Audi A4 Vs BMW 318/320 Vs Jaguar X-Type

Topic locked
Audi A4 vs BMW 318/320 vs Jaguar X-Type Dec 31, 2007
Which is better? (i'm talking 2002-2003 used cars here). I'm partial to the Jag as it was the car i most liked growing up. From the reviews it seems the A4 is a bit better in terms of performance(?), but i'm no car buff so i'd welcome any inputs. Thanks.

studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 01, 2008
Only the BMW is somewhat reliable, compared to the other two turds.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 01, 2008
GT

crap i had a bmw 750 and now i have an A8

I have now seen the light and realise what a bunch of crap BMW produce.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 01, 2008
arniegang wrote:GT

crap i had a bmw 750 and now i have an A8

I have now seen the light and realise what a bunch of crap BMW produce.

Audis are nice on the surface, but no one has had anything but bad luck with them out of warranty.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 02, 2008
Go for the Jag if you want a car with soul.
Go for the BM if you want something boring, but reliable.
Go for the Audi if you want to look like a twat. Nothing against you Arnie but I hate them.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 02, 2008
hahaha, thanks y'all. appreciate the comments.

and between a wrx and an evo?
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 02, 2008
Evo - better in this country, easy to find accessories/parts, big groups with evo's in Dubai + I have an evo :)

WRX - Very hard to find in UAE, parts take long time to get here, not many people have it

I think the evo is more powerful than the wrx but not sure..
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 02, 2008
benwj wrote:Go for the Jag if you want a car with soul.

X-series jags are mondeos in disguise.
bonk

Jan 02, 2008
Go for the Audi if you want to look like a twat. Nothing against you Arnie but I hate them.

No offence taken.

But it is clear you have never driven an A8 4.2 v8

It would leave my 5.3 v12 standing in its exhaust fumes

:lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 07, 2008
arniegang wrote:

No offence taken.

But it is clear you have never driven an A8 4.2 v8

It would leave my 5.3 v12 standing in its exhaust fumes

:lol:

Exactly.
They are too good!
benwj

Jan 12, 2008
I drive a 2006 Audi A4 and it's lovely, have a small issue with the lights (Yet to even bother fixing them, my bad) but overall it's a very, very smooth ride and extremely safe (Quite important to me as I almost lost a sibling in an accident)... Performance-wise, I'm not too sure as the one I drive is the basic 2.0 engine, and it's not the most powerful car out there, especially since it's a relatively heavy car in comparison to the 318)... But overall, it depends on what YOU want from a vehicle really, I'd go for the A4 or even a Passat, which is not far off, elegant, smooth and has a similar (If not the same) wheelbase. German cars rock! :D
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 13, 2008
Hi!

Today the new statistics from the German automobile club were published, they publish statistics on breakdowns and other technical problems every year. For many years japanese cars were on top, as they used to be the most reliable cars. Two or three years back things changed and this was even more confirmed in this years statistics:
German manufacturers, especially BMW and Audi are now the most reliable cars on the market. Especially Toyota, who were on the top of the list for many years, lost in the ranking.

And my personal opinion... Audis are GREAT cars :)

Cheers,
Ben
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2008
Yey! :D

One thing I noticed when I compared between my basic A4 and the basic BMW 320 is that the Audi is packed with better features and feels more luxirious, despite the fact that it was cheaper... I think performance-wise the BMW is way better as it's a real-wheel drive AND lighter, but the Audi is better overall! And let's face it, all German cars are expensive to maintain, so unless you are comparing them to Jap cars in that regards, Audis KICK ASS :D
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 13, 2008
yeah, i've lusted after the quattros when i was a kid,, the jags i like too.

was down at the subaru dealer yesterday and the new impreza looked ghastly,, just not my type, theough the legacy i could go for.

thanks for the comments guys, keep em coming i havent decided yet :p
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 13, 2008
bschmidt wrote:Hi!

Today the new statistics from the German automobile club were published, they publish statistics on breakdowns and other technical problems every year. For many years japanese cars were on top, as they used to be the most reliable cars. Two or three years back things changed and this was even more confirmed in this years statistics:
German manufacturers, especially BMW and Audi are now the most reliable cars on the market. Especially Toyota, who were on the top of the list for many years, lost in the ranking.

And my personal opinion... Audis are GREAT cars :)

Cheers,
Ben

Yes, very believable. A German report praising German cars.

To anyone researching a used car, try www.carsurvey.org . If you read enough of the reviews by real people, you will find a pattern of problems that occur in each model. And avoid the reviews by people who drive their new lease car for 2 years and say the car is excellent, then replacing it to get another new lease car.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 13, 2008
gtmash wrote:Yes, very believable. A German report praising German cars.

:roll: I knew someone would say this, but believe it or not.. the German automobile club ('ADAC') is considered to be neutral.
And as I said, for decades japanese manufacturers were on top of the list... but not any more.

BS
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2008
bschmidt wrote:
gtmash wrote:Yes, very believable. A German report praising German cars.

:roll: I knew someone would say this, but believe it or not.. the German automobile club ('ADAC') is considered to be neutral.
And as I said, for decades japanese manufacturers were on top of the list... but not any more.

BS

Our friend is looking at 2002-2003 models. Out of warranty. Whether ADAC covers those years in its latest positive report or not, I'd still suggest him to read the owner reviews of those model years.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

X-Type's Apr 03, 2008
Having sold the Benz, BMW, and Jaguar. My experience has been the Jaguar will offer more standard features. Have a much larger trunk with fold down seats. A bigger back seat. Real leather. Most that you'll find are 3.0 engines putting out about 230hp and standard all wheel drive. I've seen 2 in service with over 160k miles on them with only wearables being changed.

Great steering and you can drift them nicely. We can ship new and used cars anywhere if you have trouble finding one. Jaguar has been on of the top rated companies in J.D.Powers for awhile now.
Gabriel
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto