Food And Mood

Topic locked
Food and Mood Oct 05, 2006
Does food really affect your mood? Do we reach out for salty foods like nuts, crisps and crackers if we are feeling social and extrovert-like? Do we reach for sweet fizzy drinks if we are feeling all fun and bubbly? Do we reach for carbohydrate foods like bananas, pasta, chocolate, chocolate drinks or milk if we need warmth, comfort and security? Your mood makes you eat certain foods, and your food makes you have moods too! Isn't it interesting how true that is.

I was glad to find these links today:

www.foodandmood.org

www.moodgym.anu.edu.au

www.reversetherapy.com

beachbelle
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 05, 2006
Interesting!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 05, 2006
you still researching on food :), long time no see hope ur doing good :)

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 05, 2006
its chocolate for me in all moods :love5:
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 05, 2006
beachebell,

Thanks for the links, they're cool. I strongly believe in the food and brain chemistry connection - there's enough scientific data to support it.
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 07, 2006
what are your favorite brain foods?
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 07, 2006
Mint Tulip wrote:what are your favorite brain foods?

I think wed alll agree that in order for the brain to function well, you have to be wide awake and feeling fresh and energetic.

So for me, my brain food is

Kellogg's CornFlakes or Cheerios in 2% Fat Milk and then a Cup of Strong Indian Tea with some Glucose Biscuits followed by a bar of Galaxy Chocolate.

(gets me hyper and I think better) :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 07, 2006
If I don't eat I will be in a bad mood, so the answer is yes Food affects your mood.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 07, 2006
sage & onion wrote:If I don't eat I will be in a bad mood, so the answer is yes Food affects your mood.

lol Sage Sage Sage, granted I have no idea what you look like or who you are bro, but I get the strangest feeling that your mood is kinda moody whether you eat or don't :P hehe
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 07, 2006
nosoup4u wrote:
sage & onion wrote:If I don't eat I will be in a bad mood, so the answer is yes Food affects your mood.

lol Sage Sage Sage, granted I have no idea what you look like or who you are bro, but I get the strangest feeling that your mood is kinda moody whether you eat or don't :P hehe

Well you got it wrong, I am not moody at all, thats cause I am well fed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 07, 2006
nosoup4u wrote:

I think wed alll agree that in order for the brain to function well, you have to be wide awake and feeling fresh and energetic.

Kellogg's CornFlakes or Cheerios in 2% Fat Milk and then a Cup of Strong Indian Tea with some Glucose Biscuits followed by a bar of Galaxy Chocolate.

Wow, that's a cool breakfast, kind of on the sweet side. Do you drink your tea with sugar or honey?
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 07, 2006
mint tulip
indian tea is never with honey...always lotsa sugar and lotsa milk...sweet as hell...and think as syrup....the best kind....now i am craving fora good cuppa :?
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 07, 2006
Mint Tulip wrote:
nosoup4u wrote:

Wow, that's a cool breakfast, kind of on the sweet side. Do you drink your tea with sugar or honey?

Sugar but not too much. You don't want to get it tasting as sweet as honey :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 07, 2006
constantine wrote:mint tulip
indian tea is never with honey...always lotsa sugar and lotsa milk...sweet as hell...and think as syrup....the best kind....now i am craving fora good cuppa :?

Lets all meet up in the evening and have a Tea (or as the indians say it, CHAI) marathon. I'll supply the Biscuits :P heheh
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 07, 2006

I drink Indian tea all the time, usually in those little plastic cups, but I have been wondering what is used to sweeten it because I can't "taste" the sugar, just the sweetness, know what I mean? (I can usually distinguish what sweetner is used in a drink, but it's not always the case with a strong brew of tea.) At home I make my tea extra strong, with milk, but add honey instead of sugar.
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 07, 2006
nosoup4u wrote:

Lets all meet up in the evening and have a Tea (or as the indians say it, CHAI) marathon. I'll supply the Biscuits :P heheh

I would love a tea party!
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 07, 2006
sounds like a good idea...there is a place in the marina that serves wicked indian food...i am sure they have indian tea...i actually have a prenium darjeeling blend...now it all lies with the simple fact...if i can be arsed to get up off my comfy bed and dvds and venture out...hahahaha :P
constantine

Oct 07, 2006
Mint Tulip wrote:

I drink Indian tea all the time, usually in those little plastic cups, but I have been wondering what is used to sweeten it because I can't "taste" the sugar, just the sweetness, know what I mean? (I can usually distinguish what sweetner is used in a drink, but it's not always the case with a strong brew of tea.) At home I make my tea extra strong, with milk, but add honey instead of sugar.

the trick is old school....blend the sugar in with the tea leaves...when the water is boiling...if you wanna make kick ass indian tea....heres the secret....reboil on a slow heat...at least a couple of times and keep adding a bit of sugar....painful but worth it!!...
constantine

Oct 07, 2006
cool! thanks for the tips Constantine.
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 07, 2006
constantine wrote:
Mint Tulip wrote:

the trick is old school....blend the sugar in with the tea leaves...when the water is boiling...if you wanna make kick a#s indian tea....heres the secret....reboil on a slow heat...at least a couple of times and keep adding a bit of sugar....painful but worth it!!...

It's just too sweet though.

I love Chai Pakistani with Cardamom
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 07, 2006
sage
to each his own mate....i find english tea a bit bland :lol:
constantine

Oct 07, 2006
Eh.. Constantine/Minty Gal.. these big places don't serve Indian Tea like it should be. One of these weekends, lets meet up. I'll take you to this small shack in Bur Dubai thats serves the best indian tea you've ever had.

Also, incredible Veg. food. Trust me, you'll be asking for seconds and thirds :P

If you know where Astoria Hotel is in Bur Dubai, actually we used to call it Par Dubai.. there's a shopping street where you can shop till you drop and get amazing deals on everything.

If you guys want, email me and we'll set something up for a weekend after ramadan.

"TEA PARTY" Weekend as Minty called it :) All interested, shoot me an email or lets post it under events here.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 07, 2006
soupie

sounds brillliant man....perhaps after ramadaan would be ideal!!...a weekend of getting wired on tea...rather than alcohol... :lol:
constantine

Oct 07, 2006
constantine wrote:sage
to each his own mate....i find english tea a bit bland :lol:

Now here I agree with you, mind a good cup of tea made in Ireland, with real tea leaves and left to stand the customary 5 minutes. When poured you can stand your spoon up in it, now thats good enough to rot your socks m8 :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 07, 2006
Tea with a bit of honey as sweetener is better than tea with sugar. At least it's not empty calories like sugar-which is purely for the taste. Twinings vanilla tea is delicious, feels like having a dessert!

How about soups? im sure 'nosoup4u' can tell us more.. :lol:
I must admit that I droool over asparagus soup, broccoli soup, cream of frnech onion soup (with a melted cheese on toast dipped in) and cream of tomato soup. Lentil soup is ok in winter and so is leek soup! Ideally all the ingredients will be fresh!! yumm.. I am staaarving already!
beachbelle
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2006
beachbelle wrote:Tea with a bit of honey as sweetener is better than tea with sugar. At least it's not empty calories like sugar-which is purely for the taste. Twinings vanilla tea is delicious, feels like having a dessert!

How about soups? im sure 'nosoup4u' can tell us more.. :lol:
I must admit that I droool over asparagus soup, broccoli soup, cream of frnech onion soup (with a melted cheese on toast dipped in) and cream of tomato soup. Lentil soup is ok in winter and so is leek soup! Ideally all the ingredients will be fresh!! yumm.. I am staaarving already!

lol, Beachie..

Quit getting me all hungry, I can't eat until 6:12pm :twisted:

my favourite soup is Manchow soup. Excellent blend of vegetables, soy sauce, some chilli sauce and chicken.

How about we keep a "Lets Eat some Soup" Day? :P

By The way, I put up a poll for the TEA-PARTY day in the General section.
Cast your vote. if we get enough people interested, we'll have the mods make it an event. if they agree to do so and join us :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 07, 2006
nosoup4u wrote:

Ditto for me. But i add a smoko at the end. :) and not Galaxy but Snickers. heheh
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 07, 2006
Manchow soup sounds delicious! Any soup for me 'nosoup4u'? It is quite torturing to stop someone from having soup especially if it's there steaming and you can smell it, around 6pm. Then you go 'No Soup for You!!" How can anyone be so mean?

Talking about soups.. what's everyone's favorite soup? And is it true that just like ice cream, once you start, you cannot stop?
beachbelle
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2006
beachbelle wrote:Manchow soup sounds delicious! Any soup for me 'nosoup4u'? It is quite torturing to stop someone from having soup especially if it's there steaming and you can smell it, around 6pm. Then you go 'No Soup for You!!" How can anyone be so mean?

Talking about soups.. what's everyone's favorite soup? And is it true that just like ice cream, once you start, you cannot stop?

believe me she knows her food :) my favorite is chicken lung fung i dunno if i spelt that right though:). and there was this amazingly tasty french onion soup i tasted in a resort back in india, never found it again anywhere:)

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 07, 2006
Steaming Fish Broth
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat