HIV And Circumcission

Topic locked
HIV and Circumcission Dec 13, 2006
Just read this story on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6176209.stm

It's about a couple of studies which confirm an earlier finding that circumcision reduces the risk of infection of HIV.

But that's not why I posted it here.. the expert the BBC quotes is a certain

Dr Kevin De rooster, director of the HIV/Aids department of the World Health Organization told the BBC the results were a "significant scientific advance" but were not a magic bullet and would never replace existing prevention strategies.

Dr De rooster said that countries in Africa who wanted to use this approach would still have to decide what age groups to target and there would have to be training and hygienic practices in place.

:) :)

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: HIV and Circumcission Dec 13, 2006
shafique wrote:Just read this story on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6176209.stm

It's about a couple of studies which confirm an earlier finding that circumcision reduces the risk of infection of HIV.

But that's not why I posted it here.. the expert the BBC quotes is a certain

Dr Kevin De rooster, director of the HIV/Aids department of the World Health Organization told the BBC the results were a "significant scientific advance" but were not a magic bullet and would never replace existing prevention strategies.

Dr De rooster said that countries in Africa who wanted to use this approach would still have to decide what age groups to target and there would have to be training and hygienic practices in place.

:) :)

Cheers,
Shafique

You mean africans aren't circumcised? 8)

Scientifically it is more hygienic why man has to undergo circumcision. Some religions don't allow this. :? Also, it is more on women's advantage if their partner in life is circumcised to avoid pelvic cancer (caused by HPV virus).

And i think it is true also that circumcision can help prevent HIV infections cos having se.xual intercourse with uncircumcised male is one of the risk factors.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
Why is the doctor's name highlighted? It makes the article seem like a joke. :lol:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
gtmash wrote:Why is the doctor's name highlighted? It makes the article seem like a joke. :lol:

Because the Dr's name is KevinDe rooster. 8)
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
I highlighted the name because I found it funny in the context of the article.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 14, 2006
shafique wrote:I highlighted the name because I found it funny in the context of the article.

Cheers,
Shafique

Well spooted Shafique, he should change his name :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 14, 2006
maybe he has changed his name!

Imagine how many more people have read the article because they thought the name was funny :D
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 14, 2006
Coops wrote:maybe he has changed his name!

Imagine how many more people have read the article because they thought the name was funny :D

Reverse psychology theory, could be right :)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 14, 2006
it's like when it was popular to write S*X really huge at the top of whatever you wanted to say, then "now that i have your attention" - this is just a little more subtle
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 14, 2006
I wonder why circumcision doesn't offer the same level of protection to gay men?
freza
Dubai chat master

Dec 14, 2006
freza wrote:I wonder why circumcision doesn't offer the same level of protection to gay men?

Of course it offers the same level of protection in one regard, but there is likely a difference between genital to genital contact and genital to rectal contact. In addition, if someone is being promiscuous without using a condom then it is a given they are still at a higher risk of catching HIV and other diseases.

In any case, I disagree that people in some parts of the world should start advocating circumcision to prevent disease. All men have to do is keep themselves clean down there, and stop being promiscuous without using a condom. If that is done, the risk of passing a disease is also lowered. Africa is another matter, because condoms just aren't available all the time. The promiscuity factor is definitely under people's control though.

Nature made the foreskin to protect the penis, so people should leave it alone if they can keep it clean (which most people can easily do!). Advocating its removal for medical reasons is like advocating that everyone should have their tonsils, adenoids and appendix removed "in case" they run into problems later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision (for the delicate people out there, yes, there are a few pics of penises in there so beware)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 14, 2006
I tend to view circumcision performed on baby boys as borderline barbaric. Let them suffer when they grow up. And if they choose it.
freza
Dubai chat master

Dec 14, 2006
I completely agree. :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 14, 2006
I think articles like this are dangerous. Guys will go "I'm circumcised so I'm in a better position!".

Just wrong really. The only sure fire way to not get HIV from sex is abstinence, followed by condoms.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 14, 2006
kanelli wrote:
freza wrote:In any case, I disagree that people in some parts of the world should start advocating circumcision to prevent disease. All men have to do is keep themselves clean down there, and stop being promiscuous without using a condom. If that is done, the risk of passing a disease is also lowered. Africa is another matter, because condoms just aren't available all the time. The promiscuity factor is definitely under people's control though.

And women? Are they too not responsible?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
kanelli wrote:In any case, I disagree that people in some parts of the world should start advocating circumcision to prevent disease. All men have to do is keep themselves clean down there, and stop being promiscuous without using a condom. If that is done, the risk of passing a disease is also lowered. Africa is another matter, because condoms just aren't available all the time. The promiscuity factor is definitely under people's control though.

And women? Are they too not responsible?

And in Africa, its a well known proven fact that having sex with a baby reduces the chance of catching Aids! :wink:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
Of course, but it isn't a woman's job to clean a man's foreskin. He is more than capable of doing that himself when he is bathing... It is a no brainer that women should carry condoms too if they intend to be promiscuous. I didn't feel it needed to be said.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 14, 2006
kanelli wrote:Of course, but it isn't a woman's job to clean a man's foreskin. He is more than capable of doing that himself when he is bathing... It is a no brainer that women should carry condoms too if they intend to be promiscuous. I didn't feel it needed to be said.

But you made a point of mentioning men only!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
Um, because this thread is about circumcised penises, and I'm sure you'll agree that women don't have penises. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 14, 2006
kanelli wrote:Um, because this thread is about circumcised penises, and I'm sure you'll agree that women don't have penises. :lol:

You would be surprised, I am sure.

Its just that seem to have implied that it is just MEN should "stop being promiscuous without using a condom." I think that you would be very, very suprised at the number of women who do this as well.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
Yes, and I said that was a given.

Again, we are talking about men protecting themselves and their partners from HIV. My point was that men don't need to get their foreskins cut off to do so, they can just keep clean down there and use condoms!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 14, 2006
Woah - this was meant to be a light hearted thread! :)

The documentary I saw a few years ago on the results of the first study showed that it was the cells under the foreskin that were the point of entry of the HIV virus - removal of the foreskin made infection harder.

There were controls to allow for differences in behaviour in the studies and basically the conclusion is that circumcission does reduce the risk of infection from HIV, all other things being equal.

The other benefits or disadvantages of circumcission is a different matter (cleanliness etc).

Lighten up folks. :)

Circumcission - it's a sore point! :lol: :lol:

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 14, 2006
I'm so glad I wasn't born with a penis :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 14, 2006
kanelli wrote:I'm so glad I wasn't born with a penis :lol:

I did wonder. :wink:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
freza wrote:I tend to view circumcision performed on baby boys as borderline barbaric. Let them suffer when they grow up. And if they choose it.

Medically speaking, it is recommended to undergo circumcision while the boy is still infant cos the skin is still very soft & the wound heals faster, and psychologically easier cos there's no malice yet.

Socially, circumcised while you're still an infant would avoid teasing from his peers while growing up.

In school at some grade level (can't remember anymore which grade level i was), boys my age refused to go to school for fear that they'll be tease for not being circumcised. I do ride on to the teasing sometimes. :lol:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
Anaesthesis as a kid. Part of Islamic culture I believe. Better than exposing oneself in adulthood and sitting on a bed without pants.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
yorky500 wrote:

Yeah, I don't have a penis, but I certainly have balls. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 15, 2006
kanelli wrote:
yorky500 wrote:

Yeah, I don't have a penis, but I certainly have balls. :lol:

How many K? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 15, 2006
^ian^ wrote:I think articles like this are dangerous. Guys will go "I'm circumcised so I'm in a better position!".

Just wrong really. The only sure fire way to not get HIV from fun is abstinence, followed by condoms.

I agree Ian - it's sending out the wrong messages. It's alright having this kind of research, but you could end up with more ridiculous ideas like the high-ranking South African politician who, after having intercourse with a woman he knew to be HIV+, he took a long shower in order to cleanse himself!

To coin a Tony Blair phrase, Education, Education, Education - that is what is needed to iradicate AIDS.

And Shaf - good spot. The guys name couldn't have been anything else could it!! Dr de rooster!! Classic!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat