NMC Should Be Closed Down

Topic locked
  • Reply
NMC should be closed down Jun 28, 2009
Thats right. Too many screw ups and who knows how many more will take place.

Owner BR Shetty gets out of the hot soup every time.

1) Sept 2006 - NMC Dubai - a person Showkat Nazir dies because of a minor sinus operation. Details avilable on net

2) Apil 2009 - NMC turns away woman in labour - who then gives birth outside the hospital in a car.

3) June 2009 - Messes up food poisoning case of a family. Everyone knows the details

4) June 2009 - A female doctor and an executive director at one of the top private hospitals in Abu Dhabi have been fired and sued for causing brain damage to a baby during delivery. The hospital kept on its rolls, a doctor had already been banned from practising medicine in Abu Dhabi for negligence.

In item 4, the name of the hospital is not mentioned for obvious reasons - But I remain confident that it is NMC - from the description as well the nonsense mentioned. If anyone has proper info and I am wrong please update.

For some reason I notice they keep getting away with it. After the noise in the papers dies down, everyone forgets about it.

michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 321

  • Reply
Jun 28, 2009
There are so many more unofficial incidents.

The 4th incident is it NMC I'm not sure?

Well Mr Shetty is super powerful not just as a businessman but also as a lobbyist.

NMC has been a victim of their own success, they've expanded too fast, probably accumulated great debt, (how many fancy little hospitals do these people have?) and as such a lot of the services they offer are only for paper. Namely emergency room services etc.
Besides there is stiff competition for qualified medical specialists here in UAE.

They prefer surgeries, transplants, silicon implants, dermatology services, dentistry, consultation etc services which generate big revenues.

Anything that's effectively covered by your insurance or is high in cost. I won't be surprised if shortly they come out with health care insurance and an NMC credit card. This is nothing but blind opportunism.
From the afore mentioned incidents it's pretty clear their emergency rooms are grossly understaffed.

But at the same time this is not a fair assessment of anything. I'm sure there are two sides to this coin. After all every hospital has a bad track record.
People need to make educated decisions as to which hospitals are best suited for their needs.
And yes the government needs to regulate better.
In my opinion NMC needs to downsize, stick to a few specialty services first before expanding to other complex activities.

But the fact that NMC has not yet owned up for any of their gross errors is appalling! If heath care specialist don't have conscience then what good are they?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3033

  • Reply
Jun 28, 2009
As far as the food poisoning case is concerned it's hard to make judgment. We don't know what the exact sequence of events are. Likewise there is more than meets the eye. Some reports say that three people were admitted, some say 4. The 4th being the house help who did not consume the food apparently!
Likewise the restaurant made business of 25000 that night. There are no other cases of food poisoning. So the question that arises is were the children allergic to something?
And finally the statement released by NMC made it very clear that the autopsy is not released( I wonder if they'll make it public) so I do think it's essential to refrain from judgment. At this juncture I think people are being more emotional than factual.

What is required is the exact sequence of events. Any news publication worth their salt would've published that first. GN takes the cake in publishing half baked information.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3033

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
Agreed the papers reporting has been poor and a timeline is the basic reporting tool for such an incident. I do thank them for keeping it alive in the media.

Emotion vs Fact - as an 'outsider' remember you only know what the media has reported. Those closer know things like the amount of time it took to transfer Chelsea, once Nathan had passed away and of the lax attitude.

What sounds like emotion to you (on this case) may be reactions based on fact.

We will wait and watch if the powerful get away once again. Really the right thing for the hospital to do is admint on the fronts they went wrong, cancel licenses, replace staff with those who understand their responsibility and make it a top down approach for maral, ethical and responsible practice.

With the children being laid to rest today, this might soon go out of the media. I hope the public does not loose interest and continues to standby the parents waiting for the answers and to see measures taken that push up the standards of medical practice.

Its good to see the authorities take up food poisoning seriously and urge the public to call on 800900 immediately in case of suspected cases, so action can be taken.
realtime
UAE, Dubai Forum starter
Posts: 1

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
realtime wrote:Agreed the papers reporting has been poor and a timeline is the basic reporting tool for such an incident. I do thank them for keeping it alive in the media.

Emotion vs Fact - as an 'outsider' remember you only know what the media has reported. Those closer know things like the amount of time it took to transfer Chelsea, once Nathan had passed away and of the lax attitude.

What sounds like emotion to you (on this case) may be reactions based on fact.

We will wait and watch if the powerful get away once again. Really the right thing for the hospital to do is admint on the fronts they went wrong, cancel licenses, replace staff with those who understand their responsibility and make it a top down approach for maral, ethical and responsible practice.

With the children being laid to rest today, this might soon go out of the media. I hope the public does not loose interest and continues to standby the parents waiting for the answers and to see measures taken that push up the standards of medical practice.

Its good to see the authorities take up food poisoning seriously and urge the public to call on 800900 immediately in case of suspected cases, so action can be taken.


Fair Enough, ur probably right! In an emergency situation time is of the essence. Things unfortunately went horribly wrong here.

Still a medical report is awaited. Has the DHA or any health care institution confirmed it to be a case of food poisoning?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3033

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
realtime wrote:"......"


"The Dubai Health Authority (DHA) asserted that NMC Hospital where the children’s mother rushed them after a bout of vomiting and stomach cramps was negligent in the way it handled the case."

Does this sound like an emotional reaction to you? or official statement?
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 321

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:There are so many more unofficial incidents.

The 4th incident is it NMC I'm not sure?

Well Mr Shetty is super powerful not just as a businessman but also as a lobbyist.

NMC has been a victim of their own success, they've expanded too fast, probably accumulated great debt, (how many fancy little hospitals do these people have?) and as such a lot of the services they offer are only for paper. Namely emergency room services etc.
Besides there is stiff competition for qualified medical specialists here in UAE.

They prefer surgeries, transplants, silicon implants, dermatology services, dentistry, consultation etc services which generate big revenues.

Anything that's effectively covered by your insurance or is high in cost. I won't be surprised if shortly they come out with health care insurance and an NMC credit card. This is nothing but blind opportunism.
From the afore mentioned incidents it's pretty clear their emergency rooms are grossly understaffed.

But at the same time this is not a fair assessment of anything. I'm sure there are two sides to this coin. After all every hospital has a bad track record.
People need to make educated decisions as to which hospitals are best suited for their needs.
And yes the government needs to regulate better.
In my opinion NMC needs to downsize, stick to a few specialty services first before expanding to other complex activities.

But the fact that NMC has not yet owned up for any of their gross errors is appalling! If heath care specialist don't have conscience then what good are they?


B R Shetty is an Indian doctor who came penniless to the UAE in the early 70's and built himself a big business empire, with the the help of local partners.

He's part owner and CEO of NMC Hospital, ...and I think the Chairman of the hospital, Mr. Abdulla Humaid Al Mazroei, is the other partner.
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 1367

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
There are unfortunately a lot of incompetent doctors practicing in the UAE, some perhaps with fake degrees.

It seems that the Ministry of Health does not have enough people monitoring the practice of the country's health care professionals....

Hopefully the tragic death of Nathan and Chelsea would prompt them to be put in place a tougher monitoring program to weed out these bad doctors!
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 1367

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
As you pointed out NMC is a large and successful business empire.

Mr Shetty is not a doctor, as in medical practitioner. He's a clinical pharmacist.
The prefix doctor is probably owing to the fact that certain universities have conferred him with doctorates.

But I also have a feeling that he is influential as a lobbyist. He probably actively lobbies both ways UAE-India and vice versa. Just a hunch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbying
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3033

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:There are unfortunately a lot of incompetent doctors practicing in the UAE, some perhaps with fake degrees.

It seems that the Ministry of Health does not have enough people monitoring the practice of the country's health care professionals....

Hopefully the tragic death of Nathan and Chelsea would prompt them to be put in place a tougher monitoring program to weed out these bad doctors!


Add to the fake degrees, those (1) who were probably disbarred from practicing medicine due to malpractice/lawsuits or (2) who didn't do a required residency. This has always been something in the back of my head since coming to the UAE.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord
User avatar
Posts: 8411
Location: At the moment Dubai Forums

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
So here is presuming that all of you are qualified to comment on whether or not Doctors are competent????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16338
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
sage & onion wrote:So here is presuming that all of you are qualified to comment on whether or not Doctors are competent????


I'm so glad to hear you say that. People need to be objective. Yet at the same time if people are objective than weather they are qualified or not their judgments need to be respected. Are people on this forum being objective? I leave that to you to decide.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3033

  • Reply
Jun 29, 2009
sage & onion wrote:So here is presuming that all of you are qualified to comment on whether or not Doctors are competent????


Granted government regulation for doctors has improved tremendously in the last 3 years or so, but my opinion still stands. 12 years ago public confidence in doctors was very low when it came to major medical treatment. There was also very little regulation other than doctors providing certification. Today the government does take more steps in their investigation of qualifications.

You know yourself that there are doctors who are not competent to practice in Dubai (and the rest of the world for that matter). There have been many malpractice cases, but not necessarily published in the newspapers.

Iranian Hospital is an example of poor medical treatment. You go in with an earache and end up deaf from the treatment. A very dear friend (local) of mine was being treated by a doctor in Abu Dhabi for stomach ulcers. Since his condition did not improve and the pain increased he decided to go to the UK to seek treatment. Ended up that he had stomach cancer and passed away 6 months later - in the UK.

Further, many locals travel outside to the UK and US for medical treatment and expats generally return home for serious medical conditions.

Where else but here do you go to the doctor because you have a cold and walk out with 5 prescriptions? 12 years ago a doctor gave my husband a bagful of drugs to treat him for the flu and if there were 8 different kinds of drugs in the bag, 6 of them had passed the expiration date!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord
User avatar
Posts: 8411
Location: At the moment Dubai Forums

  • Reply
Jun 30, 2009
I think one of the biggest dangers to health is trusting too much in health practitioners and deferring to their "authority". People need to listen to their own bodies and trust their own instincts. If you don't think something is right you go and get more opinions. If you don't like the doctor or you get turned away, go elsewhere to find someone who can really listen to you and help get to the source of the problem.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006
User avatar
Posts: 6979
Location: In the Jungle

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 04, 2013
I just got an email asking me to remove this topic.

Here is the text:

Greetings,

This is to bring to your notice that on Jun 28, 2009, one Michael Dubai R ( member of Dubai forum) has posted a message in the “Dubai court forum” (dubai-chat/nmc-should-closed-down-t35860.html)
against the NMC company & Dr. B. R shetty.

“Please note that the statement that appeared in your web page relating to NMC is utterly false. This is posted with malafide intention to tamper our Company’s as well as B R shetty’s goodwill. Without any proof or authentic evidence one cannot post this kind of false message in the forum as well as a reputed online forum like Dubai forum should immediately delete this kind of post .

Hence, it is requested to remove the said statement from your web page immediately .

Awaiting your positive revert


There were no links in the original post so I googled a little and found some interesting links to add to it.
What do you think should I delete this topic? Or should I make it a sticky in the Dubai Health forum?
Cheers.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin
User avatar
Posts: 830

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 05, 2013
Why are they protesting 4 years after the original post? How strange.
What's the consequence of not removing it?
I've read worse on DF.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master
Posts: 931
Location: United Kingdom

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 05, 2013
Why are they protesting 4 years after the original post?

Because it's probably in google search results.

I don't know what could be the consequences, but from the links you can see that it is not false it's in the news.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin
User avatar
Posts: 830

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 06, 2013
I think that, ethically speaking, voicing one's grievances in this manner is just not right. It's slander. There are regulatory bodies in place in the UAE surely, and all complaints can go to them to be looked into. There are also courts, which are pretty active in case of any Medical negligence.

At best, the stories in the media, such as Gulf News is about 50% fantasy.

If someone is given an antacid for heart burn and that person dies of a heart attack 2 days later, does not mean the hospital poisoned him; I've seen such cases being reported in the press. Unsubstantiated and pure conjecture.
I dont believe in anonymous or in-cognito complainants either.
FF2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast
User avatar
Posts: 81
Location: Spectacular!

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 06, 2013
Andyba , thats the whole purpose of the internet , to connect and form a collective of imformation. what these guys are asking you to do is to hide this evidence. Tell them to provide proof that they are INNOCENT in all these case. Prove themselves that these statements are utterly false. Their companies reputation is already spoilt. they hire dummies on low salary, charge patients an arm and leg(and even their lives) . Mr Shittys goodwill is to make a handsome profit without caring whos lives he has messed up. i doubt that Mr shitty will even get himself admitted into his own hospital!!!!

DO NOT REMOVE THIS THREAD. (unless they offer you a handsome sum of money ) they cannot do anything , there is no law against the freedom of speech over the internet. since your website is probably hosted by a server in the US , and the domain name is international , i dont think your website is registered as a company in UAE , so you are perfectly fine! the local authorities cannot touch you even if they tried.

The nerve of these bstrds. i hope they go under. they are cheaters.

--- Feb 06, 2013 ---

FF2 ,you are seriously mistaken , i have a friend that lost both kidney thanks to wrong medication provided by Zara hospital in sharjah. the hospital refused to take blame for it and offered no compensation. the courts did nothing, even if he won the case he would only recieve about Dhs 100,000/- compensation. what good is that ? you wont be able to get a kidney transplant with that. he will probably die soon if he doenst get a transplant. so the hospital will get away with that easy.

my close friend lost his life because they gave him wrong medication in a hospital even thou we warned them agaisnt his diabetes. this was kuwaiti hospital sharjah. All the courst said was its in Allahs hand.

my other friend lost his eyesigh same reason of medication f..ups in qasimi . same courst senario. its Allahs will

iranian hospital cut out a friend of mines appendix , because they taugh if was infected . but after a week they found out it was annother problem. which wasnt serious.

another buddy fell of a motor bike , went to kuwaiti hospital , the failed to figure out that his shoulder was dislocated and gave him a poorly casted arm

my other buudies wife recently gave birth , in qasimi hospital , they told her that she was not due for another week and told her to go home, the same second they took her to GNC to give birth there.

they hospitals in UAE are horrid. they have no regualtions , they can get away with murder. there is no proper legal system when they can sue the hospital for millions , such as in europe . i havent been to a hospital in UAE since 7 years. after they tried to cut out my appendix , i ran away from them.

American hospital Dubai is the only Okay hospital, but i wouldnt use them for any major operations. cause i know they hire most of the f.. up from germany/england etc.
bossman
Dubai forums Addict
Posts: 207
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 07, 2013
Geez, your friends don't have much luck!

Or are you just being a drama queen?
BMreformed
Dubai chat master
Posts: 931
Location: United Kingdom

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 07, 2013
bossman ,

Have you got any friends left at all? You are loosing them all to the UAE Healthcare system.

That's a very high rate of attrition. I've counted 6!

Why are you still living in such a dangerous place? That's almost like a war-zone :shock:

Or are you just being a drama queen? :wink:
FF2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast
User avatar
Posts: 81
Location: Spectacular!

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 07, 2013
no drama , these are facts

nmc is the worse of the bunch

im just getting these out there so people know whats going on , when the doctor tries to scare you into gettings something done , always call it BS and get a second or third opinion. And if possible go to europe to get the procedures done.
bossman
Dubai forums Addict
Posts: 207
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 07, 2013
bossman wrote:And if possible go to europe to get the procedures done.


Now I know you're having a laugh.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master
Posts: 931
Location: United Kingdom

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Feb 11, 2013
Guys... No need to waste time finding answers. Knowing the nature of Dubai, if you feed money to the officials- you won't get shut down!
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 260
Location: Coruscant

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Sep 19, 2014
NMC should be closed down they are robbers. They will very low salary in U.A.E and lowest in the market. Once employee starts working they will start torturing. If employee resigns before contract or after renewal of contract they will beg and start robbery of one and half month salary. unethical practice specially B.R.Shetty's wife Chandra Kumari and Her Brother in H.R Department. They will put ban additional 1 year. Do not send even your enemies to this institution.
closenmchospital
UAE, Dubai Forum starter
Posts: 1
Location: Abu Dhabi AE

  • Reply
Re: NMC Should Be Closed Down Sep 20, 2014
NMC is just at front of my home, is it really true? I was happy that such a big hospital is nearby so easily accessible....
kiwistech
Dubai Forums Talker
User avatar
Posts: 178
Location: Dubai, UAE

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list