Job Losses

Topic locked
Job losses Dec 09, 2008
Hi All

I am relocating to Dubai in January in the area of recruitment, to be more specific in Construction recruitment. I will be working in an agency type company however I have been hearing a lot lately that the recession around the world has hit Dubai also with a lot of job losses - obviously this will not make my job very easy in obtaining clients!

Can anyone give me some info. on the extent of job losses over there and whether the construction industry is being hit hard with regards to job losses!

Any info from the people on the ground would be MUCH appreciated before I sign the dotted line!

Thanks
K

mizzyk
Dubai Forum User

Dec 11, 2008
Dubai's three largest real estate developers are Nakheel, Dubai Properties and Emaar.

Nakheel have paid off 500+ last Friday from a staff list of 3,000.
Dubai Properties paid off 600+ the other week.
Emaar I beleive paid off 200+.

The above numbers are widely beleived to be only the first round!

The above figures do not include the Consultants employed by these companies. The Consultant companies have also been 'releasing' staff that have been 'released' from the major developers.

Saying that, the projects that are in the ground will continue to be built, infrastructre projects will, most likely, go ahead and its only the projects not yet broken ground that will be 'delayed'! Unfortunately from a recruitment perspective, it's these future projects that you'll probably have been relaying on to place staff!!

It is not a comfortable time to be in construction in Dubai at the moment.

Before signing the dotted line, check out other threads on salary, rent, tax free entitlement & cost of living to undertsand better if you're going to be milking it out here or living off credit cards!!!!!!!!!

All the best.
Cynical Scot
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 11, 2008
its all so under the hood though
Morgan
Dubai Forum User

Dec 11, 2008
Not too sure about the issue being kept under the hood. I heard all the news mentioned above on the Business Breakfast show on local radio (can't remember which station, but they are mainly talking, no music). I've found them quite frank about what is happening.

The Arabian Business website also seems to tell it like it is, or at least closer to how it is than the Gulf News or Government releases do.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Dec 30, 2008
They said that this crisis will continue to worsen next year (2009).
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai