Greedy, Greedy, Greedy

Topic locked
Dec 21, 2006
kanelli wrote:Our first time at the rent committee was only 2 weeks after we filed. Because the landlord's rep didn't bring two important papers our case was postponed another week. We went back yesterday and once some hassle with some of our paperwork was solved and the case was actually heard, it took 5 minutes for them decide against the landlord who was clearly in the wrong. Safe in our home for one more year :D

gratz dude, "looks like we made it"

Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 21, 2006
i know there is a good fish n chips place on SZR called the "Chippy". Im Lovin it
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 21, 2006
Have to check that one out Bleakus.

Unfortunatley lots of people are hijacking our thread on fish 'n' chips and going on about rents!?!! :)

One thing i just thought of reading this over - If the rent cap is removed in Jan 2007 what will the rent commitees main use be?

jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Dec 21, 2006
There won't be a rent committee anymore if the rent cap is removed. However, let's not jump to conclusions about the rent cap being removed. The Sheikh still has until the last day of December (or whenever he wants really!) to make a new ruling.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 21, 2006
ok found a nice place in shj that does fish n chips. n they bring in COD yes COD especially from uk. lol i think da shop keeper was pulling my leg am sure u can get cod here rite?

man i miss those fish fingers :( those crispy fish fingers :(
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 21, 2006
rudeboy wrote:ok found a nice place in shj that does fish n chips. n they bring in COD yes COD especially from uk. lol i think da shop keeper was pulling my leg am sure u can get cod here rite?

Cod here would be frozen I would think, its not available in the Gulf waters.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 21, 2006
Thread hijackers! :P
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 21, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
rudeboy wrote:ok found a nice place in shj that does fish n chips. n they bring in COD yes COD especially from uk. lol i think da shop keeper was pulling my leg am sure u can get cod here rite?

Cod here would be frozen I would think, its not available in the Gulf waters.

yeh thats wot i thought u cant catch a cod here it has to be imported from england or some place else. but anyways it tastes NICE da chips are alrite n its only for 15dhs awsome :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Greedy, greedy, greedy Dec 21, 2006
sauron wrote:I'm in the car this morning, on the way to earn another crust, and I'm listening to that AWFUL Emirates Bank ad on the radio. You know, the one that goes:
'Darling, our b!!@**d thieving landlord is putting up our rent by 50%. '
'Don't worry darling, we can open an options account - pay in 12 installments at a 'low' rate of interest.'
Oh happy days!
Then I'm reading the Gulf News story about certain schools in Dubai hiking their fees by up to 70%.
I mean, is this what it's coming to? Taking out loans, getting even deeper in debt to pay for even your basic needs here?

And before there is a flood of 'if you don't like it, p#@! off' from you locals out there, I know that, contrary to popular belief, you are not all Sheikh Yamonies. And a lot of you guys have big families and big houses - how do you manage? Are you finding it more and more difficult to make ends meet?
:roll:

Back on track then :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 21, 2006
wait wait wait
fish is more exciting
can we talk how to cook fish :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 21, 2006
you guys from the uk must have left here an awful long time ago. they haven't served fish and chips in newspaper here in gogd knows how long...u lot must have visited ancient england! :?
wannabe
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2006
ancient England.......nah! You can still get ém with the lovely smell of steaming newsprint in Scotland. Yuuuuuuuuum
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 21, 2006
sauron wrote:ancient England.......nah! You can still get ém with the lovely smell of steaming newsprint in Scotland. Yuuuuuuuuum

Thats because they are backwards :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 21, 2006
kanelli wrote:Our first time at the rent committee was only 2 weeks after we filed. Because the landlord's rep didn't bring two important papers our case was postponed another week. We went back yesterday and once some hassle with some of our paperwork was solved and the case was actually heard, it took 5 minutes for them decide against the landlord who was clearly in the wrong. Safe in our home for one more year :D

Will your landlord follow the ruling? Someone wrote a letter in a newspaper about going to the committee, which he won against the local landlord, but the landlord just said "screw you" to the rent committee and went home, while the committee didn't do sheet to enforce the ruling.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 23, 2006
Well, suits me. I would just stay in the villa living rent free. They can't kick me out or get any money from me without the rent committee ruling and the signed contract. So the landlord would get zero rent.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 27, 2006
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 27, 2006
Good news :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 27, 2006
kanelli wrote:Good news :)

How is it good? without a cap they can charge any additional amount (far in excess of 15%)!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat