Humidity...

Topic locked
Humidity... Jun 15, 2006
The humidity in Dubai is killing me. I just cant walk outside even for a minute.
Is it true humidity makes you feel sleepy?
Somebody told me that humidity settles down in your lungs and that induces sleep. I still wonder how true is that...

dale
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 15, 2006
you have seen nothing yet my friend. Wait till August rolls in :D
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Humidity... Jun 15, 2006
dale wrote:The humidity in Dubai is killing me. I just cant walk outside even for a minute.
Somebody told me that humidity settles down in your lungs and that induces sleep. I still wonder how true is that...

Yawnnnnnnn, what did you say??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 15, 2006
I'm sorry... I dozzed off there for a second... :wink:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Humidity... Jun 15, 2006
dale wrote:The humidity in Dubai is killing me. I just cant walk outside even for a minute.

not true at all, humidity is water vapour in the air; when its breathed in the worst that can happen is your body will absorb it. the effect it has on the oxygen concentration in the air is negligible.

the sleepiness that most people experience in hot humid weather is more likily a self preservation method that the body employs to preserve energy in times of stress. many organisms reduce their metabolic rate in extremes of temperature (to high or to low)
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 15, 2006
Thank you Dr. D., great explanation
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 15, 2006
Excellent.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 15, 2006
The body can do strange things though regarding metabolic rate though, and can either speed up or slow down depending.

In the cold for instance, the body can speed up the metabolic rate to provide more temperature, or slow down to preserve fat for warmth. In extreme heat, the opposite is true, it can either slow down to try to keep the core temperature down, or speed up to burn of excess fat which is keeping the core insulated.

Heat and cold effect different people in different ways. Women seem to like warmer climes, men seem to enjoy cooler climes.

Personally, I wish mine would speed up to get rid of this Dubai-belly I put on since I got here.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat