Christmas In Dubai

Topic locked
Christmas in Dubai Nov 16, 2011
Apparently hundreds of Christmas trees are being flown into Dubai from Canada.

I like Christmas in the UAE, it's got a bit of a weird feel to it as you can sit outside having your crimbo dinner and whatnot.

It's a shame that we get to celebrate the festive season here more, than we could in some of our home countries, because of the nutty PC brigade.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Christmas in Dubai Nov 16, 2011
I will not be spending x-mas in Dubai this year, but I always liked the season in Dubai. First Eid and then x-mas.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Christmas In Dubai Nov 16, 2011
I suppose that there will be the usual DF christmas dinner?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Christmas In Dubai Nov 17, 2011
benwj wrote:I suppose that there will be the usual DF christmas dinner?

DF has never done a Christmas dinner as far as I know. Personally I'd rather spend it with family and friends. I'm usually working all the way through, so doesn't mean that much to me.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Christmas in Dubai Nov 17, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:I like Christmas in the UAE, it's got a bit of a weird feel to it as you can sit outside having your crimbo dinner and whatnot.

It's a shame that we get to celebrate the festive season here more............

Which is it?? you like it or not?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Christmas In Dubai Nov 17, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:
benwj wrote:I suppose that there will be the usual DF christmas dinner?

DF has never done a Christmas dinner as far as I know. Personally I'd rather spend it with family and friends. I'm usually working all the way through, so doesn't mean that much to me.

I don't think ben actually means dinner on the 25th Chocs, which everyone would prefer to spend with their family and friends.

We are having our works Christmas dinner on the 16th this year.

Last year I made an inappropriate suggestion to my manager and felt the need to apologise to him via FB the next day. :oops: He kindly accepted my apology and gave me a pay rise.

However much I love Dubai, Christmas wouldn't be the same without the BBC at 3pm. We all sit round the TV and watch HRH.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bora Bora wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I like Christmas in the UAE, it's got a bit of a weird feel to it as you can sit outside having your crimbo dinner and whatnot.

It's a shame that we get to celebrate the festive season here more............

Which is it?? you like it or not?

Yes I like it, if you read my entire post and don't take the last sentence out of context by lopping off the following text.

I said it's a shame we celebrate here more than we do in our home countries. As a whole I think it's great that the UAE celebrates the majority of festivals from all corners of the globe.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I said it's a shame we celebrate here more than we do in our home countries

Eh? You celebrate Christmas more in Dubai than you do at home?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:

Not ME BM, the PC brigade kinda spoil Christmas in the UK because you can't say certain things, can't have nativities etc etc - it's a joke. One paper did an article on it a few years ago and the headline was 'Ding-Dong Merrily Dubai!' - highlighting the fact that in a Muslim country Christmas is celebrated to the max.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Christmas in Dubai Nov 18, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

Not ME BM, the PC brigade kinda spoil Christmas in the UK because you can't say certain things, can't have nativities etc etc - it's a joke. One paper did an article on it a few years ago and the headline was 'Ding-Dong Merrily Dubai!' - highlighting the fact that in a Muslim country Christmas is celebrated to the max.

Methinks you put too much conviction in the tabloid press Chocs! The only real passion here in the UAE for Christmas, is from the retail and leisure industries, whose sole aim is to part you, from your hard earned cash! The rest is what the residents here make of it themselves in the form of independent social and spiritual gatherings.

can't say certain things, can't have nativities etc etc
??

What on earth are you talking about Chocs, are you suggesting there's more freedom of speech in the UAE than the UK, there are no nativity plays or scene's in the schools or on public display and there's more celebration of the birth of Christ in the UAE than the UK?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Christmas in Dubai Nov 19, 2011
Well seeing as I can only gauge what goes on the the UK by the press, what am I supposed to think? Although many friends living there say it's got too much.

So ok then are you allowed nativities and christmas carolers etc in stores and whatnot in the UK? Can you still say Merry christmas on greetings cards or has that changed? Just askimng, don't spit the dummy.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Christmas will be spent in Ghana this year, looking forward to it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Chocoholic wrote:Well seeing as I can only gauge what goes on the the UK by the press, what am I supposed to think? Although many friends living there say it's got too much.

So ok then are you allowed nativities and christmas carolers etc in stores and whatnot in the UK? Can you still say Merry christmas on greetings cards or has that changed? Just askimng, don't spit the dummy.

Yes Chocs, we still have Nativity plays in the local junior schools, when the kids dress up as Joseph and Mary and the ginger one gets dressed up as the donkey. We have the village OAP's gathering on the first Tuesday in December and they make their way around the village, all snuggled up in their best hats and scarves singing carols and collecting for Feed The world. (Thank God I live in the middle of nowhere and their zimmer frames wouldn't make it down my lane.)
And yes, there is a nice variety of Christmas cards available in the shops, all proclaiming that it will be the Merriest Christmas ever!
Personally I buy my cards from the Tourist Information Office, they are charity cards in support of SSAFA.
The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) do wonderful things for our ex Forces people and I'd rather a few pence of my money went to them than WH Smiths.

Oh and I nearly forgot! I'm on the look out for Barley wine to put in my Christmas pudding. It seems to be as rare as rocking horse poo this year!
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat