Becoming Professional Pilot

Topic locked
Becoming Professional Pilot May 20, 2009
Does anybody here wanted to become professional pilot?

avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
Naa I never wanted to be a commercial pilot.
Would love to become a aerobatic air show pilot though.
Th eultimate would be Red Bull Air Race Pilot?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 20, 2009
i wanted to be pilot when i was a kid, but then fees are very high
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 20, 2009
portland wrote:i wanted to be pilot when i was a kid, but then fees are very high

Things have changed. The last 4-6 yrs were excellent. With the current recession though I know graduating commercial pilots settling for tele-marketing jobs. Tough times these.

What you require is a Commercial pilot license (CPL).

To obtain the CPL there are two prior licenses. Those licenses constitute only simulated flying and knowledge tests. Once you clear those tests, pilots normally get sponsored by airlines, for the final license and upon completion join the airline.

Obtaining thr CPL is mighty costly. Not so much the other two licenses.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 20, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Naa I never wanted to be a commercial pilot.
Would love to become a aerobatic air show pilot though.
Th eultimate would be Red Bull Air Race Pilot?

We can also train you on the basic aerobatics on our Cessna 152 Aerobat. Every performer always starts on the basic one...
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
portland wrote:i wanted to be pilot when i was a kid, but then fees are very high

Things have changed. The last 4-6 yrs were excellent. With the current recession though I know graduating commercial pilots settling for tele-marketing jobs. Tough times these.

What you require is a Commercial pilot license (CPL).

To obtain the CPL there are two prior licenses. Those licenses constitute only simulated flying and knowledge tests. Once you clear those tests, pilots normally get sponsored by airlines, for the final license and upon completion join the airline.

Obtaining thr CPL is mighty costly. Not so much the other two licenses.

Of course, once you've got your Commercial Pilot License then you'll earn a job. Think about the costs as your investment of your future career. You'll pretty have a good income out weighing what you've invested.
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
Your profile states that you are located in the Philippines? It's a bit of a stretch advertising your services here.

Having said that, I would love to do flying lessons... but I've heard it is a LOT of money for flying hours before you can complete your license!
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 20, 2009
dresden wrote:Your profile states that you are located in the Philippines? It's a bit of a stretch advertising your services here.

Having said that, I would love to do flying lessons... but I've heard it is a LOT of money for flying hours before you can complete your license!

That's correct. We advertise every where since we're an international school. We suggest a good budgeting prior taking a step in flying. In that way you'll accomplished your goal in your predetermined time.
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
I think the concept of taking a break and going to Philippines to study is fab. I'm assuming it'll be cheaper.A lot of other questions also arise. If the flying school is safe, recognized and is reasonably priced, I think it'd be awsome to invest bout 6 months in a flying program in Philippines or any other place for that matter.

Mr. Av training could you post the link to ur website?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 20, 2009
Your right. But remember that you're investing for your future career. It does not need to be cheaper or a short-term period. Flying is much about your skills and ability. Some people take it fast and others a little longer.
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
so far, we've trained 4 students from Dubai and they're now working as first officer in the A340 of Emirates Airline. Please feel free to visit us at avtraining1
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
MCL, Nah most people who go into flying do their PPL and instrument licences first, definately not straight into CPL.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 20, 2009
Are there any local flight schools?

Anyone knows??

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 20, 2009
Yes, Dubai airport does PPL as does UAQ Aeroclub and Jazira flyig school in RAK. Also one in Fujairah. Airport one is really expensive though.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 20, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:Are there any local flight schools?

Anyone knows??

8) 8)

Yes sir, there are local flight schools in UAE such as Horizon International Flight Academy in Al Ain International Airport. The difference between the training in UAE and the Philippines is the airspace system and the weather. That's the reason why some of the career-minded individuals prefer to get their training in the Philippines.
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
Etihad now run a pilot training programme in Abu Dhabi aswell.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 20, 2009
Yes, they are good schools. However, some students prefer to be trained by us in the Philippines because of the continuity of the training program. We train students from 00 time (without flying background) to Commercial Pilot License with Multi-Engine and Instrument Rating within 10 months period. This is possible considering the wide airspace system and tropical weather allowing you to fly continuously without delays.
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
visit us at Aviation Training One International
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 20, 2009
Thanks Chocs!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 20, 2009
You are welcome. I did a couple of lessons at UAQ and really loved it. I;d love to learn to fly, but my poor salary can't afford it unfortunately - boo
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 20, 2009
^^^poor salary - gunmen walking with you^^^

Do i miss something?
karans
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Becoming Professional Pilot May 20, 2009
avtraining1 wrote:Does anybody here wanted to become professional pilot?
Would love to experience the 10G of an F16 or Mug 29/Sukhoi. Unique.
PointGiven
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 20, 2009
karans wrote:^^^poor salary - gunmen walking with you^^^

Do i miss something?

I have the best job in the world, but we don't get paid much! Security because it's a broadcast compound.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 20, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:MCL, Nah most people who go into flying do their PPL and instrument licences first, definately not straight into CPL.

That's what I said get ur Private Pilots License first, then the second license, which are much cheaper than the CPL.
After that in the good ol days, promising students were roped in by airlines. This worked for the students since the airlines sponsored the training for CPL, and the airline benefited with an employment contract.

Currently I know couple of guys who went down to Australia, got their licenses, but have yet to find employment.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 20, 2009
avtraining1 wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:Are there any local flight schools?

Anyone knows??

8) 8)

Yes sir, there are local flight schools in UAE such as Horizon International Flight Academy in Al Ain International Airport. The difference between the training in UAE and the Philippines is the airspace system and the weather. That's the reason why some of the career-minded individuals prefer to get their training in the Philippines.

Plus in case of a crash landing in Philippines the chances of landing in the sea are quite high. In the UAE you just might end up in a building! :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2009
For more than a decade now, we never had any incident or accident in our flight training operations.
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 26, 2009
avtraining1 wrote:For more than a decade now, we never had any incident or accident in our flight training operations.

I guess with proper training and well-maintained aircraft then you don't have any reason to be afraid of any incident or accident...
avtraining1
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 26, 2009
Im a pilot.

It is a very costly process, and no one at the present time will pay for it for you as there is an abundance of pilots ''on the market'' and new ones fresh out of college.

You will need

PPL - Private Pilots License - this costs in the region of 50,000 AED
CPL - Commercial Pilots License - this costs in the region of 300,000 AED

Over all including your Instrument Rating and college, studies e.t.c

Your looking around 500,000 AED, and that is without even getting considered for a job.

Most airlines will need at least 1000 hours to be considered, no real programs taking trainees at the moment,

start saving!!!
marcDXB123
Dubai Forum User

May 26, 2009
I've been told by pilots here it's also quicker and cheaper to do it in Texas or Florida (and a heck of a lot of fun). More emphasis on flying and less on paper tests.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 26, 2009
Yes that is true, its cheaper as well and the weather is fantastic.

I was at oxford aviation college and for 3-6 months we went to Arizona to fly there the only problem i see is if you do it alone how do you get US visa for 3-6 months border runs to Mexico?

we were able to get visas because the college sponsored us
marcDXB123
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat