Quit Smoking - Your Success Stories

Topic locked
Quit Smoking - Your Success Stories Oct 13, 2006
I overheard a conversation yesterday where a couple of people were discussing the best way to quit smoking. Has anyone here kicked the habit? And how?

PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 13, 2006
I have successfully quit smoking many times - if anyone needs advice on how, just PM me.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 13, 2006
^ian^ wrote:I have successfully quit smoking many times - if anyone needs advice on how, just PM me.

:lol:
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 13, 2006
so when do you plan on od'ing?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 13, 2006
Personally, the best way to quit is Cold Turkey. You have only a 3% chance of quitting, but if you make it past the first month, you have the greatest chance of staying a non-smoker.

Prior to the last time I took up smoking, I hadn't had a cigarette in 2 years, the problem arose when my marriage disintegrated and I kind of needed a few crutches... smoking somehow seemed a good choice.

I've never met so many smokers in Dubai.

If you are going to quit or cut down, some simple rules are good:

(1) Never smoke indoors, especially in your own house.
(2) Never smoke at work
(3) Try to avoid having one as soon as you wake up.

The minute you take the 'routine' out of it, it becomes a lot easier to beat the chemical addiction.

Those are my tips, and my attempt to drag this thread back on topic from being hijacked.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 13, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Personally, the best way to quit is Cold Turkey. You have only a 3% chance of quitting, but if you make it past the first month, you have the greatest chance of staying a non-smoker.

Prior to the last time I took up smoking, I hadn't had a cigarette in 2 years, the problem arose when my marriage disintegrated and I kind of needed a few crutches... smoking somehow seemed a good choice.

I've never met so many smokers.

If you are going to quit or cut down, some simple rules are good:

(1) Never smoke indoors, especially in your own house.
(2) Never smoke at work
(3) Try to avoid having one as soon as you wake up.

The minute you take the 'routine' out of it, it becomes a lot easier to beat the chemical addiction.

Those are my tips, and my attempt to drag this thread back on topic from being hijacked.

It's hard for me not to smoke while I'm driving. I actually get sick of myself when I smoke in the car, I start to count how many I've had and then i throw the one that I am on (which is usually half done) out the window and five minutes later I light up another....

One day, I will quit...completley, inshalla
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 13, 2006
I quit over 8 years ago, complete cold turkey, cruched 1/2 a packet and threw them away, never smoked since. Over 30 years a dedicated two pack a day man.
It was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life and also the best thing I have ever done.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 14, 2006
sorry to sound ignorrant, whats cold turkey and how is it supposed to help?

when i have quit for a while in the past it was just sheer will power nothing else, but if something can assist me in it why not? :)

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Quit Smoking - Your Success Stories Oct 14, 2006
PrettyPenny wrote:I overheard a conversation yesterday where a couple of people were discussing the best way to quit smoking. Has anyone here kicked the habit? And how?

Tried once.. quit for couple of weeks that was 5 yrs back. need to cut it down though.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 14, 2006
i like ian's advice.. personally, what i did was first to cut out smoking while driving.

after that, i quit indoors.

then i just quit.

shisha seems to be a big thing here.. i imagine quitting and hitting up a shisha place every night for a few days, then every other day, then once a week to casual can help greatly also.
jumanji
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2006
Jeevan wrote:sorry to sound ignorrant, whats cold turkey and how is it supposed to help?

when i have quit for a while in the past it was just sheer will power nothing else, but if something can assist me in it why not? :)

J

cold turkey is just stopping. no slow progression..

for example.. if your a two pack a day smoker, you don't go down to 1 pack a day, then 10 a day, then 5 a day then 1 a day..

you just stop..
jumanji
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat