Getting A Driving/Riding License

Topic locked
Getting a driving/Riding license Jan 22, 2007
Hi Folks,
I have accepted a job offer in Dubai and will there in February. I was there recently on a visit and drove a rental car.
I have an Indian driving license which is not valid in UAE.

Do i need to take driving lessons right from scratch? Also can i apply for a car as well as a bike license simultaneously? I would buy a bike first :twisted:

And one last question, Can I rent a car using my International Driving Permit when I am on a work permit?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers,
Hiren

hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2007
Hiren you will need to attend 40 classes from the driving schools and then pass the garage, signal and road test.

You will need to first apply either a car and a bike licence and then the other

From what I've heard, you can only rent a car on a international licence on a visit visa
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 25, 2007
KeithL wrote:Hiren you will need to attend 40 classes from the driving schools and then pass the garage, signal and road test.

From what I've heard, you can only rent a car on a international licence on a visit visa

Darn! Just what I did not want to hear :cry: Even I had heard that one can rent a car only on a visit visa!
Now I will need to choose between a car or a bike. I guess, the heart will rule over the head. Bike it is!! :P
Hey Keith, Any progress on your bike?

Cheers
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2007
KeithL wrote:Hiren you will need to attend 40 classes from the driving schools and then pass the garage, signal and road test.

Does this mean 40 hrs of car...then, another 40 hrs of bike???!!! :shock: Geez....
So, how much is this all gonna cost me!!!!!!!??????? :?
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 26, 2007
beaujarle wrote:Does this mean 40 hrs of car...then, another 40 hrs of bike???!!! :shock: Geez....
So, how much is this all gonna cost me!!!!!!!??????? :?

My question exactly!! I've heard that it costs around 3k DHS per license. I'm not really sure though ...
Hoping for some other experienced forumer to reply.
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto