Emirati Cuisine

Topic locked
Emirati Cuisine Apr 16, 2010
I wonder if any of you had the chance to experience he Emirati cuisine, or atleast have a general idea what it's like. During the national day celebration, we had an open day full where all departments participated in the celebration by decorating the offices and there was an competition going on which was all fun!

Anyways, not to drift away from our subject, part of the activities was introducing Emirati cuisine to our non-emirati colleagues at work. I took advantage of having not less than 6 different types of local dishes, so I took plenty of fotos in order to post it here someday. Et voila! :wink:

Some might just look simple, others might look interesting.

1) Khabeesa

2) Bajilla

3) Rigag (type of bread, I like it crunchy, or mixed with egg + a local sause called mehyawa, tastes yummyy)

4) Madrooba

5) Dango

6) Harees (This is a famous one! Always served in Ramadan :mrgreen: )

7) Balaleet (It's like sweet noodles, its served with egg. I've posted 2 pics., the 2nd pic is with egg on top)

8) Halwa Omaniya (It's a local dessert from neighbouring Oman, but also very common here)

These are fotos I got, I forgot to take a shot of the "Legaimat", which is kinda like mini-donuts, served with date syrup. It's one of my favourites !! :D

This is a foto of Legaimat, but its random from google ..

9) Legaimat

10) Mhammar (It's basically sweetened rice with fish!)

The Emirati food varrys, depending on which group of people you'll visit. For instance those who live in the desert won't be familiar with mhammar, where as the one's living on the coast won't be familiar with the "Mashwi", which is a local way of cooking meat by burring the whole pot with coal under the ground XD

Let me know if you want to try eating any of it, I'll surely ask my grandma to cook anything for you! It's her passion to cook and then enjoy looking at people eating the food she cooked :mrgreen:

symmetric
BANNED

Re: Emirati Cuisine Apr 16, 2010
Ooooo! Another food post! You tempt me too much!

Most of these are available at the Emirati restaurant in Al Boom Tourist Village next to Garhoud Bridge on the Bur Dubai side. The mother of a local friend of mine makes the little donuts and I simply can't resist them! She brings them around sometimes at breakfast time if we are working from his place and there are never any left when it gets near me!

Alternatively, try the camel Burger at Bastikiya. It may sound hideous, but camel meat is very nutritious and low in fat. Camel steaks are like a dense beef steak and actually very pleasant on the barbie. I can't recommend the camel milk chocolate though! Sorry, it just is wrong and doesn't taste like chocolate at all! Too sweet and full of E's!

In August, see if you can get your hands on some of the Al Dhafra brand dates from Al Ain. These come from the plantations of the late Sheikh Zayed Al Nayhan and when they are half yellow and half brown taste and have the consistency of caramel. Simply yummy but you need a shower afterwards unless you want to do an impersonation of fly paper!

Unfortunately I cannot eat oysters, but a friend who loves them tells me the local ones bought fresh from the fish market at 'oh my god o'clock!' in the morning are absolutely world class. Seafood has always been part of the staple diet here and if you have never tried Kingfish, you are missing out. Locally it is cut into steaks, rolled in ground cumin and then grilled. Simple and delicious!

Dammit, now I am hungry!!!

:D :D :D

Fat Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Isnt Ragag ( egg and cheese me favorite, never let them put the stale fish sauce on it ) and Dango Iranian and not emarati ?

Never been fond of Hareesa, but the majority loves it. Same with Omani halawa. Its been a long time since I ate Legaimat :(
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Isnt Ragag ( egg and cheese me favorite, never let them put the stale fish sauce on it ) and Dango Iranian and not emarati ?

Never been fond of Hareesa, but the majority loves it. Same with Omani halawa. Its been a long time since I ate Legaimat :(

Yes Regag, Dango, also Bajila and Balaleet are actually coming from the local Persian community of the G.C.C, & specifically from the province of Fars (Shiraz), which is where our ancesstors originated from. So some other people from different provinces in Iran might not share the same thing with us :mrgreen: But this has become very common already in the GCC.

Exactly how Biryani found it's way to the local's kitchen! It's a famous Indian dish, but all locals cook it now ;)

And by the way, regarding the Rigag bread, it's reallyyyyy delicious with the Mehyawa sauce!! That sauce is also Iranian based from ourside (Avicinna mentioned it in his books), it's made up of small fish powder mixed with GOD knows what (I'll ask grandma lol), but it's so goooood :D

Legaimat remind me of the Golab Jamon somehow :mrgreen:
symmetric
BANNED

Dubai Knight wrote:Ooooo! Another food post! You tempt me too much!

Most of these are available at the Emirati restaurant in Al Boom Tourist Village next to Garhoud Bridge on the Bur Dubai side. The mother of a local friend of mine makes the little donuts and I simply can't resist them! She brings them around sometimes at breakfast time if we are working from his place and there are never any left when it gets near me!

Alternatively, try the camel Burger at Bastikiya. It may sound hideous, but camel meat is very nutritious and low in fat. Camel steaks are like a dense beef steak and actually very pleasant on the barbie. I can't recommend the camel milk chocolate though! Sorry, it just is wrong and doesn't taste like chocolate at all! Too sweet and full of E's!

In August, see if you can get your hands on some of the Al Dhafra brand dates from Al Ain. These come from the plantations of the late Sheikh Zayed Al Nayhan and when they are half yellow and half brown taste and have the consistency of caramel. Simply yummy but you need a shower afterwards unless you want to do an impersonation of fly paper!

Unfortunately I cannot eat oysters, but a friend who loves them tells me the local ones bought fresh from the fish market at 'oh my god o'clock!' in the morning are absolutely world class. Seafood has always been part of the staple diet here and if you have never tried Kingfish, you are missing out. Locally it is cut into steaks, rolled in ground cumin and then grilled. Simple and delicious!

Dammit, now I am hungry!!!

:D :D :D

Fat Knight

I'm all about food this week :mrgreen: !!
Yeaaa Legaimat are so unresistable hahaha !! You just cant stop your hands from reaching the plate for another piece of that soft ball covered with dates syrup :D

I tried camel mean once during a friend's wedding, it wasn't bad at all. It's common in Al Dhaid and Al Ain =)

Dates are another story, you're talking about the summer season dates surely, you may wanna ask your friend to get you some Lulu (it's not that hypermarket XD), it's a type of dates, small circled, thats why we call it "Lulu", which in Arabic means "Pearls".

Locally, we call oysters "douch". And you're totally right, seafood was and still main part of our food ;)
symmetric
BANNED

I tried Harissa only once. It was Al Boom during Ramadan many years ago. Sorry, but I can't even let it pass my lips!! The sight of it makes my stomach tighten. Maybe it wasn't made very well, but it put me off to it. We have a very good friend who had an excellent cook and she would send trays of it over during Ramadan. Hubby enjoys it.

I remember when we went to Oman and drove someways to this area in the mountains - there is a little "town" there. We found a restaurant that said "authentic" Omani cusine. Great!!! I think. Let's try it I tell hubby. It turned out to be Indian food and was run by Indians. I know that Indian and Iranian food has been "incorporated" into the "local" cusine, but there was nothing "Omani" about the food.

Im sure that I have tried some of the dishes you posted, but I certainly would not know them by name. Fava beans: I make an awesome foul (mashed) - no oil or ghee used!!! It's one of the few dishes that I enjoy eating after making it. Generally I don't have an appetite to "enjoy" what I cook, but this is one dish that I do enjoy.

Come to think of it, I don't recall there being a restaurant that serves authentic Emirati food (not counting Al Boom). It seems it can only be found in the homes of Emiratis!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

hey sym whats up with you and food man :P

my fav dish has to be biryaani with fried chicken in the middle :D

any chicks here ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:my fav dish has to be biryaani with fried chicken in the middle :D

Malbari !
desertdudeshj

Sym you forgot include Uzi/Guzi the meat that is cooked in closed ovens usually overnight and sometimes for days and usually the ovens are just under ground pits. And later served with Rice.

The meat is so smoot it melts in your mouth !

And the Sweet Dish Umm Ali ( But thats mostly Egyptian isnt it ? )
desertdudeshj

Bora Bora wrote:I tried Harissa only once. It was Al Boom during Ramadan many years ago. Sorry, but I can't even let it pass my lips!! The sight of it makes my stomach tighten. Maybe it wasn't made very well, but it put me off to it. We have a very good friend who had an excellent cook and she would send trays of it over during Ramadan. Hubby enjoys it.

Im sure that I have tried some of the dishes you posted, but I certainly would not know them by name. Fava beans: I make an awesome foul (mashed) - no oil or ghee used!!! It's one of the few dishes that I enjoy eating after making it. Generally I don't have an appetite to "enjoy" what I cook, but this is one dish that I do enjoy.

Come to think of it, I don't recall there being a restaurant that serves authentic Emirati food (not counting Al Boom). It seems it can only be found in the homes of Emiratis!!!

I only eat Harees when it's freshly cooked, specially on the first day of Eid Fetr :D

Foul and Taamiya !! BEST EGYPTION food to me!! I like to cover the foul with lots & lots of olive oil, and topped with chopped onions, tomatoes, and some parsley =D

When I used to volunteer in Shaikh Moh'd Cultural Centre, I always get the same question from the guests "Where can we find an Emirati restautrant?" .. And then I keep on thinking, shall I start the business? :mrgreen:
symmetric
BANNED

rudeboy wrote:hey sym whats up with you and food man :P

any chicks here ;)

I love food !! :laughing6:
It's FOOD WEEK Rudeboy hahaha, I bet you had Biryani for lunch today :mrgreen:
symmetric
BANNED

desertdudeshj wrote:Sym you forgot include Uzi/Guzi the meat that is cooked in closed ovens usually overnight and sometimes for days and usually the ovens are just under ground pits. And later served with Rice.

The meat is so smoot it melts in your mouth !

And the Sweet Dish Umm Ali ( But thats mostly Egyptian isnt it ? )

Best part of the Guzi is when they freshly get it out of that closed oven, they quickly cover it with Rigag bread which then melts with meat and that combination is just unresistable :mrgreen:

Yea, Um Ali is totally Egyption ;)
symmetric
BANNED

Bora Bora, what's up with the -no oil, no ghee :D ?? LOL
symmetric
BANNED

symmetric wrote:

any chicks here ;)

Had it for lunch?? Are you kidding?? He reeks of it. He tells everyone he is wearing Briyani Eau de Cologne. :mrgreen:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

symmetric wrote:Bora Bora, what's up with the -no oil, no ghee :D ?? LOL

Use it only when absolutely necessary. :lol: :lol: :lol: Avoid deep fried foods also.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Let me share this funny story with you all ..

My maternal grandma is very traditional, and she's all about local traditions, she's in her 60's now and she always wears the full grandma customs (the old style Abaya with local thin Burka) wherever she goes, be it in Dubai, Europe, Malaysia, she'd never change her customs or traditions. She'll just fit herself smoothly :mrgreen:

In my brother's wedding night, during the Men's party (which was 1 night prior to the women's party), both my mother and grandma came over the hotel to double check everything is neat, tables, chairs, decoration, food, etc.

My grandma insisted on the wedding organizer to allow her entering the hotel's kitchen, and then he accepted & guided her there. Apparently, she ended up debating the chef regarding the cooking tools and pots and other tools :mrgreen: , and the English kinda language she used to communicate with the chef was not really English either, but she made her points clear hahahaha :lol:

Anyways, they all left and it was time for guests to arrive, and when we were almost done with dinner, I recieved a call from my grandma and this is how it went ..

Sym: "Hi grandma"
Grandma: "Hello darling, are the guest done yet with dinner?"
Sym: "Almost".
Grandma: "Ok, please come to the kitchen quickly"
Sym: "What kitchen? It's already 10 AM, & I still need to take care of the guests, I wont make it to your home untill 1 AM".
Grandma: "I'm not home darling, I'm in the hotel's kitchen, yalla come fast"
Sym: "What!?" :shock:

I went to the kitchen, and I couldn't believe my eyes!!
I saw my grandma, with her close friend (another local grandma haha), cooking Legaimat!!!!

I told her "WHAT ARE U DOING GRANDMA?"

She replied "The chef is useless, I didn't like his legaimat, my cat won't eat it! I refused to let him serve his stuff, so I went back home, gathered my cooking tools, and asked for some space to cook the guests proper Legaimat". 8)

She even refused to use any tools from the hotel's kitchen, not even the gas! She got her own mini gas cylinder which she uses for picnics hahahaha :mrgreen:
symmetric
BANNED

Bora Bora wrote:
symmetric wrote:

any chicks here ;)

Had it for lunch?? Are you kidding?? He reeks of it. He tells everyone he is wearing Briyani Eau de Cologne. :mrgreen:

I reek of Chelo Kabab! I had that for lunch at my grandma's for friday's family gathering :mrgreen:

I always wanted to try Biryani home-cooked by a traditional Indian grandma :D
Who will volunteer ;)
symmetric
BANNED

chelooo kebab :D yum ;) man best cheloo kebabs are in Satwa next to this paki restaurant. Best is when they serve with the white rice and daal. hmmm

no biryani for me this afternoon :( however had bbq on my balcony aah nice weather ;)

as for the biryani, no grandma here i think you ought to get in touch with mama bear ;) since she knows about Briyani Eau de Cologne I am sure she is an expert when it comes to biryani ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Man I'm worried about my plants with this weather outside :shock:

What shall I have for dinner tonight :D ? Frog soup? :mrgreen:
symmetric
BANNED

Symmetric: Is your Grandma Umm Khammas?

Hahahahaha!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:Symmetric: Is your Grandma Umm Khammas?

Hahahahaha!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Hahahaha thats what we call her to tease her :mrgreen:
She's so loving & caring :) God bless all your parents & grandparents ;)
symmetric
BANNED

Ohhhh that looks good dude, thanks for posting. I'm hungry now.

LOL I love Freej - such a great little show.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

symmetric wrote:Let me share this funny story with you all ..

My maternal grandma is very traditional, and she's all about local traditions, she's in her 60's now and she always wears the full grandma customs (the old style Abaya with local thin Burka) wherever she goes, be it in Dubai, Europe, Malaysia, she'd never change her customs or traditions. She'll just fit herself smoothly :mrgreen:

In my brother's wedding night, during the Men's party (which was 1 night prior to the women's party), both my mother and grandma came over the hotel to double check everything is neat, tables, chairs, decoration, food, etc.

My grandma insisted on the wedding organizer to allow her entering the hotel's kitchen, and then he accepted & guided her there. Apparently, she ended up debating the chef regarding the cooking tools and pots and other tools :mrgreen: , and the English kinda language she used to communicate with the chef was not really English either, but she made her points clear hahahaha :lol:

Anyways, they all left and it was time for guests to arrive, and when we were almost done with dinner, I recieved a call from my grandma and this is how it went ..

Sym: "Hi grandma"
Grandma: "Hello darling, are the guest done yet with dinner?"
Sym: "Almost".
Grandma: "Ok, please come to the kitchen quickly"
Sym: "What kitchen? It's already 10 AM, & I still need to take care of the guests, I wont make it to your home untill 1 AM".
Grandma: "I'm not home darling, I'm in the hotel's kitchen, yalla come fast"
Sym: "What!?" :shock:

I went to the kitchen, and I couldn't believe my eyes!!
I saw my grandma, with her close friend (another local grandma haha), cooking Legaimat!!!!

I told her "WHAT ARE U DOING GRANDMA?"

She replied "The chef is useless, I didn't like his legaimat, my cat won't eat it! I refused to let him serve his stuff, so I went back home, gathered my cooking tools, and asked for some space to cook the guests proper Legaimat". 8)

She even refused to use any tools from the hotel's kitchen, not even the gas! She got her own mini gas cylinder which she uses for picnics hahahaha :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Absolutely wonderful story. Classic :mrgreen:

Lucky she didn't meet a Chef that was proud of his kitchen! :P
RobbyG

Chocoholic wrote:Ohhhh that looks good dude, thanks for posting. I'm hungry now.

LOL I love Freej - such a great little show.

Of course you do, it's a cartoon.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Emirati Cuisine Apr 17, 2010
RobbyG wrote: :mrgreen: Absolutely wonderful story. Classic :mrgreen:

Lucky she didn't meet a Chef that was proud of his kitchen! :P

You should've seen the look at the Chef's face!! Hahahaha :mrgreen:
She told him "Come to my kitchen, and I will show you what a real kitchen looks like" :laughing6:

So you ever had Biryani Robby :D ??
symmetric
BANNED

It sounds delicious, but I think I never had it before. Just watched a picture of the dish.

What about the fatties? Should I be worrying about vascular diseases? We Euro's only fry in oil these days to keep the vains from clogging... :P
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:It sounds delicious, but I think I never had it before. Just watched a picture of the dish.

What about the fatties? Should I be worrying about vascular diseases? We Euro's only fry in oil these days to keep the vains from clogging... :P

I recommend you ask RudeBoy for some consultation :mrgreen:
But trust me, it's super delicious ;)
symmetric
BANNED

Nevermind, I'll eat fried food for one day. No consulation with RB necessary. I hope to keep a tight star. :D

Sounds deli mate.
RobbyG

Symmetric, maybe your Grandmother should work as a consultant to make sure the dishes are authentic. As I said before, so many places produce for commercial purposes that they miss the proper methods of cooking and it's missing that certain something.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Symmetric, maybe your Grandmother should work as a consultant to make sure the dishes are authentic. As I said before, so many places produce for commercial purposes that they miss the proper methods of cooking and it's missing that certain something.

She'd volunteer to do that hehe ;)

Btw, I'm also a chocoholic, and I can't stop myself from eating anything with chocolate & sugar!

What's your all time favourite chocolate? :D
symmetric
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat