Labor Card Issues

Topic locked
Labor Card Issues Dec 22, 2008
Hi All,

I jus joined like a few minutes bak and my ques is:

Is it illegal for women to work in dubai on husband's or father's sponsorship? whn did this rule come?

I need to apply for my labor card but they tell me its illegal to work on father's sponsorship & i cannot get a labor card.

Can sumone help

Thanks

bhavna
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 24, 2008
noone can answer my ques :?
bhavna
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 24, 2008
As far as I am aware, it is perfectly legal to work on a husband or father's visa. That rule has been here for years and I have not heard of anything to change it. There are hundreds of thousands of women here doing just that.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 27, 2008
I disagree w/ you DK...
My wife is working with me in the same company.Fist, she was under my sponsorship (Husbands visa) after few months my boss asked me to make an NOC letter because they are going to make her an Employment visa to avoid penalty.
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 28, 2008
My understanding is that the husband or father sponsorship is for residency not employment. The company she works for doesn't have to provide residence visa but is supposed to apply for a work permit / labour card. Here's something from the Gulf News October 2007:

An expatriate woman who is sponsored by a father or husband can work in any job, even if she is listed in the resident visa as housewife.

The woman only needs to obtain a labour card which should be renewed every year.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 29, 2008
ArchitectRoel wrote:I disagree w/ you DK...
My wife is working with me in the same company.Fist, she was under my sponsorship (Husbands visa) after few months my boss asked me to make an NOC letter because they are going to make her an Employment visa to avoid penalty.

Did she actually get the emplyment visa or the NOC was only for her labor card? I had to draft an NOC letter for my wife just for her labor card for a teaching job in Dubai.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 31, 2008
K-Dog wrote:
ArchitectRoel wrote:I disagree w/ you DK...

Did she actually get the emplyment visa or the NOC was only for her labor card? I had to draft an NOC letter for my wife just for her labor card for a teaching job in Dubai.

Sorry,That NOC was for her labor card.Her residency is still under my sponsorship.
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 31, 2008
Married women and unmarried women on their father’s residency sponsorship can work as long as they have a valid labour card issued to them by their employer.

Many employers prefer to have women in such situations work for them under their (the companies) residency sponsorship as it is cheaper. The system used to be (it may have changed), that women on their husbands/ fathers residency sponsorship would have their labour cards and medical tests done yearly and not every 3 years, the company would also have to pay an additional fee of 10,000 AED per year to the Labour Department for a person working under these conditions.

As pointed out the husband or father would have to provide the company with a NOC stating that he has no objection that the wife/ daughter work for the company.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 15, 2009
thank you guys for all the replies, its really helped. now if i can ask one more ques. how does it work for employees working in a consulate? do they hav to change their sponsorship or can ladies working for a consulate aldo work wit just a labor card.
bhavna
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 16, 2009
good question. i actually have no idea how consulates/ embassies are handled in the uae. i do know that some of the embassies hire foreign nationals (not nationals of the host consulate/ embassy) in office positions.

i would assume that they have some kind of arrangement with the labour/ immigration department and may be treated as a company from an employment and sponsorship perspective.

if you/ your spouse has an offer the easiest way to find out would be to ask the embassy concerned - they may have an internal policy to consider.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai