Extreme Weather Warning

Topic locked
Extreme Weather warning Jul 25, 2006
Not sure if this is true guys ... but thought I would circulate it just in case:

This is an urgent warning on extreme weather conditions expected to on Friday and it will last for at least 24 hours!!!

Due to the current weather development very strong winds is expected of Friday, according to the forecast that we have received wind speeds of 60mph and more is expected. This is because of a weather system that is moving down the gulf and it is expected to reach Dubai on Friday!!! Our office in Raslafan Qatar has closed all operations and they are now trying to secure everything as far as possible to prevent fly debris. Waves in excess of 5m are also forecasted.

Please inform everybody about this expected adverse weather condition. According to the forecast the wind speeds are likely to increase as the system moves down the gulf and it is expected wind speeds will be the highest recorded it the region.

The message for the people is to stay in doors on Friday and avoid the beaches. :?

Cargirl
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Extreme Weather warning Jul 25, 2006
Cargirl wrote:Not sure if this is true guys ... but thought I would circulate it just in case:

This is an urgent warning on extreme weather conditions expected to on Friday and it will last for at least 24 hours!!!

Due to the current weather development very strong winds is expected of Friday, according to the forecast that we have received wind speeds of 60mph and more is expected. This is because of a weather system that is moving down the gulf and it is expected to reach Dubai on Friday!!! Our office in Raslafan Qatar has closed all operations and they are now trying to secure everything as far as possible to prevent fly debris. Waves in excess of 5m are also forecasted.

Please inform everybody about this expected adverse weather condition. According to the forecast the wind speeds are likely to increase as the system moves down the gulf and it is expected wind speeds will be the highest recorded it the region.

The message for the people is to stay in doors on Friday and avoid the beaches. :?

anyone know where I can hire a surfboard for the day?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 25, 2006
yeah got an email about this too... But couldn't find any info about it online. IMO just an experiment by some people to have the beaches for themselves :D :D :D
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 25, 2006
It's not unusual to get this kinda weather around this time of year. It's the high winds and the bloody great golf ball hail I hate - what the heck is that all about?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 25, 2006
I'm going to buy a kite
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 25, 2006
I hope they do not ignore weather reports and shut the paragliding down this year.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 25, 2006
Did someone mention playing golf?!?
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 26, 2006
exactly the same email in my mailbox, my friend from ABN Amro said it was kinda officialy declared in their office, people who work extra on fridays not to come and stay indoors. dunno how true it is, lets wait for friday:).

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 26, 2006
Cargirl, if the storm turns up early it could be a problem for our karting races on Thursday night...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 26, 2006
kanelli wrote:Cargirl, if the storm turns up early it could be a problem for our karting races on Thursday night...

:shock: imagine driving at breakneck speeds on the track in 60 mph winds :). if they said friday it better start on friday :lol:

jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 26, 2006
I think it could just be one of those email hoaxes.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 26, 2006
kanelli wrote:Cargirl, if the storm turns up early it could be a problem for our karting races on Thursday night...

My god if we drive one of those things into a 60mph wind they will stop!!

Sure we will be fine!!
Cargirl
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 26, 2006
This email is passing around in speed! I got that one too. And it was later confirmed by my friend in Qatar that they have strong wind there & are expected to turn to Dubai :roll:
easternjewel

Jul 26, 2006
Well!!!Its official!!! The email is a hoax...Confirmed in Gulf News today
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 26, 2006
gee thnx! I had plans for friday!
easternjewel

Jul 26, 2006
For all the people too bored to read it from the website :)

here goes

Dubai: A weather forecaster on Tuesday assured people that a heavy storm is not expected in Dubai on Friday after a hoax e-mail warned residents to stay indoors.

Phil Targett, duty forecaster at Dubai International Airport, said Friday is expected to be a normal day and that there was no cause for concern.

"We're not expecting anything dramatic on Friday according to our modelling data. Friday looks like being a relatively average sort of day," he said.

The e-mail apparently from an office in Qatar and sent under the title of "urgent warning" - says workers are trying to secure buildings to prevent flying debris.

It cautions that a weather system is moving down the Gulf and winds could reach as much as 60mph (96.5kph), causing huge waves of more than five metres.

"Please inform everybody about this expected adverse weather condition. According to the forecast the wind speeds are likely to increase as the system moves down the Gulf and it is expected to reach Dubai on Friday!!!" the message says.

It adds that people should stay indoors on Friday and "avoid the beaches" because of the massive waves.

"Our office in Raslafan, Qatar has closed all operations and they are now trying to secure everything as far as possible to prevent flying debris," the e-mail, which is sent anonymously, continues.

Targett said wind speeds as high as those mentioned in the e-mail were "very uncommon" in the UAE."

"We might get about 15 knots (about 27kph), something of that order, on Friday. It's possible we're looking at a fresh southerly, but we're not looking at anything dramatic.

"If there was an extreme weather system in the Gulf region that could affect Dubai, forecasters here would be aware," he said.

cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Extreme Weather warning Jul 29, 2006
Cargirl wrote:Not sure if this is true guys ... but thought I would circulate it just in case:

grow up and stop trying to cause panic and mayhem :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat