Work Ethics In Dubai

Topic locked
Work Ethics in Dubai Nov 12, 2006
It's really disappointing. Here I am thinking that taking positive initiatives are good. But then my boss doesn't seem to appreciate such gestures and told me off about it. From where I came from, not taking initiatives at work equates to incompetence. I've talked with many people in dubai regarding work ethics here and their advise was usually to just do only what the boss tells you to do- just like what a robot would do. I heed their advise and it seem ok.. but quite mind numbing..
Is this kind of work attitude normal here? What else do you guys think should I know about work ethics in Dubai? Thanks.

yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2006
If you are working for a multi-national company it is likely a better place for employee initiative than if you are working for a local company.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 12, 2006
Employees who are proactive at work are much appreciated. I personally would like to work with people who are proactive and who has initiatives. I really don't know what kind of work environment you're working for.

Sometimes being proactive is a negative to a boss as he/she sees it as a threat to his position or whatsoever. But i don't see anything wrong with being proactive, or maybe you're doing things without your boss' knowledge or things/decisions that are no longer under your jurisdiction anymore.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 12, 2006
Yes, I am working for a local company- a middle east-based company that is. I was thinking maybe it's a cultural thing? Because I thought, even though I haven't worked for a multi-national company (which I think means ran by westerners), they would entertain ideas from employees gladly. While here in the ME, I feel it's all about being the boss, being on top and being in control of everyone. I hope I'm wrong about this..
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2006
asc_26 wrote:Employees who are proactive at work are much appreciated. I personally would like to work with people who are proactive and who has initiatives. I really don't know what kind of work environment you're working for.

Sometimes being proactive is a negative to a boss as he/she sees it as a threat to his position or whatsoever. But i don't see anything wrong with being proactive, or maybe you're doing things without your boss' knowledge or things/decisions that are no longer under your jurisdiction anymore.

You have a point there. But the thing is in my case, I haven't actually started working on the idea yet and consulted the boss first. I thought it was a great idea since my co-workers thought the same.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2006
yujinn wrote:Yes, I am working for a local company- a middle east-based company that is. I was thinking maybe it's a cultural thing? Because I thought, even though I haven't worked for a multi-national company (which I think means ran by westerners), they would entertain ideas from employees gladly. While here in the ME, I feel it's all about being the boss, being on top and being in control of everyone. I hope I'm wrong about this..

Discuss things with your boss, what you're planning to do & how you want to do the work. I think it would be better this way, communication is the key...don't assumed on something. Show to your boss that you're responsible and dependable and never do anything that is against your boss because at the end of the day HE/She is still your boss. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 12, 2006
In many parts of the world initiative is an absolute must - and employees are not deemed valuable without it. However, in other parts of the world dictatorship style is the norm and workers are supposed to follow orders only.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 12, 2006
I guess you're fortunate to have a boss who listens. While in my case, ideas get shot down before they could even take off. I've tried explaining stuff with my boss on several occasions, but he always cut discussions short, saying how these things are easy, blah blah... making it appear that I didn't know what I was doing but in fact I do.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2006
yujinn wrote:I guess you're fortunate to have a boss who listens. While in my case, ideas get shot down before they could even take off. I've tried explaining stuff with my boss on several occasions, but he always cut discussions short, saying how these things are easy, blah blah... making it appear that I didn't know what I was doing but in fact I do.

Well as per Kanelli, it's the dictatorship style - you have to follow orders. So sad, take your time and see it as something positive, otherwise you'll dread going to work everyday.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai