Greedy, Greedy, Greedy

Topic locked
Greedy, greedy, greedy Dec 20, 2006
I'm in the car this morning, on the way to earn another crust, and I'm listening to that AWFUL Emirates Bank ad on the radio. You know, the one that goes:
'Darling, our b!!@**d thieving landlord is putting up our rent by 50%. '
'Don't worry darling, we can open an options account - pay in 12 installments at a 'low' rate of interest.'
Oh happy days!
Then I'm reading the Gulf News story about certain schools in Dubai hiking their fees by up to 70%.
I mean, is this what it's coming to? Taking out loans, getting even deeper in debt to pay for even your basic needs here?

And before there is a flood of 'if you don't like it, p#@! off' from you locals out there, I know that, contrary to popular belief, you are not all Sheikh Yamonies. And a lot of you guys have big families and big houses - how do you manage? Are you finding it more and more difficult to make ends meet?
:roll:

sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 20, 2006
well im not gonna use that phrase, but the cost of schools now are outragous. I dont know why this is happening and i have raised this issue as a local to the commitee to at least revise the increasing cost of schools over the last 6 years.

the only people who can stop this issue before it gets out of hand, even as a local, i might have problems sending my kids to these schools.

I didnt get the last part of the sentence that you mentioned "ends meet"? can you repeat it in another way for me please?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Greedy, greedy, greedy Dec 20, 2006
sauron wrote:And before there is a flood of 'if you don't like it, p#@! off' from you locals out there, I know that, contrary to popular belief, you are not all Sheikh Yamonies. And a lot of you guys have big families and big houses - how do you manage? Are you finding it more and more difficult to make ends meet?

Yes we are all suffering on different levels..i know local families who r really in a bad conditions..n yet u will always have the option to "p#@! off' but where do local go from here.

so next time we local tell u to "p#@! off' don't take as an insult just take the advice n leave :roll: .
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 20, 2006
I didnt get the last part of the sentence that you mentioned "ends meet"? can you repeat it in another way for me please?[/quote]

'Make ends meet' basically means to survive on what you've got.
:)
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Greedy, greedy, greedy Dec 20, 2006
mema wrote:
sauron wrote:And before there is a flood of 'if you don't like it, p#@! off' from you locals out there, I know that, contrary to popular belief, you are not all Sheikh Yamonies. And a lot of you guys have big families and big houses - how do you manage? Are you finding it more and more difficult to make ends meet?

Yes we are all suffering on different levels..i know local families who r really in a bad conditions..n yet u will always have the option to "p#@! off' but where do local go from here.

so next time we local tell u to "p#@! off' don't take as an insult just take the advice n leave :roll: .

Everyone has the option of leaving.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
Why should we "leave" when it ought be the Government/Rulers who should be doing something about regulating these "rises"
and stopping the greed.

If everyone was to "leave" then the turnover of Professionals would be horrendous and would be detrimental to Dubai's economy and growth.

After talking to a number of recruitment consultants, it appears that they are able to place more expats leaving Dubai, than they can get to come here.

I think word is out that Dubai is not as good as everyone makes it out to be and is very, very expensive. Also, with exchange rates these days, it is not a very "attractive" option anymore.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
And I don't believe everyone does have an option to leave. That's a sweeping generalisation.........like saying all locals are rich.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 20, 2006
We've taken our greedy-ass landlord to the rent committee. Tonight we find out if we win the case or not. I'll be really surprised if we lose!

Some companies are already planning to leave or are in the process of leaving Dubai because of the greediness here. If it costs them a fortune to pay salaries, rent and schooling for their staff they will most certainly move elsewhere to run their businesses.

There are many countries in the world with good laws that protect consumers from greedy and fraudulent people, and the UAE needs to do more to stop this from happening here. The examples of the laws are out there - it is just so painfully slow to see things being implemented here.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 20, 2006
Exactly right, not everyone can just up and leave. Plus that's a totally ridiculous thing to say. If the Governments aren't careful, Dubai and the UAE in general will be home for the very rich and the very poor. There will be no middle classes, and these people are the ones who're generating the economy for the country.

It's a vicious circle, if people are spending all their money on paying rents and school fees and just generally surviving, then they won't go out and spend on entertainments, shopping, eating out etc, which in turn hurts the economy.

It really is about time those in higher powers woke up to the situation and put a hold on hikes in the prices of things, before it gets out of hand.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:It really is about time those in higher powers woke up to the situation and put a hold on hikes in the prices of things, before it gets out of hand.

The opposite to that Choc's (and I agree with you), is why should they? The Gov are looking after their own people (sorry sauron, no offence, ok). It is they who are getting rich (Yes, I know, not all of them, but a good % I am sure) as they are the ones who have to have a % stake in all businesses, own lots of property etc, etc, etc.

Is this the right or the wrong way?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
kanelli wrote:We've taken our greedy-a#s landlord to the rent committee. Tonight we find out if we win the case or not. I'll be really surprised if we lose!

I would be more surprised to hear if you win.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
Maybe the government wants to use this as a way of pushing the Western expats out of the country. The companies will find it more economical to employ locals and expats from countries with lower salary levels than in the West. The goal is most likely to have a huge workforce of locals and people from the surrounding Gulf countries. Then the cost of living levels will even out, because people can't be as greedy because the same kinds of packages are not being offered to employees anymore.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 20, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
kanelli wrote:We've taken our greedy-a#s landlord to the rent committee. Tonight we find out if we win the case or not. I'll be really surprised if we lose!

Why? Tenants have been winning the majority of the cases. Five people in my neighbourhood have gone and all have won.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 20, 2006
kanelli wrote:
yorky500 wrote:

Why? Tenants have been winning the majority of the cases. Five people in my neighbourhood have gone and all have won.

Well, I am not going to say why? However, it would appear from your additional info that you have a very good chance.

Good luck.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
kanelli wrote:Maybe the government wants to use this as a way of pushing the Western expats out of the country. The companies will find it more economical to employ locals and expats from countries with lower salary levels than in the West. The goal is most likely to have a huge workforce of locals and people from the surrounding Gulf countries. Then the cost of living levels will even out, because people can't be as greedy because the same kinds of packages are not being offered to employees anymore.

Western expats are not the only ones that are suffering. Many sub-continent/Asian expats too are complaining and suffering as a result of the unfair/unjustifiable rises in rents/schooling/cost of living.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
I never said that only Western expats are suffering. If we look at rent increases, especially where I am living, the landlords are doing it because the companies are paying the rents and they know they can keep pushing the levels up. I have neighbours from various nationalities but the ones with passports from the West who were moved here by their Western companies are the ones who are still okay because their company offers rent packages. It is my other neighbours who either have their own businesses or no company rent package (or tiny package) that are packing up and moving to more remote areas where they can afford the rent. Women are having to leave their children for some daycare and going back to work so that they can afford the rent etc. The cost of living increases affect everyone, but the greedy landlords etc. are successfully pushing the levels up because the companies offer the large rent packages. If everyone was paying rents from their own pockets I highly doubt there would be such large increases. Those without rent packages are suffering badly, and I feel for them.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 20, 2006
The rent packages give to employees for the most part are pathetic. People end up paying out of their own pocket anyway.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 20, 2006
Its an ever increasing triangle - the reason that the school rates are raking up is.....

They have to pay out more to get the teachers (and keep them) so the teachers can afford the rents here!?!?

I am here for a year, if there is no improvement there will be no need to tell me to bugger off home - I will be on the first plane myself.

Two facts;

Salary is higher and rent is cheaper in London.

Indian ecomony is going from strength to strength (3 of my friends have moved out to Bangalore in the past year for IT work).

There won't be to many left here after awhile. But the UAE are looking out for this - thus we have the elections and putting a lot of money into training for locals.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Dec 20, 2006
We are thinking the same. Hubby wants to hang on for a third year, but I want to be gone after the next rental contract expires. With me not working and us having to pay rent out of our pockets, it isn't really beneficial for us to live here. I could find work as a teacher for the third year, but from what I have heard the salaries haven't really increased in years. Any teachers on here that can confirm that?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 20, 2006
kanelli wrote:We are thinking the same. Hubby wants to hang on for a third year, but I want to be gone after the next rental contract expires. With me not working and us having to pay rent out of our pockets, it isn't really beneficial for us to live here. I could find work as a teacher for the third year, but from what I have heard the salaries haven't really increased in years. Any teachers on here that can confirm that?

Why don't you work K, just out of interest (not being nosey, ok). with you working it would raise your income (but also your costs), but I am sure you would do the math first to see if it was viable.

After all, if you have the opportunity to work, it puts less stress on a single income.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
Hard to get hired when you are pregnant :D I was working when I got here but the company was crap so I didn't sign a permanent contract with them.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 20, 2006
lol y is there always a post by some1 bitching about high rents and the increasing cost of living. get one nice job n live ur life. lifes like that its a princess but get on with it n stop complaining. we all are suffering. we cant revolt against the government can we now ;) n there is nothing that will be done if we say something cos basically we are EXPATS n we dont belong to this country. ok if it was concering the locals TOO much then they would complain n then there would be something done about it.

Jamal wrote:
.... aint none of ur paki or indian brothers ever gonna be playin no football mother lover ..... cause each time u fag's get a corner u all gonna go an open a shop ... hahaha ... i stood in front of the mirror and practised this for hours and hours and finally i got it .
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 20, 2006
kanelli wrote:Hard to get hired when you are pregnant :D I was working when I got here but the company was crap so I didn't sign a permanent contract with them.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, congrats then. I did not know.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
Would not say we are bitching rudeboy by discussing stuff that effects daily lifes - its in the news dude. You will find people talk about these aspects of living all over the world.

But i do agree as well - at the end of the day its not our country.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Dec 20, 2006
There is no crime in trying to make things better where you are living. Things only get better when people princess about it and take action to change it. Believe me, people who don't belong to this country will leave if they are unhappy enough.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 20, 2006
kanelli wrote:There is no crime in trying to make things better where you are living. Things only get better when people princess about it and take action to change it. Believe me, people who don't belong to this country will leave if they are unhappy enough.

lol u 4got where u living. UAE aint england or america where your thoughts count. me and u dont have the rights to vote to put someone in power who will help us or even support us. this aint england where u cant vote when they have elections going on for the local council where u can vote for your councellor n he/she will help u or solve ur problems and make life better for u.
lol ppl princess about it and take action lol wot action u talking about. thinking of going to the sheikh n tell him plz plz plz plz get the rents down lol. yeh ppl will leave alrite. some of us have already left. me n u will leave but tommorow there will always be someone who wants to come to dubai :D but once it has been developed all da buildings built n everything all it will be a ghost town. there wont be any rudeboys, jamals or kanellis. instead there will be rich n loaded ppl n most of them will be in other countries they will just fly to dubai n spend their holidays here n back. :D
no1 will listen to u here unless u r a LOCAL.
bitching wont get u anywhere. ppl have been bitching about traffic for YEARS now n they keep on bitching n bitching i mean get over it and get a bike or something :D or a banshee yeh :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 20, 2006
'Let's talk about rents, baby
Let's talk about the hikes in UAE
Let's talk about all the good things
And the bad things that happen when take back the keys.
Lets talk about it - dooob doob
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Dec 20, 2006
can we talk about girls. they interesting species :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 20, 2006
Hiiiiiiiiiii to Kannelli and let me add my congratulations. Another mouth to feed, huh??!!! :D
Re: teacher's salaries, I think educational institutes are beginning to wake up to the fact that people are seriously considering leaving and are reviewing current packages. However, I feel that it could be a case of too little, too late.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 20, 2006
are u all indians or something :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat