you like to wear the hijaab, you like to swim, you like to be a spy, you like adventure, and you are a expert on enviroment hmmmm herbie would you like to become Dubai Forums offical FARMER?? 8)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

There are definite specific seasons for jellyfish. I've never really noticed a problem with them on the Dubai coast to be honest, more on the Fujairah side.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat