DEWA BILLS

Topic locked
DEWA BILLS Oct 28, 2009
Has anybody had a massive hike in their DEWA bills?

Recently got one of the re-designed, bills to find a 3 fold increase! absolutely scandalous!!!

Facebook protest page: My DEWA bill increased in September 09 by a crazy amount for no reason!

smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: DEWA BILLS Oct 28, 2009
smoggie wrote:Has anybody had a massive hike in their DEWA bills?

Recently got one of the re-designed, bills to find a 3 fold increase! absolutely scandalous!!!

Facebook protest page: My DEWA bill increased in September 09 by a crazy amount for no reason!

This recently happened to me, I checked the Electricity Meter and found that they had made an error in their favour of around AED1500.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 28, 2009
sage how do you go about doin that if i'm in an apt bldg? my bill has doubled from july/august till now and the AC use has gone down recently.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 28, 2009
i still got billed (received the email & checked online) for an apartment that has been left since two months ago (dewa disconnected). for housing fee + few water consumption. called the call centre and he said i can ignore it as it may take time. two months it's not enough?!

btw, you can ask the watchman of your building. every unit has it's own meter located in an electrical room of the building.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 28, 2009
Looks like we are being hoodwinked again!
it could only happen in dubai!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 28, 2009
Ummmm. Let's see now. DEWA is overwhelmed with disconnections due to the large number of vacanies. In turn, double bill those who are still here to make up for the loss, of course, hoping that no one would notice.

Yeah, that's the plan.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 28, 2009
spot on. You know this place too well and seem to almost enjoy it's annoying nuances. From the looks of it, I bet you have more wasta than the average forum joe. Heck, I wouldn't complaint if I had wasta. It's a good thing in the arab emirates.

Etisalat on spy ware
DEWA on governance and transparency
Property Developers practicing fraud

the list just goes on and on
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Oct 28, 2009
godsent wrote:spot on. You know this place too well and seem to almost enjoy it's annoying nuances. From the looks of it, I bet you have more wasta than the average forum joe. Heck, I wouldn't complaint if I had wasta. It's a good thing in the arab emirates.

Etisalat on spy ware

Haha indeed.

But don't you think about defaulting on a single payment!... they come back at you triple as hard and you'll lose everything in the process, while in jail...

Can someone tell me if there are any basic human civil rights in Dubai? :lol:

Or does that costs another multiple salaries to get some of that.

Carry on 8)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 28, 2009
Hmmmm checked my DEWA bill today to find it bizarrely in credit! I'm sure they'll wollop me sooner or later to make up for that one.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 28, 2009
Mine (Sept '09) is OK!

No housing fee, just the consumption fee, plus the water and sewerage fees.

The strange thing is that I still get charged a consumption fee (albeit small) even when I'm away for that month!

I called, but could not get a convincing explanation for it!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 29, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Hmmmm checked my DEWA bill today to find it bizarrely in credit! I'm sure they'll wollop me sooner or later to make up for that one.

there's a possibility maybe when the dewa staff came to the building to check the meters no one (watchmen/owner) was there, so they make presumption based on average of last months' consumption. it will then be adjusted later when they noted on the meters. this is common in some countries.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 29, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:Mine (Sept '09) is OK!
The strange thing is that I still get charged a consumption fee (albeit small) even when I'm away for that month!
8) 8)

did you shut down the main switch on the switch panel?
if not, probably from your refrigerator? or even keeping TV/home theatre on stand by mode consumes a little energy.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 29, 2009
godsent wrote:spot on. You know this place too well and seem to almost enjoy it's annoying nuances. From the looks of it, I bet you have more wasta than the average forum joe. Heck, I wouldn't complaint if I had wasta. It's a good thing in the arab emirates.

Etisalat on spy ware

I have learned to live with the "annoying nuances", as you put it, that occur. I don't take pleasure in many of the way things are done in Dubai, nor do I get negatively emotional about them since I have no control over them nor can I change the way certain things are done, so I have learned to become indifferent to said things. There are occasions that I will show mild annoyance out of frustration.

As to you saying that I have "more wasta", that is quite an assumption you are making. What did you base that on?

For those who know me, they know that I was being sarcastic. I guess I should have added:

so there was no mistaking my delivery.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 29, 2009
Obviously none of you have had to deal with SEWA. DEWA compared to them is like light cool breeze comming from heaven itself !

Plus I pay half of what I was paying in SHJ and probally 1/4th now since I heard SEWA is doubling the unit rate, but only for expats, mind you since we are the ones with all the money and they poor locals can't afford to pay higher tariffs. They were being charged 5 or 10 fils per unit while the expats were in the 20 fils range.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 29, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Image

so there was no mistaking my delivery.

Goodness me :shock: I've never seen a tiger with lips like that before. What would Mrs Slocombe say :?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 29, 2009
xty wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:Mine (Sept '09) is OK!
8) 8)

did you shut down the main switch on the switch panel?
if not, probably from your refrigerator? or even keeping TV/home theatre on stand by mode consumes a little energy.

Yes I shut down the main circuit breaker before I left, and no one has any spare keys for my place!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat