Calls For Increasing Local Birth Rates By FNC

Topic locked
Calls for increasing local birth rates by FNC Jan 26, 2011
"Emiratis should make up to 80 per cent of the population within 20 to 25 years, a matter which requires a political decision," Dr Al Shahin said.
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/gover ... 1-1.752083

No where in the article is any practical method of doing this discussed.

I suggest free fertility drugs to be distributed to all local clinics, probability of multiple births will almost double.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_fertility-d ... en_4091.bc

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Calls for increasing local birth rates by FNC Jan 26, 2011
Maybe they will lower the marriage age to 11, insist that every local man must have a minimum of 3 local wives and pump them full of fertility drugs?

In which case they will have to hand out free mini buses at the shopping festival instead of Nissan Patrols!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Calls For Increasing Local Birth Rates By FNC Jan 26, 2011
:lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Calls for increasing local birth rates by FNC Jan 27, 2011
:lol: already half of Emirati's marry their cousins, they want to increase births? may be they should marry sisters, daughters and mothers, and in 25 years the 80% of the population will have an IQ under 10
capsicum
BANNED

Re: Calls for increasing local birth rates by FNC Jan 27, 2011
Reminds me of I had a dream speech by Martin Luther King. Only difference is that became reality, this I don't see happening. Less than a million in a population of anywhere up to 7 million.

Specially with expensive costs of marriages, education, traveling and broadening up of someminds. More and more are marrying non emaratis and ofcourse the spouse never gets nationality or simpley doesn't want it. Many are marrying late and many don't want to have huge families like the days of past, specially now since the free ride could also be comming to an end.

The only two posible ways I can see for the Emaratis to become a majority in thier own country and I do sympathise with the notion of being a minority in your own country. Is either to send back most of the expats and with the recent articles it seems like their biggest concern about this is that most are unskilled workers would be to send them back and only keep the top brains, but the flaw with that is. Other countries immigration policies towards skilled workers is that they have a lack of human power in skilled power and most of the "unskilled" work is taken up by the local population. Here there is a severe lack of human resources across the band.

If your just going to keep the skilled workforce. Who does the nitty gritty that keeps the wheels of a country rolling. You can't have all bussiness execs andtop managers with no one to actually do the grass root level work. So thats a flawed notion and cannot work.

Other would be the very controversial one, make more Emaratis from the current stock of population. Even with very rough estimates I guess you have at the very least around a million or million and half people ready to be "emaritized" by giving them nationality. The overnight doubles your population, but ofcourse with the mindset of "there are only here to sponge and steal all our oil and money" that will never happen.

Its simply wishing on a star and pie in the sky that suddenly in soiciety where jobs are becomming harder to come by and inflation is creeping up by the day without an equal adjustment in income that the locals will start to procreate like rabbits overnight.

Unless there are some real finacial incentives involved and all the Emirates with the exception of Abu Dhabi is in down in the finacial doldrums. So unless the Abu Dhabi pumps huge amount of money into its people it will not happen and even then there is going to be a huge setback.

We can see it currently aswell, when everything is paid for why get educated, strive or struggle to make it big. There are some very ambitious Emaratis out there who have gotten educated in red brick Uni's abroad and put in avery hard days work but unfortunately there are the exception and not the norm.

I guess its human nature and you really can't blame it on the Emaratis. When the great leaders of the nation like the late Shk Zayed and Shk Rashid made such systems where they made sure each and every citizen of their country would never have to see a day like had seen when they were growing up in the deserts and before the oil boom. But down the line this back fired. I mean even in the west with social benefits system, free education and what not many are just happy to live off the dole, why work, strive or struggle, when you can get a free check at the end of each week.

Now turn that into free( good ) housing, health care etc etc for each and every citizen and your problem grows expotentially. To me its more a battle of hearts and minds from all angles than anything else.

Create the desire to grow, educate and do well, all the while accepting into the fold more "citizens" wean the population of the dole and the mentalitly I'm too good to be putting in a hard days of work at doing something normal or even menial or simply I'll just get someone else to do it for me for peanuts so why bother.
desertdudeshj

Re: Calls For Increasing Local Birth Rates By FNC Jan 27, 2011
DDS, are you taking some english essay writing classes? your posts are toooo long to read recently! ;)
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

I got to thinking the other day at how much effort and money was spent (and wasted) putting Dubai on the map. Why was it necessary to develop/create for the sake of appearance? And in the process ignore the need to educate the Emiratis so that they could step in and take over where they could. Instead, they were educated with a mentality that they didn't need an education to achieve. By virtue of the fact that they were Emirati was enough to "succeed", and fail and the same time. Dubai's reliance on expats was created by the government.

All the thinking and planning ahead did not include the future and education of Emiratis. I agree, the govenment created a "dole" mentality for their citizens. Yes, expats are here taking away jobs from the locals. :roll: Well, if the locals had a solid education they would be working side-by-side with expats and it would reduce the number of expats needed. Expats are probably viewed as an evil necessity, but Emiratis who see it that way fail to see that the necessity was created by the government. Expats: Can't live with them, can't live without them.

Every Emirati that I have met holds an executive level position received higher education outside the UAE. They went to the UK, US and India. There are many Emiratis that have ventured outside the UAE for higher education. Had the government looked at this it would have raised a red flag. A one word question: Why??

So I thought about the cost of building the Burj Kalifa and how that money could have gone towards a better educational system here in the UAE for Emiratis. Was it more important to build the tallest building in the world compared to a better education for the people? Today, many Emirati families are sending their children to expat/international schools for the simple reason they want them to have a better education. I have an Emirati friend who has 4 children enrolled in an international school. The fact is, many Emiratis are opting for smaller families because they can't afford to have a larger family.

-- Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:06 pm --

melika969 wrote:DDS, are you taking some english essay writing classes? your posts are toooo long to read recently! ;)

LOL, I wondered where all the rambling was coming from!!!! I'm waiting to see "to be continued...." at the bottom each post. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

melika969 wrote:DDS, are you taking some english essay writing classes? your posts are toooo long to read recently! ;)

I was thinking somewhere along the same lines Mel but he's certainly not taking English lesons for as his posts are getting longer his composition and spelling is worsening! :?

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nahh, I'm taking a "day off" today from all the red tape struggles and just in the mood to talk today, also maybe might be helpfull to someone fighting the same fight. Like both the double D's in the forum are.

Also went down, fiddled and got under big red after a long time today and discovered the red brute is in need for a little TLC, so maybe saturday I'll get really down and dirty. Its beena while since I wrenched, looking forward to it 8)
desertdudeshj

The only way to sustain the UAE is to give citizenship to those foreigners married to UAE citizens and also grant citizenship to people who have lived their whole lives in the UAE and call it the only home they know. Trying to cling to some 20% pure Emirati gene pool and try to boost that to 80% or 90% is just not going to work.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Bora Bora wrote:I got to thinking the other day at how much effort and money was spent (and wasted) putting Dubai on the map. Why was it necessary to develop/create for the sake of appearance? And in the process ignore the need to educate the Emiratis so that they could step in and take over where they could. Instead, they were educated with a mentality that they didn't need an education to achieve. By virtue of the fact that they were Emirati was enough to "succeed", and fail and the same time. Dubai's reliance on expats was created by the government.

All the thinking and planning ahead did not include the future and education of Emiratis. I agree, the govenment created a "dole" mentality for their citizens. Yes, expats are here taking away jobs from the locals. :roll: Well, if the locals had a solid education they would be working side-by-side with expats and it would reduce the number of expats needed. Expats are probably viewed as an evil necessity, but Emiratis who see it that way fail to see that the necessity was created by the government. Expats: Can't live with them, can't live without them.

Every Emirati that I have met holds an executive level position received higher education outside the UAE. They went to the UK, US and India. There are many Emiratis that have ventured outside the UAE for higher education. Had the government looked at this it would have raised a red flag. A one word question: Why??

So I thought about the cost of building the Burj Kalifa and how that money could have gone towards a better educational system here in the UAE for Emiratis. Was it more important to build the tallest building in the world compared to a better education for the people? Today, many Emirati families are sending their children to expat/international schools for the simple reason they want them to have a better education. I have an Emirati friend who has 4 children enrolled in an international school. The fact is, many Emiratis are opting for smaller families because they can't afford to have a larger family.

-- Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:06 pm --

LOL, I wondered where all the rambling was coming from!!!! I'm waiting to see "to be continued...." at the bottom each post. :lol: :lol:

Why was it necessary to develop/create for the sake of appearance?

Dubai is the 8th visited city in the world ,thats tourism, not a show off, it means $.
The busiest hub in the M.east is not an appearance or a show off, it business, it means $.

the reliance on expats is due to UAE local population Vs available jobs, do some math hon. :mrgreen:and when you are done calculating you will figure out that its 1million Vs 6 million jobs, we "locals" are just not enough .and yes we wont see locals working with expats ,not bcz of the education rate but your salaries are just not to our standers hon. its really a simple observation that you should've knowen figured living here for some time now.

and no ventured out side by them selves hon, they are all on scholarship from the government,since the 80s.and us sending our kids to private schools is just a high stander living style due to higher income and not bcz the private ones are better, I personally think that 90% of them are just a money sucking machines.

p.s.over 90% of UAE locals are educate the rest are just our grandfathers :)
uaekid

^^^^^

And the answer to everyones question, including the FNC. Thats why, and if ever there was a face palm moment, this is it !
desertdudeshj

I would like to see what Sym has to say though, as he seems to be someone much more reasonable and better informed than your average Uaekid.
desertdudeshj

uaekid wrote:Dubai is the 8th visited city in the world ,thats tourism, not a show off, it means $.
The busiest hub in the M.east is not an appearance or a show off, it business, it means $.

the reliance on expats is due to UAE local population Vs available jobs, do some math hon. :mrgreen:and when you are done calculating you will figure out that its 1million Vs 6 million jobs, we "locals" are just not enough .and yes we wont see locals working with expats ,not bcz of the education rate but your salaries are just not to our standers hon. its really a simple observation that you should've knowen figured living here for some time now.

and no ventured out side by them selves hon, they are all on scholarship from the government,since the 80s.and us sending our kids to private schools is just a high stander living style due to higher income and not bcz the private ones are better, I personally think that 90% of them are just a money sucking machines.

p.s.over 90% of UAE locals are educate the rest are just our grandfathers :)

Hi Pinhead. :lol: How have you been???

Where to begin. First, I wasn't being negative in what I had to say, but clearly you took it that way. Better education should have been a priority, not glass and steel. Lessen the need to leave the country in order to get a good solid education. AD is on the right track with the education.

So, since your response had a negative tone, let me respond in kind:

That 90% you refer to being educated: Does that include the 85% that reached grade 8 and stopped?

The government did fund most of those who sought education outside the UAE. Those are the ones who can read, write and speak English as well as have a solid education, apply their knowledge and who actually work - and not necessarily in government. I know some very high level local government officials and executives who completed their PhD.

For many the attitude is: why would you want to work when you can get more money living off the dole or papa?

Higher standard of living? The government provided you with land and/or money to build those houses you live in, and in some cases, the land and house came as a package deal, as well as reduced utilities, otherwise you would still be commuting from grandfather's farm. Obviously being employed (note I did not say working) for the government pays off. For one to think they have a "higher standard living" does not necessarily mean they have any class to speak of.

Do you think that if the Burj Kalifa wasn't built it would make a difference to tourism? Tourism was big before the building went up. One of the properties that put Dubai on the tourist map over 10 years ago was the Burj Al Arab. There are definitely certain developments that are a draw - such as the new racetrack. Absolutely beautiful, enjoyed by residents and tourists.

If the government education has such a high standard - and I'm not sure what standard you are comparing it to, but I'm sure it's safe to say it's not the US, UK, India, Germany, France, (and the like) there would be no need to send local children to international schools. Obviously it is worth all the money you are paying to international schools who are ripping you off to give your child a better education than the one they would receive in a government school. If you think it's such a rip off to send your children to international schools, in other words not getting what you pay for, then as a concerned parent you should pull them and send them to a government school and then they can come out and be fully qualified to work for the government. Isn't that the goal most aspire to?

-- Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:10 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote:I would like to see what Sym has to say though, as he seems to be someone much more reasonable and better informed than your average Uaekid.

Agree, a much more rationale individual.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I don't know whats with the name calling, but I guess that's how you were raised. any way... moving on

1-so you are saying that locals are not working ? where did you get that info from? DFs symptoms I'm guess.
2-where did I say that our schools has a higher standers ?

and you really don't wana get in an argument with me about comparing schools drop outs my dear, please don't. your statements are just an opinion rather than facts.but hey if you just wana amuse DFs, thats a diff story.

I would mind the GOV spending this much money in buildings if they didn't take care of education but they are not, I can't see why you think so!
uaekid

A little personal insight, as some of you might remember or know I have a close friend of western origin who currently works way up high at the best local uni here,. He started off as a professor more than 10 years back in that same institution and now has worked his way up now.

Anywhoo, one of the things he tells me is that all the teachers and professors are constantly complaning about the level of education of their students. Most say they can't even write properly, I thought he was talking about English, he said no not English, Arabic !

According to the profs and teachers the average level of Arabic is comparable to that of 6 or 7th graders back home. Many students are just going through the motion of getting educated and most of the assignments are badly cut and pasted stuff off the internet.

Many badly doing student make it no secret that they are really not intrested and just doing it because of social pressure or to get a piece of paper. And this is the top most red brick local uni here, so you can imagine.

On a postive note most female students are proper students and not just jumping through the hoops or completing formalities.
desertdudeshj

uaekid wrote:I don't know whats with the name calling, but I guess that's how you were raised. any way... moving on

1-so you are saying that locals are not working ? where did you get that info from? DFs symptoms I'm guess.
2-where did I say that our schools has a higher standers ?

and you really don't wana get in an argument with me about comparing schools drop outs my dear, please don't. your statements are just an opinion rather than facts.but hey if you just wana amuse DFs, thats a diff story.

I would mind the GOV spending this much money in buildings if they didn't take care of education but they are not, I can't see why you think so!

Errr, don't you have pins in your head - avatar???

Your post (and all your previous posts) is all the confirmation I need to support what I said. :lol: Thank you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Low Birth Rates + High Morality rates (accident related) = Extinction of the emarati's
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Calls For Increasing Local Birth Rates By FNC Jan 29, 2011
Here is another article about Emaratis and education

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news ... xperts-say
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Here is another article about Emaratis and education

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news ... xperts-say

With so few students, the cost of buying land, building facilities and then running an institute can be as high as US$10m per person per year.

:shock: WHAT?!?!?! Possibly a typo?

His study for Adec found that students needed to be instilled with realistic expectations. “Expectations of how hard they had to work in university and school to secure a good job were lacking,” he said.

They should be taught, too, what it means to be a productive citizen, learning about the skills the UAE economy will need in future decades and how a university education can provide them.

He cautioned against any strategy of subsidising private sector jobs for Emiratis. “This concept undermines capitalism,” he said. “It takes away the responsibility away from individuals to work their way up the ladder, getting training, putting the time in.”

Good article, but possibly the author, an expat, should have consulted our forum expert. :lol: :lol:

The number of students in the mentioned unis are reflective of all nationalities in attendance. Breaking it down, I'm sure the smallest percentage would be Emiratis.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I'm not sure to what standard Emiratis are generally educated but it shouldn't matter anyway.

I have found that it is generally a lack of the work ethic due to having so much handed on a plate.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

smoggie wrote:I'm not sure to what standard Emiratis are generally educated but it shouldn't matter anyway.

I have found that it is generally a lack of the work ethic due to having so much handed on a plate.

So, if you have a good work ethic (would love to know what you definition of that is), no education, that qualifies one to become a Director, CEO, GM???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

"that qualifies one to become a Director, CEO, GM?"

Well I didn't say that but I was trying to point out that a change of attitude is required. In Oman, Bahrain, Egypt etc, locals will do ordinary jobs such as driving a taxi. Does that happen in the UAE?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Calls For Increasing Local Birth Rates By FNC Jan 30, 2011
smoggie wrote:"that qualifies one to become a Director, CEO, GM?"

Well I didn't say that but I was trying to point out that a change of attitude is required. In Oman, Bahrain, Egypt etc, locals will do ordinary jobs such as driving a taxi. Does that happen in the UAE?

Locals use taxis in Dubai, they either have their own driver or get behind the wheel no matter what state they are in.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat