Be Careful What You Write - Fine For FB Insults

Topic locked
Be careful what you write - fine for FB insults Jul 20, 2011
To be honest I'm not sure quite what to make of this. Yes we all know there are fines and penalties for certain insults and whatnot. However, is this not PC gone mad where people can't express their own opinion? On their own pages? Clearly it's a good example of beware who you have as a friend on your FB and what you say to them.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news ... 3-000-fine

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Be Careful What You Write - Fine For FB Insults Jul 20, 2011
Wow, I can't believe someone would actually resort to police action over a FB quarrel! I guess this is a great example of another petty person who likes their revenge served cold. Pathetic.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Be careful what you write - fine for FB insults Jul 20, 2011
It does seem a little bit like the actions of a weak person, who gets easily offended then expects the police to fight their battles for them.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

what would you rather have her do then?
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Police referred EG to prosecutors eight months later on charges of insulting a religious creed.

That charge was dismissed by the prosecutor, Haifa Al Marzooqi, who instead referred her to court on insult charges.

I'm taking that to mean that EG wasn't to be punished for giving the opinion that she doesn't like Ramadan, but rather she's getting into trouble for the other insults she made to MJ?

-- Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:00 pm --

general_A wrote:what would you rather have her do then?

If you don't like someone saying that they dislike Ramadan you can ignore the comment or un-friend them from your FB. If you do want to talk and it ends up a quarrel, then you stop quarreling and then proceed to ignoring them or un-friending them. The Police should not be getting involved in everyone's personal spats.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:

If you don't like someone saying that they dislike Ramadan you can ignore the comment or un-friend them from your FB. If you do want to talk and it ends up a quarrel, then you stop quarreling and then proceed to ignoring them or un-friending them. The Police should not be getting involved in everyone's personal spats.

she was charged for insulting the woman and not for disliking Ramadan

That charge was dismissed by the prosecutor, Haifa Al Marzooqi, who instead referred her to court on insult charges

, insulting someone that way just showed what a dark person she really is.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Be careful what you write - fine for FB insults Jul 20, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:It does seem a little bit like the actions of a weak person, who gets easily offended then expects the police to fight their battles for them.

It wasn't a couple of days ago that you were telling me I was insensitive about Ramadan. I hasten to add that my comments were about a person posting who wasn't a Muslim and was saying that fasting was wrong.
Now you are saying that the Muslim person complaining is weak and is easily offended. Do you just say the first thing that comes into that little head of yours?

If you live and work in Dubai the worst thing you can do is stick your head up and insult anyone in this manner. I would have thought it common sense not to mouth off when people know who you are.
I hope she's learnt her lesson.
Revenge, a dish best served cold. I like that. :D
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

It does seem like a whole waste of police time, money and effort. However, we do know that there are many who are overly sensitive when it comes to these things. It's not like she broadcasted it publicly, it was a personal spat and should have been left at that.

Yes, I agree what she said was wrong. But for someone to call the police because they are 'personally' insulted is a bit ridiculous.

As K says, if you don't like what someone says, then simply unfriend and block them.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

you can always "express your opinion " in a polite way... not for police matters but for your won manners .
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:you can always "express your opinion " in a polite way... not for police matters but for your won manners .

True Kid, very true. Plus you know the person that was offended could have taken another tack and asked, why she doesn't like Ramadan and actually engaged in an intelligent discussion about it.

The whole thing just seems silly.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Be Careful What You Write - Fine For FB Insults Jul 21, 2011
Exactly, MJ could have simply messaged EG and stated that her FB status could be viewed as offensive by her Muslims friends and just left it at that. What more is there to gain beyond informing her that it came across as insensitive? She could have hoped that her friend would remove the FB status, and if she didn't, then she has the option to un-friend her.

Basically, with ridiculous laws like this, people can trap others into making insults in order to get them charged and fined. Sounds great for emotionally unintelligent and vindictive people. If this trend continues, perhaps they will make a new courthouse called "The Court for Insults". Hey, it will be a great initiative for employing more Emiratis.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Exactly, MJ could have simply messaged EG and stated that her FB status could be viewed as offensive by her Muslims friends and just left it at that. What more is there to gain beyond informing her that it came across as insensitive? She could have hoped that her friend would remove the FB status, and if she didn't, then she has the option to un-friend her.

Basically, with ridiculous laws like this, people can trap others into making insults in order to get them charged and fined. Sounds great for emotionally unintelligent and vindictive people. If this trend continues, perhaps they will make a new courthouse called "The Court for Insults". Hey, it will be a great initiative for employing more Emiratis.

There speaks the person who works in the background of DF by sending PMs to get people banned, because she doesn't like what they post.
Bethsmum

Ouch, very ouch!!
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Be careful what you write - fine for FB insults Jul 21, 2011
FB, unlike sites such DF are more likely to generate that kind of action (fines, etc.) because the posters know exactly who the other person is. Don't be surprised when the flood of slander lawsuits starts (it has started but not yet heard widely)...this is because slander is written negative/defaming statement communicated to a third party(ies) (e.g. Post on FB) about someone else. Note that the statement has to be false for it to be slander but therein lies the lawsuit.

Moral...post at your own risk.

Frankly i've read enough threats on this forum to suspect that if the identities where known someone would make a similar report to the authorities...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:
kanelli wrote:Exactly, MJ could have simply messaged EG and stated that her FB status could be viewed as offensive by her Muslims friends and just left it at that. What more is there to gain beyond informing her that it came across as insensitive? She could have hoped that her friend would remove the FB status, and if she didn't, then she has the option to un-friend her.

There speaks the person who works in the background of DF by sending PMs to get people banned, because she doesn't like what they post.

Yes, I've done it 3 times. I wrote admin or mods about muslimbangladeshi who was on here trashing Jews and Westerners on the forum for about a month. In fact someone else initiated that PM campaign, not me, but I was happy to participate because that guy was crapping all over the forum. The second person gave a verbal threat to kill another forumer, which breaks forum rules and it pretty serious in my book, so I fired off a PM to a mod. Then the last time I PMed mods was for BM after she gave a veiled threat to sick her ex Dubai police friend on DDS for supposedly cohabitating out of wedlock. Really, only a petty and vindictive person threatens to harm someone's off-forum life. I give no apologies at all for PMing to get that info taken off the forum and ask for BM to be banned. She was already banned 2 times before that and it had nothing to do with me. So there you go. None of my online activity on this forum caused anyone to be arrested by police, and fined or jailed. Hardly the same as this incident.

I see you still have a burr up your butt about that BM? :lol: Too bad I don't live in Dubai or I can guarantee based on your past conduct that you'd jump at any opportunity to have me arrested and charged for whatever you could to teach me a lesson for messing with you.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:I see you still have a burr up your butt

Burr up your butt ! That really did make me LOL ! :lol:
desertdudeshj

Its a lovely saying from my part of Canada :)

I usually ignore "she who shall not be named", but I'm sick of being painted as a person who constantly PMs admin and mods to get people banned all the time because I don't like what they say. Three people in 6 years is not a lot, especially considering all the different forumers who have come and gone over the years. In any case, it isn't related to police being called and someone going to court and having to pay a fine, its just petty vindictiveness speaking again. I dealt through proper channels on the forum by contacting forum admin and mods for what I thought needed serious attention and I never threatened to harm someone's off-forum life and I never would do such a thing.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

You can rest assured, little Miss High and Mighty, that if i'd have wished any harm to DDS in his life, I wouldn't have broadcast it on an internet forum but had a quiet word with my ex police captain friend who would have worked his charm without DDS knowing what had hit him.
As I didn't but chose to post what I did speaks volumes to anyone with half a brain.
I'd also like to point out that I know full well who your friend Chocs is. She has made slanderous remarks about me, that I'm a hard core alcoholic, a nazi and has said she was going to send all sorts of unsolicited goods to my flat in Dubai, including condoms.
Have i taken an action? No. Could I? Yes.

See you still can't get that foe list to work. Your comment about the burr up my butt was crude, not lovely. There again that's what I've come to expect from you, you are rather coarse and common and that's why you get on so well with DDS. Two of a kind.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:You can rest assured, little Miss High and Mighty, that if i'd have wished any harm to DDS in his life, I wouldn't have broadcast it on an internet forum but had a quiet word with my ex police captain friend who would have worked his charm without DDS knowing what had hit him.

As DK very aptly out it, you indeed are very naive windbag !

Still under the impression that you're something here in Dubai, eh ? Just because you know one ex copper, has DF taught you nothing ? Consider this I've been living here for over three decades, know the language, know the system you don't think I'd know anybody right ? ;)

A 13 yr old kid living in Karama has more influence in this country than you. LOL But I got better things to do than be a vengefull little moron like the person in the OP or you by wasting my time making threats or calling the coppers.
desertdudeshj

I see BM. Obtaining info on DDS from another forumer via PM or email and using it publicly on the forum and giving a veiled threat to harm him was so much more ethical of you than actually carrying out the threat! We should be giving you a round of applause!

Somehow I think if I met you after a few of your chardonnays I'd be seeing the coarse side of you too! "Common" is supposed to be a slight against me, but we Canadians don't pay much attention to that hoity toity British class nonsense. Since so many of your posts have given away that you are likely what is referred to in the UK as a Chav, I don't think you are fit to be throwing around class insults.

And now the time has come for me to once again banish you behind the curtain that is my foe list. But BM, you can always wait in anticipation to see if you can one day soon bask in the glow of my attention - since you seem to live for it on this forum. Good-bye for now darling!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oh heck are we back to this again? News flash BM EX-copper! Has zero power nor influence. I spoke to my friend who actually IS an active copper, he pissed himself laughing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

kanelli wrote:I see BM. Obtaining info on DDS from another forumer via PM or email and using it publicly on the forum and giving a veiled threat to harm him was so much more ethical of you than actually carrying out the threat! We should be giving you a round of applause!

LOL ! Excellent point, instead of punishing people for what they have done wrong we should be rewarding people for what they haven't. Makes perfects sense, in BM's cheap wine soaked world ! LOOL

I think I should be rewarded a million dollar for the billion I didn't steal ! :D
desertdudeshj

Yes it appears we are Chocs, two drama queens and their lapdog ganging up on BM again!

Don't you three children have anything better to do?
Dillon

Dillon, you are one of the bullies who comes around to support BM in attacking me so you should look at your own conduct if you want to talk about ganging up.

Go back and read the thread and you will see that all of this started with BM shooting her mouth off. If you don't like it, talk to your precious BM. Wait, I'll make it easy for you!

Bethsmum wrote:

And I simply could have answered, "There speaks the person who works in the background of DF by using PMs or email with another forumer to receive info on DDS, then uses the info publicly on the forum while giving a veiled threat to report DDS to police for illegal cohabitation because she didn't like what he posted about her on the forum."

Hmm, should BM be glad she shot her mouth off again?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I tell you what Kanelli, put me on your precious foe list as well will you? then you won't have to feel bullied by me again.
Dillon

Whatever Dillon, you're a major pot stirrer as it is. My point that BM keeps failing to see, if that she really knows no one and there is always going to be someone who trumps her - end of.

Bank ON topic: These kind of stories do get a bit tedious, it's all complete hearsay. The event happened last September, no complaint was made till May this year - legally it should even have gone to court, you have to file within 3 months.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

And as always the back up comes to the rescue, right on cue :D

Admiral Benson: I slipped on a crab. Who put that crab there?
Lt. Commander Block: I don't see any crab, sir.
Admiral Benson: Don't tell me. There were two crabs. They work in pairs. I went to Annapolis for chrissakes!
desertdudeshj

Chocoholic wrote:Whatever Dillon, you're a major pot stirrer as it is. My point that BM keeps failing to see, if that she really knows no one and there is always going to be someone who trumps her - end of.

Bank ON topic: These kind of stories do get a bit tedious, it's all complete hearsay. The event happened last September, no complaint was made till May this year - legally it should even have gone to court, you have to file within 3 months.

And the same goes for you, I couldn’t be less interested in your petty one-upmanship and playground arguments, grow up and start acting the mature individual you claim to be.

-- Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:27 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote:And as always the back up comes to the rescue, right on cue :D

Admiral Benson: I slipped on a crab. Who put that crab there?
Lt. Commander Block: I don't see any crab, sir.
Admiral Benson: Don't tell me. There were two crabs. They work in pairs. I went to Annapolis for chrissakes!

Ooh how very original DDS :roll:
Dillon

Dillon wrote:I tell you what Kanelli, put me on your precious foe list as well will you? then you won't have to feel bullied by me again.

You are on my foe list and I do ignore you most of the time. I just wanted to see if you'd get back to your old tricks and sure enough, you were!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Ooh aren't YOU the clever one!
Dillon

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat