Emirates Independence Day

Topic locked
Emirates Independence Day Nov 13, 2006
I've notice there has been a post about "thanksgiving" day (whatever and wherever that is).

But nevermind, what will you be doing and what will you be thankful for on Emirates Independence day? December 2nd.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
Funny you should ask, I will be celebrating Emirates Independence Day on an EK flight all the way to the US. :sunny:
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 13, 2006
Ill be in Jordon with my fiance :oops:

celebrating
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
dubai girl wrote:Funny you should ask, I will be celebrating Emirates Independence Day on an EK flight all the way to the US. :sunny:

Call your travel agent. As it is the 35th anniversary of independence (a significant number in Islam) and by decree, Emirates has the option of flying or not flying on that day and; on one wants to piss off the "big" guy.
Just found out myself.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2006
Concord wrote:
dubai girl wrote:Funny you should ask, I will be celebrating Emirates Independence Day on an EK flight all the way to the US. :sunny:

Call your travel agent. As it is the 35th anniversary of independence (a significant number in Islam) and by decree, Emirates has the option of flying or not flying on that day and; on one wants to piss off the "big" guy.
Just found out myself.

OMG, are you serious??????????????????????????? That is not cool!
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 14, 2006
hmm..i guess ill be sleepin...lol... or out with the family *ugh..someone save me!*
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Nov 14, 2006
im not sure....probably go to the desert with some friends....
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2006
Bleakus wrote:im not sure....probably go to the desert with some friends....

my dad goes with his friends every year too .. :? is it a guy thing ??
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Nov 14, 2006
What are the holiday days for independence day December 2 or December 2 and 3?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2006
I will be giving the CFA exam !!
Eros
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 14, 2006
A very special day is that day, day of nationhood for the Emirate.
Mike O'Neill
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 14, 2006
ohh sheesh i miss it , i just love to be in abu dhabi on the 35 th independence day , every year i used to make it a point to decorate my merk with uae flag , me and my friends break the road , we burn the tyres , honk , blink the hazard lights , skid and my friends sit on top of the car and its so much of fun , and this year iam in usa in flagstaff in arizona going to sleep , ohh sheesh i wish i was there dammm :roll: it doesnt happen much in dubai though ,mm if u want the real kick of independence day u need to hit abu dhabi corniche
INtimate
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 14, 2006
d3vilish_ang3l_88 wrote:
Bleakus wrote:im not sure....probably go to the desert with some friends....

my dad goes with his friends every year too .. :? is it a guy thing ??

yeah i guess so
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2006
Hello. Does anyone ^^^^ know the answer to my original question?

Thanks in advance.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2006
Concord- just spoke with travel agent for company and we have concrete flight plans now for Dec 2nd to go back to the states.......

It was difficult to get flights though. Maybe something is going on? Don't know.
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 14, 2006
dubai girl wrote:Concord- just spoke with travel agent for company and we have concrete flight plans now for Dec 2nd to go back to the states.......

It was difficult to get flights though. Maybe something is going on? Don't know.

Maybe US people are taking advantage of the short week (thankgiving) to extend vacation and then returning saturday (2nd) rest sunday and then back on the saddle on Monday.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2006
I'll be working, working, and working... :lol: and still thankful that i am here in the emirates..enjoy your independence holiday guys. :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 15, 2006
Concord wrote:

Just found out myself.

Concord what the hell are you talkin about ? :shock: and also this is the first time i hear 35 has a signficance in Islam.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 15, 2006
Do you seriously think an International Airline the size of Emirates would seriously think of closing down for this 1 day?

35 a significant number, why?

Problem, 2nd Dec Saturday, this means it will be absorbed into the weekend.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 15, 2006
December 2nd is the UAE National Day not Indepenance Day. On the 2nd of December 1971 6 UAE Emirates signed the accords to form the United Arab Emirates.. RAK followed in 72. It was decided to take two days off for that and thats why its Dec 2 and 3 every year.

hope this cleared it up and answered your Qs Concord.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 15, 2006
MaaaD wrote:December 2nd is the UAE National Day not Indepenance Day. On the 2nd of December 1971 6 UAE Emirates signed the accords to form the United Arab Emirates.. RAK followed in 72. It was decided to take two days off for that and thats why its Dec 2 and 3 every year.

hope this cleared it up and answered your Qs Concord.

Private sector normally only gets one day though!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

CFA Nov 16, 2006
Eros wrote:I will be giving the CFA exam !!

Ok-im really interested in taking the exam too.... don't know where to start though....
Basel II
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Nov 16, 2006
MaaaD wrote:
Concord wrote:

Just found out myself.

Concord what the hell are you talkin about ? :shock: and also this is the first time i hear 35 has a signficance in Islam.

:wink:

Thanks for the info Maad.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat