Warning: "independent Financial Advice" For Expats

Topic locked
Warning: "independent financial advice" for expats Jun 21, 2007
Beware of salesmen posing as "independent financial advisors"

This article fairly accurately reflects my own experience (see below): How expats are exploited by the offshore financial services industry

Other info that I wish I'd read beforehand (bearing in mind that the money was paid in an entirely regular manner to the insurer for a real investment and not to the "advisor"):
How you can spot a con artist
How to recognise a scam
Scambuster guide

I was persuaded to sign up for a 20-year life insurance policy by a company claiming to provide independent financial advice on offshore investments for expats. It was only after receiving the policy documents that I realized that their content contradicted what I had been led to believe. The "independent financial advisor" had misrepresented crucial aspects of the investment and told me exactly what I needed to hear in order to sign up. He seemed straightforward and knowledgeable and had a ready answer to every question. He seemed the kind of person you'd want to do business with. Yet I was subsequently able to confirm, by asking a crucial question about his background which I had asked him when I first met him, that he had been lying to me: he told me two equally impressive and convincing-sounding stories, but in each case the facts were different.

Please be careful out there.

UAESandy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Independent Financial Advisors Jun 27, 2007
Ref posted about independent financial advisors,I would be interested in communicating with the poster to compare notes - it would have to be off this forum
Judith
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Independent Financial Advisors Jul 04, 2007
Judith wrote:Ref posted about independent financial advisors,I would be interested in communicating with the poster to compare notes - it would have to be off this forum

Why not post your own experience here? You can easily do so without naming names.
UAESandy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list