Horey - Success At The Rent Committee

Topic locked
Horey - Success at The Rent Committee Jan 29, 2007
I'm reposting this from the British Expats forum... with a bit of luck, it'll give heart to people whose landlords are trying to evict them to get around the new rent laws. The guy in question lives in the Springs; don't ask why he's only paying 67K for a 2-bed villa - it's a long story!

I'll try to keep a long story short, but in a nutshell if you have landlord problems do not hesitate to go to the rent committee, they are brilliant.

At the back end of last year my landlord told me he wanted to nearly double my rent from 67,000 to 120,000 pa if i wanted to stay another year (2007-2008). If i didnt accept then he was giving me three months notice to leave the villa by February.

I went to the rent committe, had a chat and was advised to bring a case against him.

That case was heard today and what a result, not only did they not accept his flimsy excuse of needing the house for his own use but as per the new law my rent has not been increased and i have agreed to a years notice period. I will also get my rent committee fee deducted from the rent.
I was offered the house indefinately with any increases in line with any laws in 2008 and onwards but knowing my landlord and wanting shot of him i didnt push this option.

In a nutshell I will be paying the same rent as last year because i paid a 15% increase last year and the law states that he cannot now ask for an increase this year, i have a years notice and the absolute winner.......if he doesnt move into the house himself between 2008 and 2009 and i find out he has rented to someone else, I am automatically entitled to compensation. (the landlord nearly choked at that bit)

From speaking to the committee and other tennants who won, the law now stands as this.

If you paid any increase in 2006 then you do NOT have to pay any increase in 2007. If you didnt then the maximum increase is 7%.

The only reasons you can be forced out even if they say its for personal use are if you have not paid rent on time, if your neighbours have complained about you to the police or if you have damaged the property.

Even if you lose the case you must be given a fair period to move out, the rent committe by their own admission say that should be at least a year if not two!!!

If the rent committee finds out that the grounds your landlord claimed on are false then you are entitled to compensation. ie they say they want to move in but instead put it back on the market.

It costs 3.5% of your annual rent to bring a case but if you win then this is deducted from your rental payments

They are really serious about clamping down an rouge landlords this time and every single tennant i spoke to had won their case hands down.
If you do bring a case, then always be polite to everyone in the municipality building (several people who were on reception when i lodged my case turned out to be committee members!!!), be reasonable when your in the hearing they want to arbitrate reasonable settelements within the law, clearly explain your case and refer to notes and any correspondence you have. DO NOT throw an expat strop, i watched a couple of people do this and frankly it went down like a lead balloon, at one point my landlord tried and was told if he didnt like the law he was free to leave the country and go home.

Dubai Municipality 04 221 5555
Rent Committee Chairman Ahmed Sheikh 04 2063813
Secretary 04 206 3088 (mostly a woman called Magda)
Lawyer (Zanab?) 04 2063917

Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 29, 2007
67K to 120K - is just too much. Tsk..tsk..landlord's mistake.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 29, 2007
In 2005 my rent was up by 33%. In 2006 by another 15%.
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 29, 2007
Brilliant! well done municipality rent committee and a great move for Dubai.

By putting in a law and acting upon it they may save losing a good chunk of the professional workforce in 2007/8.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jan 29, 2007
Great Posting Francheska, thanks.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 29, 2007
Congratulations! That's somewhat reassuring news.
iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat