UK Drivers License

Topic locked
Nov 16, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
Concord wrote:Sorry about last post but see above my avatar. Privileges. privileges...

Mine is the ability to play guitar in my sleep!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Waking up is the problem - for me anyway 8)

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 16, 2006
asc_26 wrote:
redmatrice wrote:you've forget to say how much does it cost and how much time does it takes

Expensive! You need to undergo driving lessons then take the test. As for the time - it depends on you. If you failed the test, you have to undergo another driving test until you pass, then that's the time they'll issue your driving license.

This driving thing drained my pocket and i failed the test. :D

I've my moroccan driving license for about 5 years now , all this 5 years i've been driving everyday , so if i failed the test , i'll kill my self
redmatrice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 16, 2006
redmatrice wrote:
asc_26 wrote:
redmatrice wrote:you've forget to say how much does it cost and how much time does it takes

Expensive! You need to undergo driving lessons then take the test. As for the time - it depends on you. If you failed the test, you have to undergo another driving test until you pass, then that's the time they'll issue your driving license.

I've my moroccan driving license for about 5 years now , all this 5 years i've been driving everyday , so if i failed the test , i'll kill my self

That's suicide. :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 16, 2006
redmatrice wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

Can I have your stuff when you do?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 16, 2006
redmatrice wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

Do they have cars in Morocco
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 16, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Do they have cars in Morocco

No , only dromedary , and what if i tell i see usually Bugati Veyron , Maserati , The New CL 500 , Bentley , Hummer , Lamberguini etc ... all the you can see in dubai :)
redmatrice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 16, 2006
Concord wrote:Can I have your stuff when you do?

Sure!! :)
redmatrice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 16, 2006
redmatrice wrote:

No , only dromedary , and what if i tell i see usually Bugati Veyron , Maserati , The New CL 500 , Bentley , Hummer , Lamberguini etc ... all the you can see in dubai :)

I read the same magazine :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 16, 2006
redmatrice wrote:

Those are some funny camel names!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 16, 2006
redmatrice wrote:

Does that make you feel special?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 16, 2006
bushra21 wrote:Does that make you feel special?

Special or not it's not the question now , i said that cuz he thought that morocco is sahara
redmatrice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 17, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
redmatrice wrote:

:lol:
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 17, 2006
Legendkiller wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
redmatrice wrote:

:lol:

Hey Red,

Just having fun m8
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 17, 2006
sage i know :)
redmatrice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 19, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:You don't need a new style UK licence, the paper one is still recognised here. I got mine on a rather tatty and disheveled version! They transferred all the categories from my UK one as well...so I can drive motorbikes, trucks and buses and tanks and everything!

Costs 150Dhs. and takes about 1 hour to do at the Central Police Station Traffic Department. Really easy compared to some of the other official places such as Immigration Dept.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Thanks for that mate, appreciate a reply that has something to do with that actual topic.

Cheers.
Moxy1980
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 19, 2006
hey! the first page was filled with responses to your question...

and then people got side tracked
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 19, 2006
bushra21 wrote:hey! the first page was filled with responses to your question...

and then people got side tracked

Thread Hijacking, we are all expert's at it
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 21, 2006
THEY WON'T GIVE ME A LICENSE UNLESS I HAVE THE CARD VERSION FROM BRITIAN!!!!

This is ridiculous! They say I can't use my perfect valid uk paper license until I get a perfectly valid uk card license!
Moxy1980
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 21, 2006
That's so stupid, my boyfriend only had the paper version of his licence from Greece and it was all in Greek and they transfered it, and never even asked for a translation.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 21, 2006
Moxy, here's an idea. Go to the head quarters of the traffic department and ask to speak to the Captain of the traffic police. He is allowed to make a judgement call over whether you can get your licence transfered. You might have to wait around for a few hours to see him, but it might be worth it and save you from the hell that is Dubai's driving schools.

I had an Abu Dhabi visa, but lived in Dubai so obviously wanted a Dubai licence to buy a car in this Emirate, and they told me he had to make the decision on whether to grant it or not.

Whatever you do, don't get angry or aggressive, just be polite and explain the situation and you might get lucky.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 21, 2006
Thanks for the replies. Don't worry I won't get wound up.

Oe of the problems is that I can't get to the traffic office as I don't have a car and have to work. Before you say it I know I could get a taxi but as I say I'm at work most of the time. So I'm having to go through the Human Resources department and they just see things in black and white.
Moxy1980
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 21, 2006
Moxy, you will have to take a half day off work or something, because you will never get this stuff sorted unless you go and do it yourself.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 21, 2006
Can't your Company's PRO sorted it out for you as a "favor"? They should know the ways, etc.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 21, 2006
Moxy, are you a UK citizen? I think you might have trouble converting a licence from a country you're not a citizen of.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 21, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Moxy, are you a UK citizen? I think you might have trouble converting a licence from a country you're not a citizen of.

I'll explain again.

I am a UK citizen.
I have a full UK license, in the old style 'paper' format.
I have just moved to the UAE.
I have received a residency visa.
I want a drivers license.
I have been told the my UK license that is perfectly valid in the UK, is not valid here, unless I get the new 'card' type.
I have asked the UK for a card type but they say they won't give me a 'card' type as i am now a resident of the UAE.

End result. Screwed for NO reason!
Moxy1980
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 21, 2006
you should have kept your gob shut at DVLA and sent them a chage of address to a relative's home, and the new licence would have been issued.

Also i disagree that DVLA would refuse for your reasons of residency. You are a UK passport holder and the residency is only a stamp in your passort. It does not affect your UK citizenship in any way.

I suggest you apply again to DVLA and use a family member or friend address as a change of address and issue of a new photocard licence.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 21, 2006
arniegang wrote:you should have kept your gob shut at DVLA and sent them a chage of address to a relative's home, and the new licence would have been issued.

Also i disagree that DVLA would refuse for your reasons of residency. You are a UK passport holder and the residency is only a stamp in your passort. It does not affect your UK citizenship in any way.

I suggest you apply again to DVLA and use a family member or friend address as a change of address and issue of a new photocard licence.

Yep, thats wat I'm going to try. It will take about a week or more to get the forms, a day or two tot send them back, a week for them DVLA to get, 6 weekes to process, couple of days to send to parents, then a week to send over here. Absolutely ridiculous.
Moxy1980
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 21, 2006
Moxy1980 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Moxy, are you a UK citizen? I think you might have trouble converting a licence from a country you're not a citizen of.

I'll explain again.

I am a UK citizen.
I have a full UK license, in the old style 'paper' format.
I have just moved to the UAE.
I have received a residency visa.
I want a drivers license.
I have been told the my UK license that is perfectly valid in the UK, is not valid here, unless I get the new 'card' type.
I have asked the UK for a card type but they say they won't give me a 'card' type as i am now a resident of the UAE.

End result. Screwed for NO reason!

As others have mentioned, if you go directly to the traffic department, one of those guys might reject it again, but then you go another day and another guy at another counter might accept it. Hit-and-miss game, this.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 21, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Moxy, here's an idea. Go to the head quarters of the traffic department and ask to speak to the Captain of the traffic police. He is allowed to make a judgement call over whether you can get your licence transfered. You might have to wait around for a few hours to see him, but it might be worth it and save you from the hell that is Dubai's driving schools.

I had an Abu Dhabi visa, but lived in Dubai so obviously wanted a Dubai licence to buy a car in this Emirate, and they told me he had to make the decision on whether to grant it or not.

Whatever you do, don't get angry or aggressive, just be polite and explain the situation and you might get lucky.

This is the correct thing to do. Go and ask to se a senior officer and ask kindly.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 21, 2006
Does anyone know the open hours of the Traffic police offices?
Moxy1980
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat