Burj Dubai

Topic locked
Burj Dubai Jan 05, 2009
Iconic, architectural accomplishment or self indulgent waste of space built by an exploited workforce?

smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2009
Isn't the latter everything that Dubai stands for?
goobledegook
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jan 05, 2009
I like the look of the tower but is it neccessary?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2009
Muslim bloke told me that this construction frenzy is written in the Koran: 'Men of the desert will compete for the tallest building.'
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2009
Everything has to be bigger and better.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Everything has to be bigger and better.

Bigger, yes, better, I'm not sure.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2009
any competitors for burj dubai!!!!?

:?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 05, 2009
Del wrote:Muslim bloke told me that this construction frenzy is written in the Koran: 'Men of the desert will compete for the tallest building.'

Did he tell you what will happen next? Something along the lines of the Egyptians and their Pyramids?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 05, 2009
hey this is only fo rich ppl to talk about , you cheap ones only get to see it from SZR :)
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Burj Dubai Jan 04, 2010
Right sadly the expat class in dubai surely cannot spare a 100 dhs odd to get into the burj .. surely not!! We'l just have to sit this one out n let the 'rich' revel in their glory. Il be sure to catch it on the tele though maybe live on my private jet on the way to Vegas !!
olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Burj Dubai Jan 04, 2010
In a major slap in the face, the Burj Dubai has been renamed the Burj Khalifa.
Dubai is broke, it cant pay its debts, big brother bailed it out, putting its name on it.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Burj Dubai Jan 05, 2010
herve wrote:In a major slap in the face, the Burj Dubai has been renamed the Burj Khalifa.
Dubai is broke, it cant pay its debts, big brother bailed it out, putting its name on it.

Ah finally someone who dares to speak out that important 'last minute' fact... :lol:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Now they will have to change all the signage for the metro stations and all over the city and on the building.
It s like a metaphoric repo, let s see what the future leads to: Palm Khalifa, Khalifa Islands, khalifa Metro.
I dont see Sage boasting about Dubai now that its glory is fading away.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Jan 05, 2010
Del wrote:Muslim bloke told me that this construction frenzy is written in the Koran: 'Men of the desert will compete for the tallest building.'

Was it right after you were walking around in the gym with your **** hanging out?
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Re-naming the Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa was a major show of respect towards the President of the UAE. I would expect nothing less from the DB's and EC's to have a go at this.
You can all say what you want, this building is a major achievement in anyones book, and by the way, it made Emaar a lot of profit.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I'm sure the great pyramids were not necessary but they are still marveled at today. (built by slave labour)
Since Dubai really does not have that much oil wealth I think its a great draw for tourism. Whether you were a cheap labourer or an engineer one would have to be proud to be part of such an achievement. There is others who will always find negative in anything. In case you have not noticed the world is a great place. Now if we can stop wars and all get along that would be something.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

sage & onion wrote:Re-naming the Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa was a major show of respect towards the President of the UAE. I would expect nothing less from the DB's and EC's to have a go at this.
You can all say what you want, this building is a major achievement in anyones book, and by the way, it made Emaar a lot of profit.

A major achievement, yes, but not from Dubai, it was designed, built and paid for by foreigners. And if only Emaar will make a lot of profit, as you say, It' ll prove again that investing in Dubai is a bad choice.
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Re-naming the Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa was a major show of respect towards the President of the UAE. I would expect nothing less from the DB's and EC's to have a go at this.

A major achievement, yes, but not from Dubai, it was designed, built and paid for by foreigners. And if only Emaar will make a lot of profit, as you say, It' ll prove again that investing in Dubai is a bad choice.

If you invest wisely no problem with Dubai, if greed is your motif it is not only Dubai that is a bad choice.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Yes - We should have respect if this (Burj Dubai) belongs to the ruler of UAE.
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Burj Dubai >>>>Burj Khalifa....hmmm !!!!
"Money does not talk, it shouts out loud" and the world has just witnessed it ;P
deadlife
Dubai Forums Talker

shouldnt it be Burj Zayed?

yes shk khalifa gave all the money but didnt shk zayed did the initial investment in the oil & gas industry?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sorry to say - People talk about due to respect. SO, where was the respect at the time of its beginning 21 September 2004 ?
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Well in true Arabic tradition, if you are given a gift, in this case cash to use as a bail out, then you are obliged to give a bigger gift in return, and what could be a bigger gift than the tallest building in the world?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I really think this is an awesome achievement for Dubai ,
Dubai has proved itself , Salute Sheikh Mohammed for his achievement ,
hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

They should've named it after me, me defending it all the time. but naming a monument and a land mark that should be named after a figure or a historic event, it's not about returning favors.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:They should've named it after me, me defending it all the time. but naming a monument and a land mark that should be named after a figure or a historic event, it's not about returning favors.

I don't know about naming it after you but the rest I agree with Kid
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

deadlife wrote:Burj Dubai >>>>Burj Khalifa....hmmm !!!!
"Money does not talk, it shouts out loud" and the world has just witnessed it ;P

Exactly.

Although the fireworks mediashow was great for the serfs living in Dubai. The fact that Sheikh Mo's ego had to bend over to receive the bail outs from Sheikh Khalifa was obvious to the rest of the world. The facts now speak for themselves.

Dubai doesn't have a penny to scratch for. I really wonder if the man has got vision other then squandering ideas. If so, why doesn't he take care of his lower class workers, build some decent and affordable housing for them and erect another giant sewage plant instead (to stop the Persian Gulf's waters and storm drains from flows of excrement and desalination slush) of a Burj with 40 top floors that are too small to be inhabited!

Irrational exhuberance at its top.

This is pure and simple greed when you have an 'emperor' with nothing to show for. There's a saying for this:

Only when the tide goes out, the swimmer with no clothes on is revealed.

I wonder if he places this rhyme on his next island project borrowed from investment banks. :blackeye:
RobbyG

Ohh truly a major show of respect. 8)

The Burj Dubai was the height of opulence and excess at the top of the real estate boom in 2007. Emaar might have sold 90% at peak prices, but please remember the cost of that building.

Emaar surely made a profit, how did they?

- At building peak there were 12000 workers from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh working at the same time in the absurd heat for $3 to $6 dollars a day. What was it, 10 hour shifts? And under great living conditions of course.... :shock:

- Most (speculative) investors who bought property in the Burj Khalifa from Emaar had to pay peak prices in 2006 and 2007, so Emaar cashed in allright.

- Real estate prices have dropped 50% from peak. Emaar still made the profit. Every other greedy buyer took the hit. Great investments right? Get outta here.

- Maintenance prices per square foot are 4 to 5 times higher than surrounding developments. Burj Khalifa's maintenance fees are 80 to 90 Dirhams per square foot per year! Another great investment prospect....

- With office vacancy rates of 40% currently in Dubai, the speculative nature of the Burj Khalifa's investors are now left with the bag. Who wants to rent office space for top rents with excess commercial space in abundance?

Say Sage, when will you get your facts right mate? 8)

You are deceiving DF once again with your serfile respect for plutocratic greed. Get real. :twisted:
RobbyG

Well said Robby, sheikh mo' must have been weeping from the inside when he announced the new name. Nothing says "we own you now" like taking the name of the city's biggest achievement.
TeddyBear
Dubai Forums Member

TeddyBear wrote:Well said Robby, sheikh mo' must have been weeping from the inside when he announced the new name. Nothing says "we own you now" like taking the name of the city's biggest achievement.

Of course he did. The man should be shaming his rear-end off with such an ego.

I hope he comes to terms with his vision and start thinking about the other 90 percent of his nations inhabitants. We all have the best for Dubai in mind, only when the people are treated with respect.

I see major gaps with rich and poor and there comes a day when those workers have to leave. Who's gonna take care of those ego' elites then?

Change policy and become humane to everybody, is what I recommend to Sheikh Mo.
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat