Internship

Topic locked
Internship Nov 11, 2008
Hi,

I am an undergrad student at Ohio Wesleyan Univ, US, majoring in Economics/Finance and minoring in Accounting. I am in my final year but I am taking this semester off and looking for an internship in the Middle East region, preferably Dubai.

I am taking this semester off and would appreciate some quick references as I am running short of time.

Thanks and Regards,

Umair Kaimkhani

ukaimkhani
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 14, 2008
I'll give you a reference :lol:
temptationsu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

asap Nov 14, 2008
I appreciate that you can give me some references for my internship, but it would be better if you can do it earlier rather then later, as it would be of no use to be if I ran out of time.

Thanks and Regards,
Umair Kaimkhani
ukaimkhani
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 17, 2008
Here’s a short piece i did on student work, as it applies to internships as well.

"Student work/ holiday jobs

The UAE and Dubai Labour Law do not recognise short-term holiday or vacation jobs. Any company advertising positions in the UAE for students is more than likely going to try and get you to work on a visit visa! The law does cover “apprentice” contracts; however I feel this is probably to cover the use of children (under 18) as camel jockeys rather than offering trade apprenticeship.

The newly introduced Mission Visa could however, offer and alternative. These are available for 3 months and 6 month periods, and cover temporary or short-term employment."

Additionally, another reason is that employers would have to pay exactly the same costs on employing a short-contract employer as they would have in employing someone on a 3 year contract.

Dubai is in some ways a cut-throat-type of business market and most employers cannot risk the expense and also sometimes financial exposure of employing unqualified or un-experienced persons, hence the reluctance to take students on in internship positions.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 17, 2008
damn...thats intense...so apparently there is very thin hope of me getting an internship this year.

will still try though
cheers
ukaimkhani
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai