Dubai Cabbies To Undergo Training After Compaints

Topic locked
Dubai cabbies to undergo training after compaints Jan 03, 2012
I can only say that this is a good thing. While there are some very good and nice taxi drivers about, they are few and far between.

How many complaints? Let's see if this makes any difference.

http://www.7days.ae/article/news/nation ... vers-31957

Also I have to ask the question, if there are 3,500 taxis, how on earth did the RTA manage to divert 4,000 taxis to the Burj Khalifa on NYE?

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dubai Cabbies To Undergo Training After Compaints Jan 03, 2012
Chocoholic ,

LOL, they borrowed 500 from Sharjah.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

All and all, Dubai taxi drivers are of a higher standard than taxi drivers in Amsterdam, I'll give them that.

Totally OT, but it reminds me of this Heathow taxi arranger guy. He could guess everybody's nationality. Well not always, he was about 80-90% right, still amazing. Haven't seen him for a long time though, pension I think.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I've come across some really nice taxi drivers in Dubai.
When we were in Dubai during Ramadan, Beth and her friend got a taxi to Emirates Mall. They were in the queue to get into the mall when the doors of the taxi in front flew open and a man was pushed out. His driver got out and proceeded to batter him up against the taxi.
Of course, never being witness to this sort of violence before (except on Eastenders) Beth was most upset and so was her friend. Their taxi driver was very concerned for them and after reassuring them, tried to break the fight up. He explained to them that the man was refusing to pay his fare. I appreciated his concern for my daughter.

I find a lot of the taxi drivers are quite keen to know which country you are from, I've had some quite good banter with a few of them.
I can't say I've had many complaints about them. If they are going too fast I just tell them to slow down.

There're not as cheeky as the Glaswegian taxi drivers! I lost my purse in Glasgow, I'm sure I was pickpocketed, and I asked the driver to take me to the ATM so I could get some dosh to pay the fare.
He offered to let me off with the fare in return for some mature lovin'.

It was the mature bit that offended me.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sage - Choco already knew that.
interpretivist
BANNED

Re: Dubai Cabbies To Undergo Training After Compaints Jan 04, 2012
interpretivist ,

Thanks
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion , Actually no I didn't so thanks for the info. I think the real easy solution is to actually pay these guys a decent amount and not make them work 14 hour shifts on comission to earn a pittance. No wonder the service is shoddy, they want to cram as many jobs for as much money as they can. Many of the drivers are really nice guys, with very interesting stories to tell.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Is it me, or is every cab driver in dubai from the tribal area between pakistan and afghanistan?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oo sounds like a trick is being missed there. Maybe I should become the 1st lady taxi driver, driving considerately, curtiously in a bright pink London Cab!:-) the driving standard really would be a novality:-)
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

Actually some years ago "Ladies Only" taxis were put on the road operating between 6AM and 10PM. They were given pink taxis. It was meant for Muslim ladies who didn't want to get a taxi with a male driver. I don't know if it still exists seeing as how the majority of Muslim ladies don't need a taxi as they either drive themselves or have male drivers working for them.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Actually some years ago "Ladies Only" taxis were put on the road operating between 6AM and 10PM
I got one of those taxis a while ago from one of the malls. Can't remember which one. I can remember she was totally covered up including white gloves.

--- Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:37 pm ---

Flying Dutchman wrote:Is it me, or is every cab driver in dubai from the tribal area between pakistan and afghanistan?

There are some from India and I've spoken to a few from Syria. But I would say the majority are from Pakistan. Their little faces light up if you mention the Swat Valley.

--- Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:44 pm ---

Chocoholic wrote: I think the real easy solution is to actually pay these guys a decent amount and not make them work 14 hour shifts on comission to earn a pittance. No wonder the service is shoddy, they want to cram as many jobs for as much money as they can. Many of the drivers are really nice guys, with very interesting stories to tell.

You could be talking about anyone working in a service industry anywhere in the world.

Taxi drivers in the UK (not the London cabbies, who I believe mostly own and drive their own black cabs) earn a meagre amount and have to work all hours to make ends meet.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Dubai Cabbies To Undergo Training After Compaints Jan 05, 2012
Sandstormlady , LOL there are lady taxi drivers, they drive the 'ladies only' cabs which have pink roofs to the cars. Some of them aren't much better in the driving/customer service area either.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dubai Cabbies To Undergo Training After Compaints Jan 06, 2012
Regardless of anything else, training can do no harm and should be encouraged.
fred2265
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Dubai Cabbies To Undergo Training After Compaints Jan 06, 2012
interpretivist ,

??????????????????????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat