Call To Change Law

Topic locked
Call to change law Mar 26, 2009
http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... ange%20law

A woman who knocked down and killed a pedestrian who ran out in front of her is setting up a support group for motorists who have been through the same ordeal. Sophie Farina, 23, spent four days in jail after she hit an Asian worker who darted out in front of her car on a busy road behind the Mall of the Emirates two years ago. “It was a complete nightmare,” she said. “There was nothing I could do to stop and I hit the guy.

“I was in shock and taken straight to a holding cell. No-one told me what was going on and I was terrified I was going to end up in prison even though it wasn’t my fault.” After reading about last week’s accident on Sheikh Zayed Road when mum-of-three Sandra Grams ran over and killed a man trying to cross the carriageway, Sophie has decided to set up a support group for drivers and their families who have found themselves in the same situation. “I know there are other people out there who have been through a similar sort of thing and after hearing about the accident on Sheikh Zayed Road, it brought it all back and I want to help other people who have been affected by this sort of thing,” she said.

After months of anguish and a lengthy legal process, the wrongful death case against Sophie was eventually closed and she escaped a custodial sentence. “I hope it will help people to get together and talk to other people who have gone through what they are going through and realise they’re not alone,” she said. She also wants to campaign for a change in the law that would end the prosecution of motorists who hit pedestrians on high-speed roads. She said: “It’s obviously a tragedy when it happens but it is an accident.”To contact Sophie, email sophie_farina@hotmail.com.

worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2009
Already being discussed!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat