Whiners Forum

Topic locked
Mar 26, 2008
please take a look alexat this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails- ... 4&tr_t=buy

in fact, if you look on rightmove.co.uk you will see quite a lot of 2 bed flats for sale in london for 200k

:D

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 26, 2008
please take a look alex at this

in fact, if you look on rightmove.co.uk you will see quite a lot of 2 bed flats for sale in london for 200k

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 26, 2008
Good to see some people are standing up to greedy landlord. Good for you DD. More people should do the same.

Hey Alex, I'll give you 24K for the place 2K/month.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2008
Who changed the title to Shed? Its probably a good description for DSO
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 26, 2008
I drove past there last night and there's absolutely nothing there. Building site at the moment.

Mirdiff these days is not that far out of town, with the new Garhoud bridge and business bay it only takes me 20 mins into town now. Plus with Festival City, there's a lot more nice things around that area these days.

The places that are standing empty are once again, down to landlords asking for stupid rents, when you can still find decent rates.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2008
Choc if u had a marina 1 bed appartment to rent in a tower where
people were paying 120.000 a year,how much would u charge?
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 26, 2008
P.S That question goes out to everyone.
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 27, 2008
Yes it's all about location, location, location. even in Jumeirah Lake Towers, a studio will set you back 85,000 Dhs. In the Marina, you can sort of justify it, again because of the location, however basic infrastructure is still not there, it's one road in, one road out, the traffic is a disaster in that place.

If your company is willing to pay for it, then fine, but when accomodation allowance doesn't event cover a third of your rent, then you have to weigh it up. Everyone's situation is different, some people will be happy paying that, others will not.

Again I'd rather share and live in a big place where the rent is lower.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 27, 2008
Choc so now you are saying some rents are justified.A bit of a climbdown.
Ok,so u have a unit at DSO,everyone there is paying 75.000.How much do u charge?
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 28, 2008
I wouldn't oiwn a place over there anyway. Don't like the location.

I've said all I have to say on the subject.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 28, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:I wouldn't oiwn a place over there anyway. Don't like the location.

I've said all I have to say on the subject.

In other words of course u would ask for the same rate as everyone else.I rest my case.
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 28, 2008
arniegang wrote:please take a look alexat this

Ex-council flat in Peckham vs apartment in the marina. No comparison.

You really have managed to pick one of the worst areas in London to compare to one of the best in Dubai. Very good.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 28, 2008
Tenants are free to choose how much they want to pay, and landlords are free to choose how much they want to charge, therefore, Adam Smith's invisible hand suggest an equilibrium will be achieved.

If you can't pay, then pack your bags and leave. Go back to London (if that is where you're from) and pay GBP200k for an ex-council flat in Peckham.

Besides greed is good, and if this free capitalist market spanks my ass (and every other property investor) later when prices collapse, then I deserve it.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 28, 2008
Alex1111 wrote:Choc if u had a marina 1 bed appartment to rent in a tower where
people were paying 120.000 a year,how much would u charge?

I would charge 150k a year, then realise no tenant would be prepared to pay. Since greed is my only motivation I would be forced to reduce to 120k. Then I would post on a forum - "tight tenants not paying landlords enough"
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 28, 2008
arniegang wrote:i repeat you can get a nice 2 bed in london for around £200k (not central)

i repeat you wont find a decent 2 bed for under 2million Dhs = £300k in the Marina, note the word decent ie NOT Marina Diamond 1,2.3.4....and NOT JBR

I repeat 2 bed in London for GBP200k ex-council in Peckham not nice.

I repeat 2m AED in Marina (not Marina Diamond) decent and available.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 29, 2008
onetickin wrote:
arniegang wrote:please take a look alexat this

Ex-council flat in Peckham vs apartment in the marina. No comparison.

You really have managed to pick one of the worst areas in London to compare to one of the best in Dubai. Very good.

I never even bothered to check cos I knew it was bull and u just proved it.
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 29, 2008
onetickin wrote:Tenants are free to choose how much they want to pay, and landlords are free to choose how much they want to charge, therefore, Adam Smith's invisible hand suggest an equilibrium will be achieved.

If you can't pay, then pack your bags and leave. Go back to London (if that is where you're from) and pay GBP200k for an ex-council flat in Peckham.

Besides greed is good, and if this free capitalist market spanks my a#s (and every other property investor) later when prices collapse, then I deserve it.

I think the main point here is that as tenants,these people are obviously going to moan about rental prices,I would.As owners though which they are not,they would ask the going rate for their property and it would be real nice if they,especially Choc,admitted it.
P.S Oneticket u interested in my shed?
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 30, 2008
I'm not going to admit to anything. I'll see what I will do when my property is delivered next year.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 30, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:I'm not going to admit to anything. I'll see what I will do when my property is delivered next year.

In other words if u rent it you will rent it for the going rate even if others consider it high.I rest my case.
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 30, 2008
Alex - No thanks, I'm not in need of a shed. But, charge as much as you can, and good luck with it. Plenty of tenants moaning now, but none will have sympathy when, and if, the equity values collapse for landlords.

Choco - please rent me your place when it is ready, but for lower than market price, otherwise I will call you a greedy landlord.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 30, 2008
Alex1111 wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I'm not going to admit to anything. I'll see what I will do when my property is delivered next year.

In other words if u rent it you will rent it for the going rate even if others consider it high.I rest my case.

That maybe, but my biggest problem with you is that fact that you want a whole years rent upfront, which is totally unreasonable. As I said before I'm perfectly willing to rent on a monthly basis. Actually my apartment will be for short term rents, not long term. Because of it's location it's more condusive to that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 30, 2008
yes, short term rents are more profitable (albeit more work and managing). Damm greedy landlords!!!
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 30, 2008
Choc I did say I would except 2 x 6month cheques.As for 1 month cheque,I'll do that if u pay me double the going rate.Ok?
Otherwise,please tell me why the hell I would?
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 30, 2008
For the very simple reason that it will make it easier to rent! Are you really so dense so as not to understand that fact. Why do you NEED a years worth upfront? Nowhere else in the world does it work that way, drag yourself into the 21st century would you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 30, 2008
P.S Would appreciate it if Chocs & Co did not corrupt my new thread
so please don't post sarcastic messages.
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 31, 2008
If Alex wants 1, or 2, or a massive 10ft*5ft cheque then that is what he wants. If no tenant is prepared to give him what he wants, then he will have to reduce his demands.

He needs a years rent upfront because-
1) doesn't have to deal with the hassle of 12 installments.
2) can now use that capital to buy another apartment, and try to make more money
3) most of all his motivation is money. He wants lots of it.

No where else works in that way because there are enough landlords to fight over each other to get tenants in. Until Dubai is flushed with supply, landlords don't have to compete against each other.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 31, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:For the very simple reason that it will make it easier to rent! Are you really so dense so as not to understand that fact. Why do you NEED a years worth upfront? Nowhere else in the world does it work that way, drag yourself into the 21st century would you.

If I'm dense then god knows what that makes u!
Firstly,I have said I would take 2x6month cheques.Secondly,when everyone else is paying 2x6 or 1x12 why would I take monthly cheques?!
I'm in no hurry to rent and as soon as its ready and my property agent has advertised it will go straight away.I'm just doing a little free advertising here myself,thats all.
Oh,just a question Choc.When your place is ready,am I right in thinking not only will u rent it for much less than the going rate,but u will also accept 12cheques even if u can get 2x6?
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 31, 2008
onetickin wrote:If Alex wants 1, or 2, or a massive 10ft*5ft cheque then that is what he wants. If no tenant is prepared to give him what he wants, then he will have to reduce his demands.

He needs a years rent upfront because-
1) doesn't have to deal with the hassle of 12 installments.
2) can now use that capital to buy another apartment, and try to make more money
3) most of all his motivation is money. He wants lots of it.

No where else works in that way because there are enough landlords to fight over each other to get tenants in. Until Dubai is flushed with supply, landlords don't have to compete against each other.

Errr,ref to point 2 -After I've paid my prop.management fees,
snagging/handover fees,been screwed for maintenance,registration fees with DSO headquarters,transferred money back to UK and lost on currency exchange,then been screwed by the goverment for tax,
the only living accomadation I'll be buying is another box!

One day Dubai will indeed be flushed with supply so thats why landlords are getting as much as they can now cos when the oversupply is here I'll be lucky to get 30.000
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 31, 2008
Alex, and when that time comes, I hope someone here (maybe Choc) will stand up for the greedy and unreasonable tenants.

Good luck for now, and get as much as you can, because no tenant is going to give a damm if you can't keep up with payments as long as he/she has cheap rent.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 31, 2008
Before the time when tenants have the upper hand,long before,Chocs herself will be a greedy and unreasonable landlord trying to get as much as she can for her property.
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai