London's Underground History

Topic locked
London's Underground History May 03, 2010
http://underground-history.co.uk/1929map.php

While searching for famous Metro Breakdowns I came upon this site, take a look at London's Underground in 1929, incredible.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: London's Underground History May 03, 2010
I think I remember London like that!

But I do have to ask...why the hell you were searching for famous Metro breakdowns? Planning something we should know about?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dubai Knight wrote:I think I remember London like that!

But I do have to ask...why the hell you were searching for famous Metro breakdowns? Planning something we should know about?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

Just getting prepared for the usual DB's that will come in regarding the latest Metro Breakdowns :D
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I have known this site for around 3 years - i too stumbled across it one day. Very interesting, not only about the Tube, but about "Underground London" in general. There are lots of tunnels under London, for varioous reasons, and this site is a very good description of them.

I remember travelling on the Central line from Tottenham Court Road to Bank, and spotting the "ghost stattion" that i read about on the site - things like that make the tube jourbey that little bit more interesting! I've also visited the "facade only" house on in Leinster Gardens, where the old steam trains used to vent the steam from the tunnels to "outside" - impressed my daughter no end with my knowledge! Even better you can back it up with a shot on Google Earth too.

It's well worh taking a good look at the site, especially if youn are in or plannign to travel to London - It's amazing what is there, in full view, but is missed in everyday life. I also bought a book called "Underground London" which is in a similar vein, but more general rather than focusing on the tube too much.

One thing i did learn was that all the dirt that was removed from the Metropolitan Line excavations was dumped at a place called Stamford Bridge.......
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

looks like snakes and ladders to me :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

BlueOrb wrote:I have known this site for around 3 years - i too stumbled across it one day. Very interesting, not only about the Tube, but about "Underground London" in general. There are lots of tunnels under London, for varioous reasons, and this site is a very good description of them.

I remember travelling on the Central line from Tottenham Court Road to Bank, and spotting the "ghost stattion" that i read about on the site - things like that make the tube jourbey that little bit more interesting! I've also visited the "facade only" house on in Leinster Gardens, where the old steam trains used to vent the steam from the tunnels to "outside" - impressed my daughter no end with my knowledge! Even better you can back it up with a shot on Google Earth too.

It's well worh taking a good look at the site, especially if youn are in or plannign to travel to London - It's amazing what is there, in full view, but is missed in everyday life. I also bought a book called "Underground London" which is in a similar vein, but more general rather than focusing on the tube too much.

One thing i did learn was that all the dirt that was removed from the Metropolitan Line excavations was dumped at a place called Stamford Bridge.......

That would explain why Chelsea are still sh1te!

I used to work with an archive company who leased miles and miles of tunnels and catacombs under Highgate, Hampstead and Finchley for storage of important documents until they could be microfiched. You would be amazed at the number of secret underground places there are in the city.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat